1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1981 430XC Street Legal Motard Conversion Project - Schimmelaw

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by schimmelaw, Nov 3, 2009.

1. calkid072 Husqvarna
    B Class

Question, I need help to figure out the wiring for my coil, I'm runnin a wr430 and I rewired color for color but I believe I've screwed up cause there ain't no spark now. A diagram would be great.....HELP....Thanks for your time
  2. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    Hey Rick -
    is it done yet?.....is it done yet? Inquiring minds wanna know...

Sweet looking Supermotard - sure to turn heads.
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

calkid,
    I'm not the one to be asking electronics questions to - electricaly inept myself. I'm currently facing the same issue. No spark.

Hwy,
    Thanks.
    Not yet but getting close. Been really busy last couple of wks and haven't got much moto done. Couple of odds/ends here and there but nothing significant. Final parts order has been made and just waiting now.
  4. HuskyT Moderator

This would be a great question for a brand new post! I recommend that you repost the same question in the vintage leftkickers forum.

T
  5. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just piddling around w/ a summer project - moto wheel build.

Photos 1 thru 3: 18" Nordisk w/ some really scary looking rusty/corroded nipples. Was expecting the worst to get them out (figured I'd be cutting some spokes and making a parts request here on the Cafe). Bolt loosener was applied on each nipple a couple times in the last week and allowed to just sit. (Actually, got busy w/ some other springtime "Honey Dos" and just forgot about them) Impact driver on the back side of the nipples which had the slot and all came loose. Those nipples which had corroded over the slot or the spokes were sticking through in the back broke loose w/ the spoke wrench. All came loose and now somewhat ready for disassembly. All in all -- very lucky. Thanks again, LHill for the wheel.

Photo 4: Implements of destruction.

Photo 5: 21" Excel, Yamaha hub, spokes and nipples.

Attached Files:

6. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Been a while for any moto wrenching. Hurt/strained lower back. Gimpimg around for work, home at night w/ a couple of Flexaril and a heating pad for the last three weeks. It sux hurting so bad you can't do anything but complain. Anyways, back has finally eased up a bit and was able to get out in the shop and and fart around a bit this weekend.
    Photo 1 and 2: Can you say "Ruffles has ridges". Tangs on clutch basket battered and beat all to hell. Return spring all mangled up.
    Photo 3 and 4: What I ended up with after cleaning and switching around to a spare clutch basket from an 83' 500. (Got the clutch pack w/ the bike at purchase.) Some light wear on it but, nothing as severe as the stocker. Shot of a new spring mounted up.
    5: Buttoned up.

Attached Files:

7. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking good schim. !

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

You have to be chomping at the bit now being so close to completion.:cheers:
  8. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
    I love the bike. Like others have said, the attention to detail on the whole project is awesome. Very well done!:thumbsup:
  9. '87 500XC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 500XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Holy CRAP excelent work. :applause:

I do have a few questions for you that you might be able to answer. I have a 1987 500XC. Tuned by uptite racing back in the day when my dad raced moto-X. They put a top end pipe on it, changed the port timing, bored it, stroked it, but a big Mikuni carb on it either 48mm or 52mm I foget. The list goes on and on. The bike is in minty fresh shape, my dad takes meticulous care of his stuff. I know alot of people say that but it literaly looks like it just rolled out of the show room. I wish I could post a pic of it but I can't as I'm new.

Anyways, I want to race supermoto with it. He put the updated inverted forks on it that look identical to the ones you have currently. My main question is what rims can I use? And how can I mount a big front disc onto the rim? I'm guessing I'd have to make a caliper carrier off of the stock caliper carrier to make it work. Do I use the stock hubs and just lace them onto a 36 spoke wheel? And what the hell do I do with the back rim, you can't put a disc on it so how do you get a rims to fit that? It's the only thing holding me back from diving into the project as I do not know where to start. I have no idea what rims out there will even bolt up to the bike as it's so old and rare as hell. I saw you mention that you have excels a few pages back, but will those work for me as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

And once again excelent work! One of if not the cleanest resto project I've ever seen on a husky and unique as well:thumbsup:
  10. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

highdez,
    Thanks. Back much better right now. Still a little apprehensive about sitting, crouching or bending over for any length of time. Prior h20 skiing incident still rearing its ugly head thirty years later.
    Couple more wkends and I might be putting in gas in it. Stator/spark/timing issues. Time will tell.
    Oh yea, love the compression release work youv'e done w/ the 430 head. Nice plannig and implementation. Looking forward to a write up.

J.R.,
    Thanks - been a year and half of fun.

'87 500,
    Thanks too.
    The rear wheel set up wasn't that big of a deal. Stock hub, recycled spokes/nipples from the 17" original wheel and a Excell 17" 36 hole motard rim. Bitch of a relace (big hub - small rim) but doable. Search is "rear wheel" in the vintage section.

The front wheel/rim/brake build is where the real work is. Alot of "head scratching" here. You will have to find a front end/hub combo that will support the rotor. In my case a 98' YZ USD Kayaba fork and hub set up is what I ended up w/. Search is "usd" in the vintage section.
    Hope this helps.
    Rick

Attached Files:

11. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
    I dont mean to threadjack, But to "87 500xc",

The front end, would require a caliper relocation bracket to move it outward. Depending on the hole pattern you could find a 320mm rotor from another bike that has the same pattern. Or find one with a similar pattern (6, 4, or whatever your 500 has) to drill a set of offset of holes if ya cant find an exactly fitting rotor.

Hope that helps. :thumbup: If ya have another questions I can answer them in a PM or you can start a thread for supermoto wheels in the vintage section.

Threadjack over. SORRY Schimmelaw!! :o
  12. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Schim, you need to take a vacation in Palm Springs and i will have one of my massage therapist come over and work on you and we can bench race around the pool bar afterward.Racers machine did a beautiful job on the head.
    Just hope it`s not too much compression.

If it is then i go to plan B combustion chamber configuration.:cheers:
  13. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    Hi Rick,

Any update you can share? Really looking forward to what you have done.

Stu
  14. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

2nd kick or third? :cheers:
  15. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

(I cheated and used a shot of starting fluid. I think it had been several years since bike had been started)

3rd kick - "pop".

4th kick running.

Moving forward again.
  16. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kool!:thumbsup:
  17. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

What it is......

Attached Files:

Motosportz and 86 400 XC like this.
  18. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

.....What it was.

Attached Files:

19. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Awesone job "Your Honor"!:cheers: Well how's it run? Looks great and I hope it meets all of your expectations, Scott
  20. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, Scott. Contract signed on Thursday. Swearing in on Tuesday if Mupphy's Law doesn't bite me in the as@.

Don't know about it how it runs just yet. Hopefully tomorrow - a limited shakedown.