TR650 Strada & TR650 Terra

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Ex HVUK, Jul 11, 2012.

1. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I agree. On paper, my 630 eats that thing alive.

The only downer to my 630 is that endless commuting on it means lots of engine work. You can't just change the oil and ride it like you can a street bike.

Hopefully these new bikes have got much longer maintenance intervals to go with them.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I don't think it is necessarily any better, just more road worthy. The 06 610 you refer to had issues that required maintenance and couldn't carry much luggage without modifications. The 630 was improved but it still has limitations. Both bikes are more off road focused.
    From what I have heard the TR650 motor is capible of longer maint. intervals and better suited for the tarmac (cush rear hub). I took one for a short ride yesterday at Bill's and was immediately stuck by how silky smooth it was. There has been some concern about the 650s 5speed, but I'm not sure that will be an issue because of the torquey nature of the motor.
    I think ther could be some surprised 610/630 owners if they drag race one....
    Go take one for a ride.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Agreed. I am still seriously considering selling my BMW RT to get one of these. It sounds like it will suit my riding preferences very nicely.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Ok - smoother riding, cush hub, longer maintenance intervals - all good things. So while it weighs what a SV650 weighs, it is better suited for occasional offroad, or possibly rough road riding (Adventure type riding).
    If it does have decent torque at low rpms and it is intended for mostly street use, the number of gears and ratio of the transmission less of an issue. Whereas my TE250 drives me nuts cause it does not sound too happy above 50MPH when geared for offroad.

What other bikes use this motor, and how long do those motors last in those bikes?
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Wide ass guess as i have not ridden the bike but ridden several G650's and the like with this motor...

1. smoother motor with more power
    2. longer lasting motor (this is a huge motor with lots of oil and a history of running forever and doing serious miles)
    3. Lower, heavier, more street oriented
    4. 570/610/630 platform extremely old (not that thats bad but...)
    5. More amenities / different focus for this bike than previous, think light weight adventure bike not true DS bike which they already have.
    6. Uses existing platform so EZer to bring a new model to a new market segment
    7. Low and long geared. (better for some customers looking for that)
    8. Price point
    Coffee likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    gobs of bikes use a version of this motor for many years. Proven very reliable and robust. Many BMW models and many other bikes and quads use a version of this motor.
    Coffee likes this.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    While it does weigh almost as much as a V-strom is is the same displacement and I bet every bit as fast (will know soon as a good buddy has a 650 V-strom) it is much slimmer and much more dirt bike setup and should be a far better off road mount.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The picture i posted here a few pages back (silver beast) is a G650 based bike. Seat of the pants is it would absolutely smoke a 570/610/630 IMHO. Faster on top too.
  9. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You are a hell of a salesman, now I want one!

(I would like to think old is not necessarily a bad thing :lol:)
    Xcuvator likes this.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I thought it was about 375lbs? and according to this link, the v-strom 650 is 490lbs wet?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_V-Strom_650

EDIT: in post #2 of this thread it lists this:
  11. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    so I went lurking and it seems that these motors are 50k plus miles before they need any motor work. 3k oil changes and thats about all. Now they increased horsepower by 10% which may lower the maintenance but not enough for it to be a big deal. I found a video on youtube (long and boring) but the bike really does look a lot better then it does in pictures. I just think it needs Motorsportz finishing touch. Coffee, prep the Terra/Strada portion of the forum lol
    Coffee likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It is a big industrial lump, holds a bunch of oil and only revs to 8K so I bet thats about right. About like your standard street bike. The BMW I rode was slightly boring but the reports are this motor is a lot more fun, I hope so. Bill said it pulls the front end off the ground EZ. More reporting tomorrow after the ride.
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You read my mind :)

Anyone know what efi? Mikuni? Keihin? (sp?)
    How reliable and what cost is the bmw fuel pumps?
  14. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Me wheelie never!That would be silly and iresponseable,but fun.had to know,its ok Kelly its the bike your getting!!:lol:
    ray_ray, Coffee and LandofMotards like this.
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    The website says "marelli efi". The only issues I could find with fuel pumps were in the 20k to 30k mileage wise. Have yet to find cost of fuel pump
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ok...
  17. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

"G650. Seat of the pants is it would absolutely smoke a 570/610/630 IMHO. Faster on top too."

Didn´t try Vo but accelleration ... tried it a few day back and my 630 was faster! (he gave up after a very short while). That´s with the p/u kit & JD tuner, twin Arrows and EFI.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I would call that pretty modified. Stock for stock or uncorked for uncorked would be a more fare deal. The TR650 is rated at 58 hp and 45 foot pounds torque, it is no slouch and said to have about 10 more HP than the F-650. It also was stated in one quick test that the TR650 will has a lot more punch than a F650 and is more fun. I hope so as the F650 I rode was good but kinda boring. But it is old school slow reving big pull kind of power. Perfect for this type of machine. What ever it ends up sounds like a good motor for a light weight adventure bike.
  19. TCP Husqvarna
    AA Class

We just got two in today. Can't wait to uncrate and ride one tomorrow.
    Coffee likes this.
  20. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    For awhile now an idea has been floating around in the back of my coconut to take a DR650 and improve its looks as a more street oriented machine. Something like:
    http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/08/30/suzuki-dr650-street-tracker/

Now it seems Husky has done it with the Strada.
    I'd prefer a low mount Zard type exhaust on a road bike, but otherwise it's looking good.
    Dunno if I will buy one, but I'm keen to see both Strada and Terra in person.