1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Worldwide Speedo Failure Register

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by icebergstu, May 21, 2012.

1. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Donno why, but the permanently flashing neutral light is so annoying.
  2. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Just a guy at work clowning around. :)
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I don't understand why there's a headlight lamp that is always on. Kind of a waste of space, IMO.
    J-train likes this.
  4. Tony Gonzalez Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki klr
  5. Tony Gonzalez Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki klr
  6. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    Mine works like it should as far as I've noticed but one day while riding the rubber covering the button went missing. Does anyone have a broken one they want to get rid of so I can rob the top cover off of it? I'd like to prevent any moisture from getting in there and messing it up. Thanks!

Tony
  7. Roadhazardguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM450r
    Other Motorcycles:
    89 ATK 406, 88 KDX 200
    This may be a dumb question but do yall think it would be possible to get one of these units to work on a non computered bike and get everything to work like it should? What does the tach get it's signal from?
  8. Magnum Shooter Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 smr510
    The speedo crapped out on my 08 smr at 2400 miles after a hour and a half ride home in the rain one day. I just replaced it with a trail tech vapor.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

My TE449 was doing the same thing from new.
    It sounded normal when cranking, but the battery was weak.
    When it stalled on the compression stroke, the voltage was too low to crank it over on the first try & the voltage was dropping low enough to drop out the trip meter & clock settings.
    The original lead-acid battery was a 130cca, I replaced it with a smaller, lighter Lithium Ion battery with 220cca.
    I have got a full ride in without loosing the trip & clock data for the first time since owning the bike!!
    It also cranks over much quicker when starting as well.
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

I went to the trouble of opening mine up ages ago, but didn't pursue it. It appears that they were originally designed to have a battery back-up fitted. (See Pics)

As I have said elsewhere, I fixed mine when I fitted a lithium main battery to the bike, the crank voltage now stays high enough to prevent speedo drop-outs.

IMG_20130919_151522_838[1].jpg

IMG_20130919_151549_625[1].jpg
  11. bud7041 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250
    So had fail come up on Speedo after trail ride where there was 6 water crossings. Still there the next morning. Stoped bike turned key off so engine stoped. Great FAIL GONE but started to move Speedo was reading 299kmph Shit then all of a sudden back to correct speed. So the next water crossing and all water crossings in future slow slow. Why o why would you make a part so sensitive to water.
  12. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I'd be checking on your wiring & plugs for sealing.
    My whole bike has been under water, only the RH grip poking out.
    My speedo still works fine.
  13. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sooooo .... we didn´t buy Italian bikes for their world class electrics anyway!
    J-train and Dangermouse449 like this.
  14. bud7041 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te250
    It still works ok but thanks for the advice Dangermouse449 will check them out.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  15. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    I bought mine because most of the important electronic stuff is Japanese :-)
  16. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I hope mine isn't starting to crap out. After I washed the bike last weekend I noticed the speedo disply was on without the key turned on. I was able to push the kill switch in to kill the pwer. After a hour or so it no longer stayed on. I am concerned but so far it still works good. 60+ hours and 1500 miles so far.
  17. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

I'm with you there. I gotta admit, though, I've never really looked into it to try to remedy that one.

What I do- on my 630 (if it's likely to rain/shower...won't help otherwise)- is to take a generous sheet of cling-wrap, lay that over the speedo and then "roll" a rubber band around the edge until it "snaps" underneath the unit. That method usually leaves a very tight/clear film over it, protecting ingress from the screen, button and where the halves meet. As mentioned it's not gonna do much if I drop the bike in a stream, or a gush from underneath. I started w/ the cling-wrap after mine fogged up a bit after a storm, and after reading jtemple going through the hassles with his.
  18. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Anyone got any tips on making the TE speedometer display the SMR speed. For 17" wheels. It says in the service manual a new dash can only select either mode the very first startup and that's it....

Anyway to erase it and start fresh so I can activate the smr 17" wheel speed? ?
  19. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Not happening. You get one chance to choose the wheel size when you install a new speedometer; that's it. There's no switching back & forth. If you want accurate gauges, you have to have two different speedos and swap them when you swap wheels.

Dealer confirmed; we both learned the hard way together when I had my gauge replaced under warranty.
  20. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125

I would imagine there would be a pulse modifier you could use for changing the signal to the dash.
    I'd have a search around the net for that, not so much just Husky, but in general, as a lot of the bikes use the magnet in disc idea.
    Someone will make something, it will be just a matter of modifying a % of the speedo pulse for the difference in wheel size.....