1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1981 430XC Street Legal Motard Conversion Project - Schimmelaw

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by schimmelaw, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    If you tell it how it is then I can't see the problem in naming the company. If the events happened as you described then other members are fore warned and they have to make up their own minds whether to purchase from that supplier or not. We have to make sure that it doesn't get personal and stays factual.

I don't know if this was only to do with the exhaust or there were other instances that you encountered with these guys but I for one would appreciate knowing there has been a problem with a certain source. I can't afford to waste my money.

So how about a 'Naughty List' :)
  2. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Now that the frustration/disapointment level has subsided somewhat - dang the set back - full speed ahead.
    Photo 1: By racking the pipe to the right - got the needed clearance at the front down tube BUT ended up w/ the pipe mounting bracket contacting head fin.
    Photo 2: Solution. Ground out three of the fins for clearance of the pipe mounting bracket, the mounting bracket assembly off the down tube and misc mounting hardware. Took out more material than what was necesary b/c I wasn't going to take any chances.
    Photo 3: From the left side looking in.
    Photo 4: Front right looking back.
    Photo 5: Right side looking in.
    At least a fat 1/8" clearance between the mounting assembly, hardware and cylinder fins. 3/16" to 1/4" clearance at the downtube. I can live with all that.

Got the front of the pipe to mount up by "racking" to the right but that has now created issues at the stinger end - dealing w/ that next.

Attached Files:

3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

No tank/pipe issues. Sufficient clearance everywhere.

For you Matt. I wasn't being a dic- above - I just didn't have any photos.
    Rick

Attached Files:

4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I think I'd go with 19 inchers for a more "Super Bikers" era look.:cheers:
  5. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    All I can say is WOW. Thanks looks fabulous. Great work.
    I still get a kick out of the Woodshop 101 rear suspension.
    tomthumb likes this.
  6. HuskyT Moderator

We could call it the "Twilight" Husky as it has built in Vampire stakes???

Very nice Rick!

T
  7. HEMITKN Husqvarna
    B Class

Rick, your gonna cause some accidents cruising around town on that bike for sure. I know I'd break my neck to get a second look as you came wheeling by. :notworthy:

Mike:thumbsup:
  8. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I guess that RZ in the backround is going to get benched once that Hoosk is ready to go. sweet ride, nice attention to detail, good luck with it.
  9. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey boys,
    Thanks
    RZ in the backgroud - wondering if anyone would notice or even know what it is. 84' 2 stroke h20 cooled single shocked dics braked street scoot that is good for nothing but tickets. 12,000 rpm comes real real quick - scary fast. At the time - the epitome of cool!!!
    Rick
  10. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I have a road racing buddy that had a Canada only 1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma 4 cyl 500cc 2 stroke Grand Prix racer on the road. I had it @ my Moms house for the summer of 1996 . no one around here even knew what it was.they all thought it was GSXR. I cant tell you how many guys on CBR900's and GSXR1100's I had foaming @ the mouth when I smoked 'em on this "little 500". LOL
  11. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is why i am taking my bike to Eric cook at Maicos only so it is done right the first time.

And if it isnt, he will fix it till you are totally satisfied.

Santa has a naughty list why cant we?
  12. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

wrx,
    It hauls as- too! I really have no business owning that thing. It scares the bejeepers out of me every time I ride the darn thing. Heart beats per minute always go way up!!!

hidez,
    Count your blessing you have acess to those that can/will/do manufacture pipes and other one off parts for our vintage bikes locally. Nothing remotely resembling that here. Not really the hot bed of vintage scoot activity. Growing but not established.
  13. Panerai Husqvarna
    B Class

What a awesome build Schimm! Really enjoy this thread.

I read through it all and may have missed it but can you tell me where you sourced the fenders? The front one especially.

Thanks

Mike
  14. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mike,
    Thanks man. Had fun.
    Front fender is UFO sm fender - option 2. Your local parts guy can get. About $20.00 I think.
    Rear fender is a moded (I hacked away till it fit) UFO 96' YZ250 fender. The fender build is here in the vintage section. Search is ...... before after rear fender
    Rick
  15. Panerai Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks Rick.........
  16. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I looked at your pictures of the pipe fitment. My assessment while just from a minute or two of looking at pictures is that holding the pipe close to the head gives more space between the tank and pipe and might allow a larger diameter pipe. I recall stuffing parts of socks under the rubber under the tank to keep space. The hanger is attached with bronze rod of some sort so it could have been heated up and knocked off and re configured some other way but your solution seems fine. Now about those two near right angle bends pretty tight before the silencer, that shouldn't be necessary and would bother me more than the hanger issue if it was my project.

Fran
  17. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Fran,
    Believe me when I tell you this whole component has been a bother. Definitely not "plug and play".

Plenty of room under the tank where the pipe crosses over the top of the head and goes back. Looks to me as though the first verticle cone section of the pipe could have been 3/8" to 1/2" longer and I wouldn't have had contact w/ the fins and still would have had room under the tank for clearance.

As you say, the second bend of the pipe at the stinger was also a problem to begin w/ - the bend was too short. (Hell, the stinger itself was 7/8" short. Silencer only caught an 1/8" of the stinger. Had to weld and trim a 1" piece of pipe on to the end of the pipe for correct silencer mounting) Having to "rack" the pipe to the right to get extra clearance at the front down tube only exacerbated the problem. Stinger angle had the silencer pointing about an inch away from the frame mount and good half inch high. By torching the last bend (about where my thumb is) - was able to bring the stinger in and down.

Mock up (and hopefully final mounting) tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    Rick
  18. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Photos of above probs

Attached Files:

19. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Schimm. I cant believe someone isn't trying to "extract" that pipe from a sensitive orfice by now. Were do you purchase patience like that? Scott :thumbsup:
  20. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Scott,
    Rest assured - if I lived 1500 miles west of here the guy would be farting thru a silencer.