1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Twin Shock Piggyback Ohlins Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Jan 29, 2010.

1. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I have been using one of these for many years now. I bought it originally for the old CCM, but have used it on all of my twin shocks. It has spent a great deal of time changing springs on Ohlins.

SEE HERE
  2. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
  3. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
  4. dmcoz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 CR250, 125 2003 TE250
  5. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Think I have it corrected to share. This is both remote reservoir and piggyback manuals and an old article on rebuilding Ohlins. Let me know if you have any problem.
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!Akhbhd3iqlMpgmOeja8UUiF2PoQl

Steve
  6. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM370, Curtis Honda, Maico 400
    Sorry guys i know this is an old thread. But can someone tell me how to remove the gold resevoir on these shocks?
  7. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They are screwed. You need only to unscrew them.
  8. chamber66 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 1972
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM370, Curtis Honda, Maico 400
    Managed it now. They were in extremely tight
  9. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    A little heat around the threads helps but, ya, they are TIGHT!
  10. enduro250z Husqvarna
    AA Class

I added a handle from a piece of 20 x 20 square tube to this as well

[IMG]
  11. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I use propane heat lil tapping by threads to shock it, with rubber mallet and a rubber strap wrench and comes right off.

On other shocks I have a strap type small oil filter wrench I cut down and use piece of motorcycle tube in between strap and body.
  12. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bringing up this old thread. Appreciate any help from you guys. I have the rebuild kit and am doing a set of these piggyback shocks for my dad that have been apart for years. When I look in the body I see 3 clip groves? I assume the lower 2 deeper in the body are for retaining the seal head. But the grove closest to the bottom of the body….what goes in there? It it just a stopper for tapping the dust cover down? Is that slot left empty? Doesn’t appear to hold anything?

Attached Files:

13. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Most likely you have the updated seal heads as that is what is available. You only use the lowest c-clip groove and the top c clip groove. The updated seal head eliminates the need for the middle c-clip.

Marty
    SteveJ and Picklito like this.
  14. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the help. That makes sense. Now for filling these things, the manual is a bit hard to follow and I don’t have the cap or special measuring tool. I recently built a set of Fox Piggybacks…is there any reason I couldn’t fill the Ohlins the same way as the Fox? Install reservoir piston and cap, put a little air in to bottom out piston (then release air). Then fill the body with oil and install shaft/seal head (according to Fox manual when you push in the seal head it will move the reservoir piston to where it needs to be.)
  15. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yes this will work just fine. Also that is way I like to do it but I just push the reservoir piston down to bottom it with a blunt object instead of using air. Like you said then top off the shock body (after removing air bubbles) then push the seal head down and it will push the reservoir piston back up some to the needed height. Also I use Ohlins oil or Maxima heavy shock oil. Do not use the med or lite wt oil.

Marty
  16. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    You should also have a bleed hole on those. Once you 'think' you've got all the air out, cycle them a few times with that hole "at the top" and then check. You can release/replace any air with a little oil. While you're here, you can also make sure your reservoir pistons are in the same position on both sides, and correct it if not. Obviously, the less air you leave behind the better. Yes, to the Maxima Heavy shock oil.

I should add: DO NOT remove that bleed screw until you release pressure and remove the schrader insert from the reservoir. AMHIK.
  17. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

Marty, as far as topping off the shock body, I probably don’t want to top off the whole body (to over flowing) I would think just at or above the clip groove for the seal head? I’m thinking the more oil that’s in the body the further up it will push the reservoir piston when I install.
  18. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    No, you want to fill it ( the shock body) to the point it is right at the top edge and if it over flows a bit that is good as it helps bring the bubbles to the top and then you can kind of just skim those bubbles off. You don't want to have any bubbles or air left in the fluid.

Marty