Windshield?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by skywalker951, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Sorry for the delay in providing the follow up report to my original post

Found a break in the weather last week and took the bike for a run with the new screen, just like FreddoFrog - too much buffeting for me. If I stood up a touch my head was in clean air again - so will only need a small change to the screen.

Was in Melbourne the next day so popped in to talk with Peter at Screens For Bikes - he provided the following advice: space out the bottom two screen fixings so the screen is tilted back slightly, if this does not work trim a bit off the top of the screen and test again until you get a height that suits (this screen is 65mm taller than the genuine screen so room to trim). Peter would have trimmed the screen for me but I wanted to try the spacer option first.

Spacers made some difference but not enough, so will be trimming the screen tomorrow and see how we go.

I think a dilemma for all looking for a screen is that we are all different heights, have different riding positions and styles and different expectations for a screen - I give credit to all manufacturers trying to produce a product that fits everyones needs - I think that having to test and adjust is just part of fitting a screen not unlike like a lot of modifications we choose to do to our bikes.
    cc'er, JoeH and FER QUILES like this.
  2. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650

I match your opinions Geeza, I am using OEM windshield installed at limit of the mask, and it is ok, for my 1.89m. To Terra 650 we should have two
    diferent windshields. one for dairy use and another one to travel in long trips adventures. one i like most after seeing all here in café husky is PALMER PRODUCTS, because fixing positions diferents angles, to control buffeting..
    JoeH and nev.. like this.
  3. mongrel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 1290 Superduke R
    I've come to the conclusion that I either ride without a screen at all or get a giant one that comes up above my helmet height. I've tried 3 screens on my bike and they all give me unacceptable buffeting. Will be speaking to Screens For Bikes about a tall screen
  4. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    You are absolutely correct! The airflow is always smoother with no shield or a full barn door.

[IMG]
  5. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I think someone else mentioned spacing out the bottom bolts on the screen. Tilting the Screen back and allowing the air to flow under it as well as over it might solve the problem. My other bike, the Vstrom DL1000 has a long reputation for buffetting the rider. The Madstadd screen adjuster (which pushes the screen out from the bike and allows the rider to choose a huge range of tilt angles. Allowing air under the screen as well as over it removes the buffetting but still allows the rider to sit out of the wind blast.
  6. TheBeer Hunter Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    i used a $45 dremel tool to cut and polish the klr screen. Took about an hour to do the klr mod.
  7. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    " The airflow is always smoother with no shield or a full barn door."
    That is true...until you get behind a Semi, a caravan or a van. Then the vortex shedding makes the buffetting is MUCH worse and a screen smoothes it. Screen buffetting ( as opposed to a constant pressure) is caused by little ( or big) vorticies detaching from the rear of the screen. Anything you do to smooth the flow or reduce the "pressure" difference between the front and rear of the screen will reduce shedding. A standing vortex is NOT a problem as it can help airflow reattach ( Kamm backs on cars for example), but shedding causes bike wobble and body buffetting. Tilting and/or spacing the screen , even a small bit sometimes can reduce or eliminate it. Properly place holes in it can do it as well ( think old style parachutes with the flap in the middle).
  8. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    after about 15 different sizes and shapes along with discovering the quietest and smoothest was no shield at all, this is what I have come up with. I have also discovered a lot of noise entering my helmet around my neck, so I will work on this and see if Arai have a better neck curtain.
    I found mounting on the headlight plate the angle of the screen is to "straight up" and it generates a lot of turbulence and noise. By laying the screen down I have achieved a good compromise between performance and looks...kind of a sports bike look.

Attached Files:

9. Cpan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drz400,Crf230,Ctx200
    I also removed oem screen and found a quieter naked bike. Regarding noise around bottom of helmet, Try a neck sock and tuck it up around the gaps . Worked for me
  10. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Make sure you have some air flow to help CO2 escape from inside your helmet.
  11. Ddub Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Howdy folks. I haven't posted much about my new strada but I gave a lot of thought to what windshield I was going to use. I ended up going with a palmer short (sport?) screen. I didn't have a great idea what it was going to look like but I felt like it would compliment the bike nicely. When I finally got it I decided that I didn't much care for how the screen flairs out at the bottom. Just didn't suit the angles of the bike. So I got out the grinder and took off about an inch on each side. Now she looks and works great! I keep it in it's highest setting and the middle position and she keeps the wind off my helmet very nicely on the interstate. No buffeting. Great screen! I'm 6' tall and 175 for reference. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

Coltx and hasenpfeffer like this.
  12. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    Looks a lot like the shape of the screen on the factory off road racer fairings. With the gap at the bottom should work quite well.
  13. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    I don't think I have posted this pic anywhere here yet.
    This is my wind diverter. It is an extended version ( the bottom part) of the brilliant wind diverter that came on the Cagiva Raptor 650 . I made a mould of the original when I still had the bike because it worked so well, This one is made by building up the bottom of the std shape to improve the bottom flow for my BMW. I made the husky one in 3laters of carbon fibre. I added a spaced screen using a helmet visor as they are non crackable and the stuff is strong and easy to work with.
    NO buffetting, NO noticeable wind noise increase no weaving or headshaking. No pressure on shoulders or helmet ( and I use a visored Arai adv helmet). Also flows most of the water around when it rains.

[IMG]

This is an older pic. The bike now has a Tyga carbon muffler and a custom made single left side pipe as well as a Safari tank set.
  14. Lomax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots of them
    The screen on mine is a bit short and I would love to have something just a bit taller. Can you tell which one this is?

[IMG]

Of everything I have seen here the best mounting solution for me seems to be the Screens for Bikes setup as I already have to much stuff on the bars for a remote mount. If anyone has one they would want to sell I would be most interested. I am just north of Denver Colorado.

I think my second best option would be the Madstad but I am running 2" ROX risers. I have an email off to him to see what the options are.

What a fantastic bike, loving it more every day.

Marc
    PaulC likes this.
  15. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    You have the factory husky accessory windscreen. This is what I have. You might try adding a couple orings/spacers to the back of the top 2 mounting screws. This tilts the screen a little, and made a difference for me.
    Moff69 and Lomax like this.
  16. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I'm in the process of mounting up a Madstad windscreen using their full mount system, not the one mounted on the bars as I have a GPR stabilizer setup which raised the bars 3/4".

I decided to go with a 16" tall screen but the first one they sent had the holes in the wrong place so I'm waiting on a replacement with no holes and I'll drill them.

I did have to muck around with the mounting though, it's far from being a drop in, at least for my bike. I had to machine longer spacers, the original ones were 0.25" and they need to be at least 0.40" tall to clear the lower screw heads. I also had to bend the crap out of the support brackets to get them close to lining up.

I got it mounted up last night and am waiting on the replacement screen to arrive.

Here's a couple pix of the mounting setup.

[IMG]

[IMG]

And what the screen should look like when mounted with bolts instead of my finger.

[IMG]

My biggest "objection" to this setup is the bulk of the mounting system, it's both large and somewhat heavy. I think the main plate and the support brackets are made from steel. Once I'm happy with it I plan to remake them in aluminum sheet metal. I'll leave the adjustment brackets alone as they are made from thinner stock and not so heavy.

I'd like to figure out a quick detach method for the whole thing but it might just come down to removing the 4 primary screws and pulling the top pinch bolts on the triple clamp when I don't want to have it on there for trail riding. I'm kinda interested in the Husky screen like you have for for times I don't want a larger screen. What's your thoughts on that screen for riding primarily off-road?

When I've got it all mounted up and can ride it I'll give further feedback and better pix.
    ozav8r likes this.
  17. Lomax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lots of them
    I did order up a Screens for Bikes windscreen as I did not want anything really tall and bulky to mount. When it arrives is a couple of weeks I will report on how it does.

Marc
  18. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I like my husky windscreen well enough. It does an okay job of keeping the wind off my chest, keeping my helmet in clean air.
    Moff69 and snail_72 like this.
  19. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    I've been waiting for my wind screen since last December. I keep nagging my dealer for it but he keeps claiming they are in back-order.
    nev.. likes this.
  20. Moff69 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR600-Sold, wasn't riding it
    I run the stock screen, with a spacer on the top bolts, love it.