1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1987 cr 430 Husqvarna re-build

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by troublemaker, Jan 15, 2011.

1. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

While waiting on parts I welded on the kickstand I got off Ebay.I just need to come up with some sort of a lock to keep it in the up position if the spring breaks.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. 86 400 XC Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    75,82,83,2x84,85,3x86,87,88 and 89
    Other Motorcycles:
    more Huskys
    Nice bike!

I want real forks for mine...
  3. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

All back together now,spent the last few hours trying to get the jetting in the ballpark.I started with a 168 main and it was blubbering fat,got down to a 162 and it still seems a bit fat but it's close enough to go ride while the rings seat in.
    Does this jetting seem close,I have a 38mm air striker carb?This bike had a 38mm mikuni carb on it when I got it and it had a 170 main in it,so I'm a little confused as to why the Keihn carb only wants a 162 main.
    Anybody.....?

[IMG]
    Motosportz likes this.
  4. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks,
  5. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Update... I am a dumb azz...
    Dropped the clip to the top, back to the 168 main runs very well now.
    I am very lucky I didn't get the piston again.
  6. Schlava Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Honda CT70
    Wow amazing job. I got into bikes in 85 and when they changed the looks of the 87 430 I fell in love. So thanks to cl I just picked one up in decent shape that had the motor in a box when I got it. What is the deal with the kick start return spring. Mine looks mangled. Where again did you get your plastic
  7. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Some updates,I scored a set of Ohlins forks for my new CR 500 A/F so I upgraded the husky too and used the Showa's off the Honda for the husky.After riding the 500 Honda with the Ohlins I had to have a set for the husky even tho the Showa's were a huge improvement over the KYB's I put on at first.I have been looking everywhere with no avail untill last week a guy came up to me at the motocross track to check out my Honda and saw the set on it and told me he had a set and wanted to sell them.So....the Husky has a sweet set of Ohlins forks now.A picture of my honda with the Ohlins on it,and a picture of the Husky with the Showas.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  8. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I also scored a water cooled Husqvarna XC500 bottom end from a member here and have been collecting parts for the 500 build.I bought a used jug off fleabay,a set of jug nuts,a new piston,and complete gasket set.All should be here this week,only thing left is to bore the jug.
    Next on list is a new pipe.
  9. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry I missed you're post.Ha,Craigs list is my drug dealer...I used to have 7 dirt bikes,then realized I couldn't afford all them so I keep it at 2 now.I love this 87 husky,I can ride it all day long.Most of my riding buddy's have to have the latest stuff out there and can't understand it when I load my husky in the back of my truck along side of my 500 Honda when we go ride.
    The front fender is Honda,the radiator shrouds are stock,I buy every set I see on ebay because they break easy.same with the air filter cover and side # plates.The rear fender is from DC plastics,their plastics are of the worst quality and finish but do the job if you don't care what they look like,it looks like they did no prep work on the molds when they did this stuff.From 30ft away they look great.
    Post a picture of said kicker spring.
  10. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

I ordered a new Dyno-port pipe today,Rich said he only has a couple of these pipes left.
  11. bronkorob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1974 YZ125A
    that is a NICE 430! hope that bottom end works out for you. im still itching to take mine out for the first ride. i already know i want to swap the forks for the adjust-ability of modern forks, just waiting to get the rest of the bike dialed in. what did you like more about the showas over the KYBs? were they just different generations of forks or something else? ive had my fair share of yamahas, and have had a lot of experience with various sets of KYBs, not so much when it comes to showas though. what do you like better on the showas vs the kybs?
  12. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

The KYB'S were just super harsh,if you hit anything with a sharp edge you would feel it all the way up to you're teeth.The Showa's were re-sprung and valved so they were much better.The Ohlins are off the scale better,at least they are on my Honda.My left shoulder is real bad so I need all the help I can get with the suspension and the reason both my bikes have steering damper's and Flexx Bars.
    The 500 engine should be in and running next week I hope.
  13. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

The 500 engine is in and running,need to move the clip back up a couple spots it's a bit lean when I roll off the throttle.These things don't vibrate any more than my Honda CR500's,yea if you're used to 125's they vibrate.I must say,it's a torque monster with the 15/54 gearing,I was being real easy on it and riding 3rd gear wheelie's just rolling the throttle.I'm happy with it so far.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    Nice, that was quick!! Can you tell a big difference between the 430 and the 500?
  15. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks,I had a light workload in the shop today so we changed out the engine.
    Two differences in the 500,It's a lot harder to kick and feels like it has 20hp more.
  16. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Anybody know where I can get the rubber radiator mounts(isolators)?
  17. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Nice Husky, troublemaker!.
    I have an stock 87 430 WR that I'm working on, so I'm following your post with interest.
    I'd like to raise my handle bars and add Ohlin forks. I assume the Ohlins fit the stock triple clamp?
    Would you happen to know the Ohlin model #?
    I could use rubber isolator bolts that run between the plastic rad shroud and the radiators. I think there's 2 bolts on each side.
    Thanks.
    Dave
  18. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks Dave,I used a 96-01 Honda CR500 complete front end,just got bearings and races to make it work.
    The Ohlins are called their UNIVERSAL.They were meant as a direct replacement for Honda CRF250-450
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140417444058?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
    I did not buy mine from this seller,just an example for you.
    Just found these mounts.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370614082051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/370614078387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
  19. troublemaker Husqvarna
    A Class

Next is a decompression valve for the head,I usually kick mine sitting on the bike because I could never get used to kicking it off the bike with my right leg.The 430 was no problem but the 500 is alot harder and I woke up with a real sore back.I have a guy in IL that does them for me for $125+7 shipping and they look factory.Here is a picture of one he did on my Honda that was stolen.sorry I don't have any closer pictures,the primates stole it before I got to take a better one..

[IMG]
  20. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Thanks troublemaker!
    This is helpful. I'll have to scrounge a Honda front end. Those rad mounts are nice. I also have a 87 430 Auto that could use some new mounts too.
    troublemaker likes this.