Windshield?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by skywalker951, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Like you - I also received the Madstad screen - a 20" clear one on my case - with the screw holes in the wrong place. They promptly sent out a new one so kudos to Madstad for great customer service. I am 6' tall, and find the 20" in screen to be the perfect size for me. No buffeting at any speed, and I find that loosening the 2 adjustment screws and pushing the top of the screen fully forward, gets it completely out of my way for trail riding. Overall - very impressed with the quality and ease of installation.
    PaulC likes this.
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I thought it was the madstad that could be turned upside down fairly easily for trail riding?
  3. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    It CAN be turned upside down, by unscrewing the 4 thumbscrews,flipping it over and tightening again. I just haven't found it necessary yet for the limited off-road I've done so far - a few hours fun in the dirt before slabbing it home again.
    PaulC likes this.
  4. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

12 months ago someone was told the OEM screens were no longer available and found that this KTM screen was a good replacement.
    Looks like the OP still reads this forum so he might be able to give a long term review.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/new-windscreen.36271/
  5. jbaroja Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SUZUKI DR-Z 400S
    Here you are photos of www.screensforbikes.com screen for HUSQVARNA TR 650 TERRA/STRADA. Very happy with wind protection with this screen.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

6. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
  7. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    That is a very nice looking screen. It almost makes me wish I'd ordered this instead of the Madstad. It's a lot cleaner looking that's for sure.

Do you get any buffeting off this screen? How much was it? The site just asks you to make an inquiry to get a price.

It seems like the Aussies are doing more with this bike than many others.
  8. Lomax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots of them
    I ordered up a dark smoked one a week ago and am looking forward to its arrival.

That looks good on the bike.

Marc
  9. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Ya.. Tell us how it is. My factory acc. screen is very good but there is always room for improvement.
    Moff69 likes this.
  10. jbaroja Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SUZUKI DR-Z 400S
    I think that relation between esthetic and protection in this screen is very good, better for sure than stock windshield, that under my point of view is too short (I've not checked it becase it was my first option but it was not available in Spain)

Of course we can find more protective screens, but they are more antiesthetic. This is the best screen i've found respecting the most posible original motorbike appearance. It's basically a windshield to avoid chest buffeting, an improved version of stock windshield.

About buffeting, of course it depends on your position on motorbike. I'm 1,82 and best position to avoid buffeting even in neck and avoid turbulences in helmet, is bend my body a little and incline my head towards to the top of windshield. It's not an exaggerated position that make feel us umcomfortable in any moment (sorry about my English if i commit any mistake)

About price, at the end of august, it costed to me 102 euro including express shipping to Spain from Australia. I ordered and paid it by Paypal, and receive it in 6 labour days. It's also available in light tint, dark tint, red tint, solid white plastic, and other colours..
    FER QUILES and Nordland like this.
  11. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I just received my replacement MadStad screen today. I'll get it mounted up Friday. Hopefully I'll be happy with it. But.... I might look into making a sort of quick disconnect for the entire mounting setup and run a smaller screen some of the time, especially in the summer or for extended trail rides. That was my interest in the OEM tall screen.

Marc, maybe if you like the new one well enough I'll buy your OEM tall screen. ;)
  12. Lomax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots of them
    I just received the windshield yesterday and got to install it this morning. I have not ridden it yet but hey, at least it looks good. :rolleyes:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Compared to stock windshield:

[IMG]

It is very nicely made with heavy duty material and has rubber grommets on the mounting holes. This will space it up just a little.

If I ever get to ride again I will report on the air flow.

Marc
    Nordland, PaulC and Moff69 like this.
  13. rride Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650, someday
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F650 Strada, Kawasaki Versys 650
    I just wanted to offer another windshield alternative, and the best there is imo. A Give Air Flow AF49 Universal dual part shield that compresses air over your head so you don't hear your face shield batter against your helmet and wind: you can hear your engine, although ear plugs still advised for longer trips. Here is where I got one for my Honda Nighthawk 750, and plan to put it on my BMW F650 Strada or my new Husky TR650, either/or (any bike I own until I die). After 40 years, the face shield bang and wind noise kind of take the enjoyment of motorcycling out of the picture. Once you drive with it, you won't want anything else: period. They have specific models for bikes stock fairings, but I like the universal one for the best coverage ($276 at Revzilla, no shipping, no tax (if you are not in their state), and a $10 coupon I still have.

[IMG]

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...40768&sdc_id=1407101709z205970z39073b0a11254z
  14. John_Belgium Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800FI (still have)
    Wow this screenforbikes windscreen is really good looking, even better design then the original. I have the original and I am satisfied with the wind that it takes away till 140 km/h. but I can imagine this is even better, especially for touring / traveling purposes. The website does not give any prize info, earlier in this thread I see the prize was 120 $ compared to the $ 185 for the original (Australian dollars I guess). So it is even cheaper than the original as well. .

Regards, John
  15. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    It is a nice looking screen!

Here's a shot of my Madstad after installing it. I drilled the holes in this one and this is in the lowest position. This is the 16" tall version

[IMG]

The one thing I didn't count on is the reflection of the headlight in the screen at night. I've never encountered that before. It's pretty annoying and I need to do something about it. In the highest position it's tolerable but still noticeable.

Overall I'm happy with it as I like the range of adjustment and have found a good position (max up and tilted back a bit) that works well on the freeway providing a fairly calm airflow. For off-road riding I prefer it in the lowest position.
  16. Lomax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots of them
    I finally got to ride the bike to work today so a short report on the Screens For Bikes windscreen.

I am 5'10" and the airflow is now right at my shoulders. The helmet is in clean air and there is no buffeting.

Arms and shoulders still get good clean air but the air is off the torso.

I really like this one over stock and it is not so big. BTW: absolutely no headlight reflection off the screen or coming up through to the top.

Marc
    Moff69 likes this.
  17. jbaroja Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 TERRA ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    SUZUKI DR-Z 400S
    I'm absolutely agree with you, Lomax

The curved design of this windshield makes air don't impact strongly with helmet. Of course that shoulders and arms are not protected, because it's designed to protect only the torso, and make its job perfectly. For me, the more balanced screen for this bike, equal or better esthethic than OEM windshield with better protection.

About headlamp light reflection, for me it's not annoying to see the light reflected around the silhouette of the screen. It's only visible from driver position, not at the front of the motorbike.
  18. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    I have had the headlight reflection in windscreens before. Try taking some black electricians tape and running it along the edge around the headlight and bottom of the screen. If it stops the reflection (and it did on mine) pop the screen off and paint that edge black and seal coat it with clear.
  19. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    If the reflections from the Madstad were only the edges from the fiber optic affect I wouldn't sweat it too much. But there is a fair amount of direct reflection off the back surface of the lower portion of the screen depending on the position you have it in. The higher the position the less direct reflection.
  20. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    It sounds like a pretty sweet option. I'm kinda tempted to get one to use as my "everyday" setup and keep the Madstad as as touring option. It's not that hard to swap them.