Windshield?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by skywalker951, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Brilliant! I didn't realize I could flip it. Will definitely do that next time around. The first time it smacked in the face it surprised the heck out of me. Thanks for the advice!
  2. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    I really like that shape but what is the buffeting and noise like and where does the airflow break away line hit you, chest, neck helmet..? I tried screens about that height before and found they buffet and are real noisy. Having said all that I would like to see you drawings and try it if you don't mind thanks. Cheers
  3. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    Nice job...ah necessity as the mother of invention.
    If turbulence is a problem over lip try a small length of moulding as per car trim etc..Had that issue on a home made screen for my BMW R1200R
  4. Eric-the-Strada Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 DL1000
    I took a KLR windsheild and trimmed the bottom ears off to match the profile of the TR's headlight. Had to drill new mounting holes, but it looks factory and was just a few bucks.
    LED likes this.
  5. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    What year on the KLR shield? Seems like I've asked that before....haha:)
  6. Eric-the-Strada Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 DL1000
    Step 1) Procure 2008+ KLR stock windshield (~$25).
    [IMG]

Step 2) Remove unnecessary parts with bandsaw. Sand edges smooth. Use upper cowl to mark mounting holes and drill.
    [IMG]

Step 3) Install new Strada windshield.
    [IMG]
    Step 4) :banana:
  7. motozen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda xl250 honda xr400 ktm 640 adv
    DSCF6084.JPG

I did a hand-made template and give the shape to a piece of metacrylate PMMA, put a rear adhesive black adhesive, fix with the same screews and it really works.
    When i use the bike with knobbies and bad roads, i take it of and i use the original one!
    This image, road from Celendin to Balsas, north-eastern Peru. With this 2 guys (they where driving a Toyota Prado) we did a 45 km detour on secondary roads and paths to get to this place, rather than waiting 2 days until the road was reopened
    nev.. likes this.
  8. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    A slightly different approach to the screen, bought about by a desire to acheive zero chest blast and noise...... a lot of trial and error.... with three goals and a target speed of 100kph;
    1. Reduce chest blast over and above no screen
    2. No increased noise over and above no screen
    3. No buffer or vibe over and above no screen

I have achieved;
    1. At 80kph I have very little chest blast and at 100kph it is significantly reduce compared to no screen
    2. Very slight increase in noise above no screen
    3. Very very slight buffer above no screen

The vee cutout in the middle gives my helmet clean air (low noise and buffer) while the higher sides keeps the blast off shoulders and reduces chest blast.

In my trials I tried higher, wider, narrower, with cheat holes, without cheat holes, rounded edges and top, deflection wings on top and nothing worked.

But standing it up closer to the vertical and pushing it forward required less height to be effective, but buffer and noise was not accepteable, so I started to lower the top edge then chest blast starts to increase....everything is a compromise.

20160921_185116.jpg 20160921_185103.jpg 20160921_185040.jpg

Attached Files:

nev.. and Ziggy like this.
  9. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    some more pics

Attached Files:

10. westcoaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra 2013
    Interesting... I'd never have thought to have a vee...
    How is the reflection of the headlight on the inside of the screen?
  11. Newfoundlander Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Is there a windshield for taller riders (6'4") that doesnt buffet the helmet?
  12. talmadge Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    madstad.com
  13. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Being tall (6'-6") I have learned in general there are no screens on any bike that are tall enough to be free of buffeting.
    What does work is a screen just tall enough to take the wind load off the chest, but short enough to keep my helmet in clear/smooth air.
    Muddler and Newfoundlander like this.
  14. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    I am 6'3" and being taller you have less chance of buffet....remember I lowered the screen to make it better, but I tried a screen that was in line with my nose and it was the WORST for buffet.
  15. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    reflection is no big deal, the whole screen gets a slight blue edge to it (kind of cool) from the LED headlight
  16. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Does the Screens for Bikes unit replace the black panel above the headlight or go over the top of it? Just got one in.

As an aside, on my 1190 Adv I learned by chance that changing the bark busters could reduce buffeting more than a screen change.
  17. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    For me, any screen that is near my sight line is awful.
    Best ones tend to be no higher than chest level.

[IMG]
  18. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650

Oh well, seems to fit either way.

Impressions:

It does push the air a bit out sideways and more upwards. There it hits the visor. So there's more shielding but more noise and an added weave at speed. I'm half sold on it. Maybe leave it off for summers. (Height: 5' 9"; helmet Shoei GT Air; BarkBusters Storm on the bars).
  19. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

Interesting design, but I have seen a similarly shaped screen on a GS650Dakar I borrowed in NZ a few years ago which had been customised by it's owner to suit his personal preferences. The only suggestion I would make is to put some rubber moulding around at least the top edges of the screen or something to dull any impact. I went over the handlebars of a bike i owned which had a screen with no edge protection like yours and it cut through my jeans and straight through my knee.
  20. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750

Point taken, but difficult to do and no other screen I've seen has it, however, the edge has been radiused and flamed.