1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Twin Shock Piggyback Ohlins Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Jan 29, 2010.

1. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are these shocks rebuildable in the garage w/ basic hand tools and a rebuild kit from Phillip? Not real concerned w/ valving updates/changes just wanted to freshen up the seals, oil and nitrogen.

Has anyone done it themselves? If so, given a "do over" what would/could/should you have done differently? What were the results?. Any pitfalls? Any special tools? Instruction guide?

Addressing this shock issue is one of 2 or 3 big things I have left to do and would like to do it out in the garage vs sending them out to someone.

Attached Files:

2. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    I've done those in the past as well as modern shocks. I only drawback is one can never fully remove the air from the unit unless you have a specialized tool for that.
    I send mine out to Javier of TrailTricks Engine and Suspension, he's a well known KTM wrench in CA. but knows Ohlins, Marzocchi, WP, KYB and Showa.
    A genius in the suspension dept!
    benny likes this.
  3. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did mine, fabricated a spring compressor and the rest was just handtools. I would recommend buying the seal heads assembled as the inner seals are a pain, not much more to buy them that way and its worth it. The best tip I got was of course keep eveything in order, esp dampening discs. Next was to heat the oil up to 150-180 deg. before filling shock. That reduces the viscosity and helps keep air bubble entrapment when filling . I have everything to refill the nitrogen already because I do hydraulic work and use it in accumalators. I believe Rick Lago @ Motocentre in Yakima Wash. only charges $125-$150 labor for a pair plus parts. :thumbsup:
  4. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks boys,
    I guess I got to get a assembly manual. Never tore into a shock before - don't know how/where to start BUT I ain't scared.
  5. HuskyT Moderator

Will Rick sandblast and repaint the bodies? So that you have a rebuilt " new " looking shock. I would be interested in having him do my 1980 Remote Reservoir Shocks.

Also has anyone heard if Phillips new replacement braided hoses actually are threaded specifically to mate with the older stock body? I have read in a couple of places with people having problems with the new hoses not threading correctly.

Phillip - if you are reading this can you please clarify?

T
  6. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

As for cleaning and painting the shocks I'm pretty sure he offers hat service. He is a great guy, easy to talk to and very involved with the PNW vintage racing, Hammer and Tongs. I believe his website is www.motocentre-maico.com, if not, that will get you close. He has a list of services and prices on the site. Scott

Checked website and it is correct. Dont let the Maico thing scare you off-he's a Husky guy too!
  7. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ohlins manual

I believe there is a article on shock rebuilding on this site under tech references. I bought the service manual and its vague on the models. I think the old article was better. Doing all the work you have done on the bike, the shocks will be a "relaxing" project. But then again I ride like my ten year old daughter so who knows if I did them right!
  8. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Shocking update. Damn the torpdos - full speed ahead. Disassembled, cleaned, new seals, tefllon bands, bushings, bump stop and reassembled up to this point. Really need help now:
    (1) How do I add oil?
    (2) How much?
    (3) Where?
    Thanks in advance to those in the know.
    Rick

Attached Files:

9. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    Atta boy Rick
  10. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

11. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The translation !!!
    Ohlins shock Grand prix refection
    Dismantling : been meeting problems while dismantling these shocks, I describe here the dismantling for the beginners. There’s also a PDF in English (http://pureenduro.free.fr/Div/OhlinsJPC/OhlinsOverhaul.pdf) where refection is explained in details.
    1)Remove springs , spring retainers, and take off gas in order to take off oil shock.
    2)Press reservoir end down 1 or 2 centimeters in order to see the circlip. You can push softly with a plastic hammer if it resists.
    3)Remove circlip and be careful not to damage the inside.
    4) Remove reservoir end.
    5) Remove the reservoir piston.
    If the piston is locked in the the reservoir, you can screw a long M3 screw on it.
    These operations can allow you to control the good shape of pistons and seals.
    This allow you to take off all the oil. In my case all was good.
    6)Remove scraper retainer ( Cap). It is not screwed but only pulled down.
    You can use a screwdriver and a hammer. Be careful. Push gently all around the scraper retainer (Cap).
    7)Push down the internal part ( see picture) until you see the first circlip.( There are three on these shocks).
    Then remove the circlip.
    8) Then you can remove this part ( see picture)
    9) Do the same with the next part to remove the circlip.
    10)Then, normally you can remove the part. But it is here I’ve got a big difficulty. Impossibility to remove this part.
    This part moves up and down on several centimeters, but it don’t want to go out easily. And nothing on it to pick it up. I had the same problem on the two shocks. I tried to use a steel wire to get it out, but it didn’t work.
    I sacrified this part, but no problems because the three parts piled up are now replaced by ohlins by one part (ASSY).
    I made a hole in this part with a DREMEL , screwed a screw for wood and pull on it ( see picture).
    11) Remove the 3rd circlip and the next part. Then you can pull the piston shaft and all the parts on it.
    12)All you’ve got to do now, is to unscrew the nut and pull all the parts. Note the order of the parts or keep them together with a plastic wire ( Serflex = see picture) .
    All the parts:
    Painting: The painting has been made by a professional because I couldn’t find myself the originals colors.
    Reservoirs are painted In gold and have been also varnished. Springs have been painted in black and marine blue.
    They are not always blue.
    Ohlins parts:
    Before assembling, you must find spare parts to change: They are available at French ohlins importer.
    PFP Racing
    2 r Marc Seguin
    ZA Mamou
    15130 Arpajon sur Cère Téléphone 33.(0)4.71.48.15.34
    Fax 33.(0)4.71.64.25.93

With that PDF, you can find the numbers of the parts wanted.
    http://pureenduro.free.fr/Div/OhlinsJPC/ohlins.pdf
    It costed me 250 € for the parts. It is not easy to find the right number for the parts because several numbers are possible. Better to phone to the importer to have help.
    The “kit”:

In this KIT, there’s a new part which remplaces the three parts ( right), so you need to put back only two circlips.
    Stickers:
    I took these sold by PLAN PLAN ( French stickers maker)
    http://membres.lycos.fr/bpiimprimeur/

Assembling:
    all the parts
    Instructions for assembling.
    (then you can translate the whole page of the ohlins workshop manual .Between N° 6 and N°7 it is added :order of parts on the shaft).
    In the end , I’ve got that !!!
    It makes me a beautiful pair of öhlins shock for 450 €.
    Jean-Philippe.
  12. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The assembly !

Attached Files:

13. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Here 's Ohlins shock how to

Guys,
    Here's a shock rebuild how to :thumbsup:

l've got one for resevoir ones too :D

Husky John

Attached Files:

14. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Michel,
    Mostly followed your guide up to #12 for disassembly. Putting a screw in the upper bushing/bearing for removal is genius!! Thats how I got mine out.

HJ,
    You are the man. This my friend has been printed off, plastic sleeved and in the Husky binder. Parts in the article are different than mine but the principal/procedure is the same.
    Answers all my reassembly and oil refilling questions and even a few tid bits of info I would have never known about (theory of washer action, placement and orientation of "BIG" washers and nitrogen amount).

On ward thru the fog.
  15. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Schimm, if you were just down the street I'd fill-em-up with gas for ya. Scott
  16. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husq.fleet,
    May take you up on the offer when I get to that point - shipping be damned. I know a fellow CHr would take care of me.
    Odering up some oil and misc. from Phillip on Monday.
    Rick
  17. Moody390 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi.
    Is there any chance I can take a peek at the remote resevoir rebuild manual? It's one of the last hold ups for me.... Thanks
  18. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Ohlins reservoir shock manual

Site, says i can't upload, Ohlins reservoir shock manual as it's too large

Maybe Husky T can help out & i'll email it to him & he can post it in tech
    section, What you think T

Husky John
  19. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I found a article on this site from MXA 82-83? Great two-three page easy to understand on rebuilds, cant find it again. I printed it but I dont have a scanner, I'll see what I can do about getting it posted. Schimm. do you have a John Deere, Cat shop or a Hydraulic service nearby? They will fill those shocks also, just tell them the pressure. If you want to ship them that would be OK also! Scott
  20. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Scott,
    Thanks for the heads up. There is a huge DARR facility in Irving. I would have to check yellow pages for others. Thanks again though,
    Rick