1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Twin Shock Piggyback Ohlins Rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by schimmelaw, Jan 29, 2010.

1. wazz Husqvarna
    C Class

Hey schimmelaw,

I thought you were working on the ITC or no? I wonder if its the same procedure?

Maybe I should call Ohlins to see if I can get a pdf. of the ITC.

Thanks again!

wazz
  2. enduro250z Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you can get any info on the Ohlins ITC's that would be great. I only have a sales brochure on them. I was actually surprised to see that there was Ohlins ITC and Betor ITC shocks. Ive never seen any Betor ITC shocks though.
  3. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

From looking at Phillips site, the shock rebuild kit is the same for 78' thru 85' dual shocks. This includes the ITC ones. If the rebuild kit is the same, I would bet the rebuild procedure is similar if not indentical. If similar, the above thread attachments will get you there.

To close this thread out on my end - misc. hardware installed and shocks mounted up. Shocking A.

Attached Files:

4. husky-parts.com Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 1978 thru 85 rebuild kits are not all the same, the 1978-80, 1981-82 and the 1983-85 "ITC" kits all contain some similiar pieces but also contain unique pieces for the years stated[STRIKE][STRIKE][STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE][/STRIKE]. My "Tailored for specific year" kits are only available from me and contain correct parts. Hope this helps
  5. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

With what Phillip posted above all bets are off. I can't really comment on the rebuild procedure for any shocks other than the 81/82' piggybacks. Sorry wazz.
    Rick
  6. smallbore Husqvarna

Hi gents. I have just signed up to the forum to say thanks. I am rebuilding a 1984 cr250 and have been using this thread to help with the shocks. Thanks to all that have posted.
  7. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Glad to hear the thread was of help. This site has a great wealth of info from some really knowledgable and friendly folks.
    Was the ITC shock rebuild the same basic procedure as above? Any different procedures/tools used?
    What amout of oil was used for the shock.
    What is the recomended nitrogen pressure?
    Just curious.
    Rick
  8. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

"Da Judge" is still kicking! Still waiting on the ride report on your awesome 430.........
  9. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Some action photos would be good too. That is one nice looking motard! Also, does anyone have any cheap easy ideas for spring compression so that I can easily change clip position on the ohlins on or off the bike?
  10. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I did not want to mess with my ITC's and sent them to WER and they are awsome now.
  11. smallbore Husqvarna

Hi Rick,
    The only difference I found was the number of circlips inside the shock body. Mine only had two, one for the oil seal assembly and the other for the rubber top out bump stop. The groove for the third was there, in between the two, but no clip. No special tools, just patience, this website, a screwdriver, a hammer and pointy nosed pliers for pulling out the resevoir cilinder. One of these was a bit stuck so I used compressed air to blow it out. I had some silicone grease so I used a light coating on the 'o' rings. I found some 'BO motor oil' monoshock lubricant at the local KTM shop and used less than 700cc. I went to the local truck tyre dealer and got 9bar/130psi of nitrogen pumped in. This may be a bit low, I will add later if needed.
    The main purpose of this was to replace the oil, no seals replaced. The bike will only get light trail riding so the idea was to freshen up what was there. I raced the bike back in 84 and I loved the way they worked then. It will be interesting to see how they feel now.
    Cheers, Andy
  12. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Adam6402,
    Can't help much w/ the spring removal. Always went "caveman" and used screwdrivers to compress the spring/s and a third hand to remove the bottom spring retainer.

The real bugger is getting at and working with the recessed preload clip once the springs are removed. I'm dangerous w/ a pick or screw driver in close range. So, to keep from stabbing myself or poking an eye out with one of the fore mentioned tools of destruction, I took the stock clip to my local hardware store and found a large c-clip. Fits right in the groves on the shock body and MUCH easier to fiddle/work with. Safer for me too.

Hope you can use some of this,
    Rick

Attached Files:

HuskyT likes this.
  13. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello, well I picked up a Pair of ITCs on e-bay for next to nothing. I havn't even seen them yet I'm not exspecting much I'm just considering them a Pair of cores to build from. As I'm reading all the great info above it brings one question to mind. Would anybody NOT use the Race Tech Emulators in the ITC's? Thanx....
  14. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I assume you mean Gold Valves, Emulators are for damper rod forks. Race Tech guts will not improve on the Ohlins stuff, what you are really paying for when you buy Gold Valves is access to their shim stack database.
  15. hogbygardd Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    125CR's 1978, 81 82 84
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490
    Has anyone ever attempted to shorten the 84 ITC's to fit a 81 frame/swingarm. As they are now the 84's I have are approx 19" and need to go down to the 17" range if that is what fits a 81
  16. husqvarna-parts Husqvarna
    AA Class

You will need to change out the lower end eye but most importantly is that the 83-85 "ITC" had a different stroke and valving from the 1981-82 style Ohlins and are not designed/valved for 81/82 frame geometry. You have more to do internally than just shortening the Eye to Eye. Rear suspension is a science and is very involved to do "valving/damping correctly. There are lots of people that can rebuild a shock but Nobody even comes close to Mike at SRD, he is the only one in the world that Dyno's your shocks and valves/dampens them to your weight, riding style and model of bike. He does not advertise and he doesn't have to, serious riders know who he is. Those who have used his services become enlighted quickly.
    hogbygardd likes this.
  17. hogbygardd Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    125CR's 1978, 81 82 84
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Maico 490
    Too much trouble, just picked up a pair of Ohlins off a 79 250CR for $100, ready to bolt on but I'm going to flush out and add some new fluid to be safe..Just going to put the ITC's up for sale along with the other ones I mentioned, maybe some lucky soul needs some parts off them...thanks
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R

I would be happy to become enlightened.....if only I knew how to find Mike at SRD :)
  19. Richard Garvey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420, 400, 250, 390, 510, 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    triumph 1200

Hi

I was wondering if I could have a look at the remote reservoir rebuild manual?

Regards

Rich
  20. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I built a cheap spring compressor tool out of some garden edging stakes and some square tube. its agrticultural and dodgy but it works.

it has along bolt through the middle of a short length of tube with a nut welded to the tube. the bolt end has a u shaped flat that allows a bolt through the eye of the shock base. off each end is a length of flat steel (garden edging stakes) with hooks that slip over the spring. when you wing up the bolt, it forces the shock through the spring leaving the collar free. I only hope the spring doesn't sproing at the wrong moment so i'm very careful getting the collars out with pliers and a screwdriver