Whassup with GasGas ?

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Miezie666, Feb 18, 2015.

1. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Way off base? they have what maybe 20 dealers? maybe and actually active ones I'm sure less.... Heck Rick at 3 you probably have most of them in the US....

And yes they have switched distributors a few times.... every dealer show I have gone to its a different guy in a booth with a bike and thats it....
  2. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    Not even close to the "same thing as GasGas". Solvent, closely held/run company. MAJORITY of parts made in house. Open the covers on these engines and the machine work is astounding. Why do I need to worry about 20 dealers? The new Yamaha in the mix isn't supported dealer wise any better with several shops around. Can't speak to your dealer show experience, but it's only been Evans (total head shaker :censored: ) Vertrano, now Schmidt; since early 2000s as I'm aware of the brand. Schmidt will make this brand here.

But I feel for GasGas. Back on track. Adam had two excellent 50cc machines. A trials bike and an enduro bike. Hydraulic clutches, hydraulic brakes, real suspension, machined hubs, bullet proof. Still have them in waiting for the grandkids!

I didn't get along with the 2006 EC200 I had, but it was a good machine.

I guess if we were wizards, we'd go show them how to do business.
  3. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    The thing all y'alls are missing is that GasGas, being a Spanish company, has the government up to its armpits in its business. The bankruptcy is, as has been pointed out above, a simple move to relieve some debt *that they were told to do.* The Israeli leadership is not backing down from continuing with the company. There's a rumor floating around that the Bulto family might even get involved again, but that's purely rumor. GG is not "insolvent." They are, in fact, about to reinvent themselves for MY2016 in the way of Italian Husky X-Lite engines (that they now own - instead of five year old Yamaha engines used under license) - even rumored to have possibly purchased the tooling and patents for the X-Lite 450 that was ready to go when BMW ditched out.
    lankydoug likes this.
  4. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    I really hope things getting better for GasGas- its always good to have the choice which bike to buy, not only a choice of a white or orange ktm
  5. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    GasGas is insolvent. By definition and by action. Let's hope the court rules in their favor in the bankruptcy proceedings.:cheers:
  6. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Jon, I think SWM got the new x-lite motors they even show it in some of their pics that I have seen.
  8. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Hmm...I knew SWM got Husky engines (I posted about it a fair while ago), I thought it was the previous "big block" style? Now I don't remember. I wouldn't argue either way. I do know that GG bought the tooling and patents for the X-Lites, that engine is one of the main reasons Bill took on GasGas - we already pretty much know what makes them tick. Unless they changed directions and didn't tell anyone...Which would not be a surprise from a Spanish company.
  9. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    GasGas bought a few x-lite deisgns and pattents, like the latest 310. Not everything. :) SWM bought a few x-lite designs, all old blocks, all engine concepts and all two-strokes.
  10. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Saying they bought the rights to a few x lite designs means they bought all. There was only a 250-310. The only change to them was the red head...oh and a rumored 450 x lite
  11. Erik Italhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna Nuda 900R & SM630
    Guess which one I am talking about. :P However it is a internal rumor! Nothing on paper yet!
  12. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I believe there was also a 340 x-lite design. When you say there was only a 250-310 design I think you mean production. There are always more designs than production.
  13. Auto5guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165, 2004 WB165, 1984 wr400
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 Maico 400, 1974 Penton 400
    I paid attention when Cannondale was auctioned off after its bankruptcy. Dinli bid on the "intellectual" rights (prints, cad drawings and patents) and paid through the nose to acquire them.

ATK then stepped in and bought all existing inventory for peanuts. Rightly assuming the same court that they just legally bought the parts from would never rule they didn't have the right to sell bikes made from those same parts. And once they sold the bikes they then had the right to product support. They essentially then owned the design as well.

I wonder if we aren't going to see a similar scenario play out between SWM and Gas Gas. Even if SWM were to directly infringe on the rights held by Gas Gas, how long before the insolvent Gas Gas would be anywhere near capable of doing anything about it?
    fletchman45 likes this.
  14. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

A little off topic but yes Tm may be small but in no way shape or form has had the problems gas gas has....I would not hesitate to get another Tm....I also still want to assume gas gas will get thru this...
    Camstyn, flyingbob and troy deck like this.
  15. Captnemo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300 ('15), TX300 ('19), TX300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ATK406 ('94 XC),
  16. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    from past posts and news/photos it appears GasGas was sporting the black head 310 while SWM was showing the 340 with oil galley up the left side, larger starter and more. So maybe some production tooling to GasGas and some older production units/prototypes/future design to SWM with Shineray covering costs.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/swm-is-back.46580/
  17. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    so whos using the old husky 125 engine? I wouldn't have thought GG would be interested in the husky 125 as theirs is already pretty good(based off YZ125 I think) unless they were planning on doing a 165 production run or it IS a YZ125 motor used under licence? SWM doing 2T yet? sorry been away for a while so catching up on all the goss:)
  18. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    as i recall SWM plans to use it
  19. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Spoke to what was a very active TM dealer and racer this weekend at the Idaho City ISDE Qualifier and he said TM stop sending bikes and support. Said there is a severe lack of inventory and support and moved on after spending many years selling and racing TMs. He likes the bikes but said the inventory is way to spotty to deal with.
  21. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    seems beta is the only one of the smaller companies that is doing it right(well down here they are getting more & more popular & looks like they getting a foothold in the states). GG, TM & sherco should pay attention & revise their gameplan!
    fletchman45 and Motosportz like this.