1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Twin Shock Piggyback Ohlins Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Jan 29, 2010.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Michel,
    Would you have the pictures (Fig. 5.1 and the "measuring stick") in the above "The assembly" thumbnail? Sure would like to see what they are referencing.
    Thanks, Rick
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Is it allright ???

Attached Files:

3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Michel,
    Yea - more info is always a good Getting a grasp on the process. Picture 4.1? It would be nice to compare what I've got. All your help is truly appreciated. Just trying to get my "ducks in a row". Thanks.
    Rick
  4. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I've sent to moderator Husky T a CD with the ohlins workshop manual and others HVA manuals.
    If he can add them to vintage ref tech, it could help you.
    Schimmelaw , I can send you a copy of all the manuals i have if you send me your postal address on my email.

Attached Files:

5. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you Michel. The CH brotherhood continues to amaze me w/ the sharing of info (who, what, when, where, why and how), tips (short cuts/ez way of doing something) and the "how to"s.

While waiting for parts I made up my version of the above resevoir "measuring stick"/piston tool. Took an old rat screwdriver, hacked the end off, ground it down to get a 3mm - 0.50 die over the end of it, went to work and cut some threads, marked at 90mm. Done. Bring on the oil.

Attached Files:

6. HuskyT Moderator

Michel.... I am working on this but am having a tough time trying to host all 53 images of the reservoir manuals on the remote server...it is on the server but I cannot get it to appear...:excuseme::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have requested for Dean ( Coffee) to take a look at it.

Sorry but this one has me stopped right now...:excuseme:

T
  7. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Tim, it might help to turn the multiple image files into a single pdf using adobe acrobat writer. File > create pdf > from multiple files ... then click the browse button and go find the images in the correct order. Reduce the image file sizes first so that the pdf isn't too big, and rename them into page order. Hope that helps...

Lucien
  8. HuskyT Moderator

Can I download "WRITER" ..? I do not have it... just reader. Free Download?

Willing to try with some guidance through it.

T
  9. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    You can down load it. Try it for 30 days.:D

But then it will cost ya. http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
  10. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not a good first rebuild for shocks. One shock (the first on I did) not holding/leaking down nitrogen - little compression or rebound. Other shock was better - compression, rebound, no leaks and holding a steady 140lbs of nitrogen.

Post first rebuild both shocks got cosmetic resto. Knowing what I know now, cosmetic resto would have waited.
    Scratched shock bodies a little doing the tear down and second rebuild today.

Second rebuild out in the garage, as of right now, much better. Had a better understanding of what I was doing and much more efficient in the procedure. Nitrogen this week. Hopefully no issues (leaks) (double finger cross).

If all good, some spot painting, springs, hardware and mounting.

Thanks Scott, Michel and Husky John for the info. Wouldn't have been doable w/out it.

Rick

Attached Files:

11. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Shocking development. Both shocks held a 155lb. nitogen charge (per magazine article) w/ no leak down. "15 bar" as the Ohlins' manual suggests equates to 217 something lbs. - local shock guy said way too much. Can't believe the results.
  12. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    yeah.....

but Race Tech has Gold Valve Shock kits now....

just open the twins back up and set up your valving!
    :D

HR
  13. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

HR,
    Man your killing me!!! Don't tell me that now that I'm done!! b/c I'm done. No more shock internals for me. I'm stoked to have new seals/bands, oil and nitro. BUT still very interesting tid bit. Any photos, $, numbers, expirence w/? NO never mind I don't want to know - I'M DONE.
    Rick
  14. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    Okay fine....

I wont tell you I have a lengthy email to Mat at RT about the price, availability, DIY or them do it, and the cost of the different models of -3 RT replacement shocks.

Nope
    Wont tell you that, NOR will I tell you when he responds (out of the office doing all the international bike shows etc) but I wont tell you when he gets back in the office next week.

Nope, no problem...wont say a thing.
    :D

HR
  15. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

hawaii,
    Got any pictures of their shocks? Got a feeling they are high dollar.
  16. wazz Husqvarna
    C Class

Hey guys,

Great thread here. I'm getting ready to do a rebuild on the Ohlins ITC twin shocks.
    I'm just compiling a list of tools. The one I'm not sure I need is a spring compressor to remove the springs? These shocks are coming off a '83 husky 250. Do these have the
    dual springs? Thanks schimmelaw for starting this thread.

Thanks everyone!

wazz
  17. LHill Husqvarna
    B Class

Rick:

I know a big shot at Darr. I think he's the President, if not, definitely a heavy hitter. What can they do for you?

LHill
  18. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    I did not see any infomation in the reference section on the Ohlins shocks so I sent five PDF files to the moderator for uploading. Four are for the Ohlins shocks and the other one is for the Fox Airshoxs. Hope someone can use the infomation to help them out.
  19. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

wazz,
    Your welcome. I didn't have any probs getting my springs off. Big screwdriver and a second somebody to pull the bottom clip on mine. EZ PZZie. Can't help you w/ any info on the ITC shocks but someone on here probably can.

Mr. Hill,
    Nothing, I'm good. Took the shocks over to Lucky and he nitro'd them for me. He gave me a thumbs up and I walked out of there about 3' off the ground!! Thanks, though. Lunch soon?

td,
    I and the other vintage bros applaud you effort.
    Rick
  20. wazz Husqvarna
    C Class

Hey schimmelaw,

I thought you were working on the ITC or no? I wonder if its the same procedure?

Maybe I should call Ohlins to see if I can get a pdf. of the ITC.

Thanks again!

wazz