TR650 Strada & TR650 Terra

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Ex HVUK, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250

You sound like a new 449 or 511 guy ...
  2. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    Quick story, I bought a nearly new Yamaha WR250 last summer. Thought it might make an OK GF bike or a good bike to ride on days when I didn't feel like having my arms ripped off by the WR300.

GF couldn't ride it, too tall, zero bottom end. I rode it 20 miles put it back in the trailer and sold it the next weekend. Too heavy, no bottom end, meager mid, had to be screamed to go and weird handling.

The Japanese build good bikes but they just don't do anything for me, that's why the Honda 919 is going and getting replaced by another Ducati.
  3. rt3856 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011TE449
    I think it will be a good addition to the stable.
    I have the 449 and ride the crap outta it.
    Something to be a little more road friendly will work for me.
    Just hope it isn't like a KLR I would kill myself first
    ray_ray likes this.
  4. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I am not sure what a plow horse is, I use the term draft horse. It would be fun to get a bunch of cards with pictures of breed of horse and models of various registerable but somewhat dirt bikes and try and match them up.

What I see in the specs posted early on in this thread is higher compression, more valve lift, more cam duration than the bmw 650 single. That doesn't sound the way to go if you want to ride on horse trails.

I am with the guy who liked the moab better but half of the 1000cc bmw four might be even better re packaged. I think the 450 single was supposed to have roots in one cylinder off a formula 1 race car or similar.

fran
  5. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

6. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    Specs dont seem all that great - i still think my 530 would out perform it; power, weight, handling. Plus that thing is kind of ugly in street trim.
  7. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    You're comparing a dirt bike to a street bike. :rolleyes:

The Terra/Strada will outlast that 530 in miles 3:1.
  8. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Terra Modena is the ULTIMATE SM. Sadly, very expensive and doesn´t seem to be on the market. As I see things, 400cc is the benchmark weight limit for an SM (certainly not anything heavier). The problem for me is that there doesn´t seem to be a bike available that is street legal, durable, light and with the performance of a 511.

Was in heavy traffic yesterday for a long haul on the 630. It´s just too HEAVY! I could have done the same distance on a 250 much quicker. But then I have to commute 60 kms on the Autobahn and am wary of ripping the innards out of a 511. (Owners here tell me that you should only ride it wide open for as long as you can hold your breath).
  9. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    Good point. As much as I love my 530, it sits waiting the next track day and ticks away each lap I complete ;)
  10. hudler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I was pondering a DRZ400 or KLR650 purchase. I also looked at the BMW G650Gs models, but they were quite expensive. This bike seems to fit the bill perfectly. It has more power then the KLR/DRZ and also is a bit more modern with inverted front shocks and better tires etc. I read a bit on the 900 nuda which uses the F800 engine punched out to 900cc's. The reviewer raves about the engine and what Husky did to it and also states that the bike has some very nice bits on it. If the same holds true to this machine it could be a very nice bike. The reworked F800 engine has a great sound and alittle soul now in the Nuda. At 6999 msrp for the base Terra Husky/Bmw may have a winner on its hands. I think I will have one in the garage in the spring, its been 25 years since I have had a bike....its time to start riding again!!!
    WoodsChick and ray_ray like this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great post and you are exactly the customer these guys are working towards. I am also interested in this bike as a replacement to my fast street bike and an addition to my dirt bikes for more exploring longer range adventures.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    For sure! :cheers:
  13. jellyrug Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sigh....

Around 300lbs is my limit, looks like it will be a long time before I part with my 610.

Just did 1,200 miles of TAT, followed by some level 3 to 4 terrain with friends in AR, the 610 did not miss a beat, averaged around 63 miles to the gallon and was a breeze compared to some of the heavier bikes.

If they stole it, KTM 500 EXC, here I come.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Well what do the 610 and 630 weigh? This new model is definatley more street which is a good thing for a lot of people. Motoaportz needs to start making parts ASAP for this thing cause I think they are going to be a huge seller. I'm really considering one. I think most people's idea of adventure is a road trip with some fire roads thrown in anyway.
    dave lindsey likes this.
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Oh yeah, to Motoaportz, I would like everything in red please!
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I do plan to build a slew of parts for this machine. And use the crap out of them !
  17. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    You should make spool sliders or maybe even a small cage! Metal hand guards? Don't forget hard bags, top fed though cause we don't want everything on the trail when we fall down lol. Ill think of more later
  18. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Including that "H" shaped rear rack right?(lol)
  19. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    After giving the Terra a "pass" on first look, I'm thinking of getting one to replace my BMW road bike as my dual sports are getting a lot more ride time these days. It would not be a replacement for my 630 but rather something for long trips so I don't have to worry about racking up serious miles, cam chain replacement, etc. My dealer is trying to confirm what is available for options on the Terra and it is not real clear right now. I would want a small windscreen, heated grips, power outlet, and perhaps paniers if they are decent. There seems to be some confusion regarding what you can do with the Terra versus the Strada. The only serious reservation I have is the minimal wheel travel and the 5 speed transmission. I am very tempted to put a deposit down and be one of the first owners, but the smart thing would be to wait and get some reports first. Not sure if I'm smart or not......
  20. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'm not buying one anytime soon or maybe never but after looking at them AND seeing the price and looking again ... Well maybe I do have a small chance of owning one down the road ...

The look is growing on me and got to thinking about riding one here and it would fit well I think (as would the 610 & 630) with the roads speeds not being too fast usually (60 MPH is fast fast most places) ... And there are many dirt roads , not too gnarly, on the more primitive islands to ride and here on Cebu also... So performance of these bikes would fit me I think ... I don't wanna go much faster than 70MPH anyway ....

I can see your point on waiting because it seems that the first few bikes sold might have some rejected parts that are updated later in the release year ...

But overall, unless the bike is a total flop, it'll be whatever it is and the next years model will have updates and the beat goes on ... 7.5" travel does sound small but I could manage with it I think and hope it would not need to be sent off for shim work ... Others might have issues with it too short ...

You are not the first to question the tranny ratios ;) ... Husky has got many gunshy in that department ...