1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1981 430XC Street Legal Motard Conversion Project - Schimmelaw

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by schimmelaw, Nov 3, 2009.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

With the blessing of CH management (thanks HT), I have been given the opportunity to post up my rebuild/restoration/conversion of an 81' 430XC. Somebody must like me.

Over the last year I have removed, researched, repaired, rebuilt, replaced, replated and refinished components for this bike. Alot of "R"s there. About 80% of the hard parts are done (frame, front suspension, wheels, controls, front & rear brakes, running gear, plastics). These individual part restos are currently scattered troughout the "vintage/leftkickers" section of CH. Its now time to REINSTALL those parts/components which have been completed. Out of the storge bins (plural) and back on the frame. Components not yet worked on will be added to CH as completed.

It may/will still be a while before the bike is running, legal and on the street (I still have alot left to sort out) but the conversion is slowly progressing. Pictures and a little blurb will accompany future posts under this sticky.

Hope you boys have and will enjoy this conversion as much as I have and hope to.

Rick
  2. HuskyT Moderator

I'm looking forward to your project Rick.... I'm confident that this thread will be well reviewed over the weeks and months ahead!

It will be cool to start seeing some of the larger wide screen shots!

T
  3. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 CR500, 85 CR500, 89 TE 610
    It's always great to see finished projects but..... most of the interesting stuff happens along the way...

I for one will be watching (mainly to see if I can pinch ideas/resolutions to problems... :) ) but seriously... can't wait to see the latest pics.

Stu
    CR60 likes this.
  4. mattskn Husqvarna
    A Class

Ive been waiting for a update, lets have it...
  5. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Frame & Swingarm

As stated above I have been working on parts/components for awhile now. Most, but not all, of them are done and ready for reassembly back on the frame. Frame has been sittting on the shop floor for months now waiting for component completion. I wanted to get the misc components mocked up and mounted on the bare frame before it went out for refinishing. Better to f up the rat frame versus messing up a powdered one. Believe me when I tell you I have been "jonesing" to get it powdered so that I could start the reassembly process. Dropped off the frame/swingarm at the powder coater's shop on a Sunday and picked it up the following Friday. Quick turnaround considering we had 3 days of bad weather and he does the sandblasting outside. Anyways, got it back, sooooooooooooo here goes.

Photo 1, 2 and 3: Post powder. I'm stoked. Came out better than I anticipated. A few parts got dug out of the storage bins and have already been bolted up (pegs assemblies, rubber backbone/tank spacer, rubber fork stops, side number plate rubber, rubber pipe mount and tank mount hardware). Races top and bottom have been installed.

Edited: Oh yea I forgot to mention pre powder frame mods - no lower bash/crash bar. Cut it out and ground it down to have flat bottom (homemade skid plate and flat top bike stand). No rear shock remote resevoir mount, cut it off too. Enlarged front tank mount holes to insert a rubber bush (got a rubber mounted tank now). Small tab welded ("dobbed" really) on frame for a "brake snake". Welded up and filed down the chain tensioner tube (where the bushing sits) due to the spring wearing three grooves almost all the way through the metal.

Photos 4 and 5: Powdered swingarm. The following new parts have been installed - aluminum bushing w/ o-rings in the chain tensioner mount (found it in some olddddddd spare parts up in the attic - no charge), chain wear pad from Phillip w/ ssteel mounting hardware, anodized aluminum collars. Swingarm bearings/bushing this weekend I hope.

Engine reinstall is next - post it's cosmetic completion/restoration.

Attached Files:

6. HuskyT Moderator

Rick Powder looks great! Your guy did a good job! I was unhappy with my first attempt and just got mine back from a second sandblast and powder last week! I'm letting it cure out for a little while before starting the reassembly. Be carefull as that powder is still soft for a while... good use of the USPS boxes!!!

Foot pegs look great! Great contrast with the frame!:thumbsup:

Welding the tensioner tube looks good... can't even tell you had three spring grooves!:thumbsup:

Question: Where did you find the black steering tube stops? I'm looking for some. Phillips site only shows white.

T
  7. husky-parts.com Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks great chain wear pad is mounted upside down
  8. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I must say... it's looking rather nice. Nice level of detail too.

Not sure mine will be too your high standard.

Stu
  9. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Phill,
    Opps. Thanks. Any chance of getting a chain pad cut w/ a tongue on the top as well as the bottom? I always thought that the original designers kinda of dropped the ball in that specific area. That would be cool part and offer some/alot of extra swingarm protection.

HT,
    The rubber fork stops, though not correct for this year model, I think?, came on the scoot when I got it. Just cleaned them up a bit and a little "Back to Black". Reuseable.

Stu,
    I got more time than $. That how come all the small stuff is getting detailed out. Gives me something to do.

Rick
  10. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

To do that you'd have to weld add'l tabs to extend it further down the swing arm otherwise the motion of the chain will pick it up & rip it
  11. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

LCLK,
    Of course my dear Watson... why didn't I see that. What was I thinking? I'm an idiot - never mind. Wellllllll, how about just and inch longer - NO - NEVER MIND! and I'll drill a hole, countersink it and rivet the tongue down so it won't move - NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! - NEVER MIND!! - I'm an idiot. Welllllll, maybbbbbbbbbbbbe just a batch of three or four? Hell, I can make anything fit.

MOTOR

A couple of teasers. Still needs a weekend of work before reinstallation back in the frame.

Attached Files:

12. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You are a tease..... I like the Gold Allen Bolts... nice touch.

Stu
  13. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Motor again. Stabbed. Bolted up. Stuffed. Installed. Mounted up. Almost a year to the day I brought the bike home and started the redo - i'm reinstalling hard parts as of today. Starting w/ three completed components - swingarm assembly, the frame and the motor - I'm kinda back to putting parts back on the frame. Motor has work yet to be done but at least its back in the frame. What I have left to do can be done w/ the motor mounted up.

New top end. Motor painted wi PJ1 case paint in satin black. (What a pain in the a - should have left stock alone.) Misc ssteel allens throughout. Anodized allens are left overs from a previous project. Gasket set, counter shaft cover/sticker and oil cap from Phillip. Moose shifter. Anodized motor mounts and kick starter. Home grown bead blasted cylinder and head. Home grown clutch cover stripping. Nickled exhaust manifold, counter-shaft sprocket, drain plug, clutch arm and kickstart knuckle. Not seen but there - nickled cylinder studs and nuts.

Attached Files:

14. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Motor, frame and swingarm this time.

Attached Files:

15. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Triples mounted up.

Attached Files:

16. Husky37 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    So nice...

Your attention to detail..... I am :notworthy:

I'm not sure I have your patience.... my leg is already twitching and I haven't had the frame powder coated yet!

Stu
  17. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Rear brake pedal mounted up.

Bushed pedal/rod connection (prior post). Drilled lever and rod (prior post). Folding brake pedal tip w/ pedal extension (prior post). Brake snake. Some anodizing, nickle plating, ssteel hardware and black powder. Done.

Attached Files:

18. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tim - there are some on fleabay (Ebay link) at the moment. $10 each NOS. Not cheap, but maybe what you're after?

Cheers
    Lucien
  19. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm liking that rear brake light switch set-up. Very neat and nicely tucked away.

Cheers
    Lucien
  20. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Air box assembly mounted up (resto is a prior thread).

Photo 1 and 2: All I can say is what an improvement over original condition. Plastic filter box was cleaned (see prior thread) and has been "Back to Black"ed. New cover from Phillip.

Photo 3: Birds eye view of mounting hardware. New rubber from Phillip. Some cool blue anod attachmet hardware. Note the "plasti dip"ed black attachment staps (no slop = no worn frame paint or loosey goosey cover).

Photo 4: Innards. Twin Air. Black powdered metal filter framing and cage. Ssteel attachment nuts.

Photo 5: View from the rear. Note rubber bumpers at the top corners of the filter box. Even with the new rubber mounts from Phillip, the box still bounced around about a 1/4" from side to side and up and down w/in the frame rails. Wedged a couple of stick on rubber "bumpers" between the frame rails and the box and everything is solid. No slop. No bouncing around. No frame wear/rubbing. Its rubber mounted.

Update on the bumpers. Home Depot. "Surface Guard" is the product name. They are 1/2" clear vinyl bumpers. 16 to a pack at $2.97. Part number is 9967HS. Hope this helps.

Attached Files: