1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1981 430XC Street Legal Motard Conversion Project - Schimmelaw

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by schimmelaw, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

:thumbsup:
  2. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

With all the posting going on in the vintage resto section, thought I would post up what I've been fooling w/ this wkend. (Per Mrs. Schimmelaw "....after you get your house chores done....") Of course.

Photo 1: Final tweaking of the last bend on the stinger. Torch, bend and reinstall. Torch, bend and reinstall. Torch, bend and reinstall. Yada. Yada. Yada. Its done. Previous owner found the sleeve for the silencer/stinger junction and donated it to the cause. Thanks, LHill.

After 15 months of disappearance, shocks out of the storage bins. On the workbench for the last couple of weeks for a home grown rebuild (seals, bands, bushings, oil, nitro, upper heims, lower bushings, bump stop, some paint and stickers). Preliminary mounting - some final assembly parts going out to plating this week.

Photos 2 thru 5: Walk around veiw.

Attached Files:

3. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    THAT IS NICE :thumbsup:
  4. HuskyT Moderator

It is the little details.. nice Maltese Crosses!

T
  5. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

letitsnow,
    Thanks man.

HT,
    Got em' at the local bike shop. Nice selection of fun valve stem caps.

Shock and sideplate mounting hardware back from plating and ano. Got something to do this weekend.

Photo 1: Upper shock mount. Stock nickle plated shock bushings and fender washer. Rubber o-rings from Phillip. A buddy cut me some longer sideplate aluminum bushings which got anod. Aluminum conical washer w/ ssteel flat head allen. Times 2.

Photo 2: Buddy cut me a longer side number plate mount which got anod. (Gone is the short rubber one - hopeuflly no more resevoir/number plate rubbing.) Another nickled fender washer, aluminum conical washer and ssteel flat head allen. Times 2.

Photo 3: Lower shock mount. Two new ssteel bushing from Phillip. Nickled outside retainer. Ssteel washer and allen. Times 2.

Photo 4: Exhaust side. Another buddy donated the thinner Euro hose clamps for the silencer/pipe junction.

Attached Files:

6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Like that little Swedish flag on the swingarm crossmember.
    No... I LOVE that little Swedish flag!
  7. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

frame finish?

Looks awesome Schimm. Forgive me for not going back and finding this info on my own. What is the finish on your frame-powder or paint? I have some fab work to do and then get frame finished. Thanks Scott
  8. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Pick,
    Sticky is Hwy's.

Scott,
    Powder. Never used that finishing technique on any prior projects. First time for me. Always used paint. I'm a convert - makes paint (IMO) obsolete for this application (frame, swingarm, hubs, springs, triples, etc.). Thick and durable.
    Rick
  9. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC

Pick,
    Email or Pm your address again and I'll sent you a Swedish flag sticker.
    Art
  10. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Spring has sprung. Well almost anyways.

Photo 1, 2 & 3: Springs, upper and lower retainer clips got black powdered over a year ago - nice to have them out of a storage bin and installed. New plastic spring seporators from Phillip. Stockers were tore and plum wore out. Splurged and got a couple of shock body spring wear sleeves (again from Phillip). Put all the upper hardware on the shock BEFORE the sleeves are installed or the upper parts won't go on. Ask me how I know.

Photos 4 and 5: Found some C clips to replace the metal bands that hold/back-up the top retainer ring. Fit right in the shock body recesses and much easier to work w/. They got nickled also.

Done.

Attached Files:

11. oneal Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 wr 250 returned home.
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 TE 450 2005 TE 450 1999 CR 125
    This thread is great, i like the way you have taken the time to everything right. Its going to be great to see her when she's all complete. Any vids??
  12. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

oneal,
    Thanks man. No videos comming. Just posting up photos of what I might be working on.
  13. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

when are you bringing it up to Michigan, for demo rides:thumbsup::cheers::D
  14. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Getting closer. A few other projects left to do but at least its skinned.
    I'm running out of parts.

Attached Files:

15. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

looks good

Looking great Schimm. I like the seat foam shape. Have to get a ride report on the seat, well the whole thing of course. Scott
  16. Goosedog Husqvarna
    B Class

Just read this whole thread, well pictures mostly. Most meticulous build I've ever seen. Attention to detail and workmanship is awesome, truely a one-off machine.
    Glad you posted it on supermotojunkie cuz I never would have looked here.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup::notworthy::applause:
  17. HEMITKN Husqvarna
    B Class

Rick, bike is looking incredible. Whats left taillights, little stuff?:notworthy::applause:

Mikey:thumbsup:
  18. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks boys.

Stator issues and got to button a few things up.
  19. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

I cant wait to get my 430 to Schim, quality!

Great build, it`s giving me lot`s of great ideas. :thumbsup: :cheers:
  20. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    It's looking really sweet..... :thumbsup:

Stu