TR650 luggage options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    For me "quick connect" is insert key & turn, maybe push a button and it pops off.
    In seconds without tools, typical of GIVI, HB or any other major luggage brand.
    I have a Bike Barn that I keep my bikes in at work, and the trunk has to come off to fit.
    I also pop it off if I am staying at hotels, whenever I need what is in the trunk handy or just want it out of the way.
  2. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    I guess I haven't really decided since I still have some a question. What are peoples thoughts on security? I read the thread over on ADV on soft vs hard and 90 percent prefered hard cases mainly based on security.
  3. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    It really depends on where you ride and what you are comfortable with. My experience is that most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Even soft bags take time to open. As such, I've never even known anyone to have anything stolen from a soft bag. However, I've known quite a few people to have helmets stolen off their handlebars when they weren't secured.

I was on a ride two years ago with three friends. We stopped in a town and got off the bikes to walk around, stretch the legs, and get some food. When we came back to our bikes, three of the four helmets were gone. Mine was still there, and I think it was due to my awesome helmet lock. It was free, and it came with the helmet. Some people call it a chin strap. I looped it around my handlebar. It wasn't even knotted, but it gave enough resistance on the first pull that the dirty thief left it alone.
    Coffee likes this.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    What will you have in the luggage you are worried about would be my first question. It obviously depends on the situation. Regardless, I would suggest that you think about your specific situation, as opposed to what works for others, or as seems to often be the case on the internet - what people can visualize works for them.

I had a business meeting and took a Mac book pro computer to a coffee shop in a unlocked top box, and I knew that would be no problem because I was going straight there, remove the computer, use it, then straight home. But I would never leave that MBP on the bike unattended for any length of time.

Personally I'm not too worried about people stealing camping gear, but it would be a pain in the rump to need to replace a helmet at the last minute. If my helmet was stolen then I would most likely flag down a police officer to make a stolen helmet report so I had that report to show the next officer who pulled me over while riding home or to a store to buy a replacement helmet - so I would not get a ticket for riding without a helmet (helmets are required where I live).
  5. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I typed a response to this question earlier but I must have forgotten to press send. Strangely enough, my response was almost identical to RidingDonkeys' post. Most people don't want to touch your stuff. Of the rest, most will only be tempted to if they're passing it, if they can see it, and if it is accessible and easily removed. So what is probably more important as what luggage you choose, is how accessible you let it be.

Like RD, when I'm going to leave my helmet on my bike, I strap it to the handlebar. It's a real pain in the arse threading the strap through a D-ring over a handlebar, and I have practice. An untrained hand would take much longer to unstrap it, probably more effort than most people would care to expend. My purpose is twofold, because the helmet on the bar is also concealing the GPS. If I'm getting off my bike to go buy food, I'll always try to park it somewhere I can see it, and if I sit in a diner or restaurant, I'll choose a table with a view of the bike. My soft luggage has a couple of buckles on tightened straps and a roll top, and I usually have some additional velcro straps to stop the panniers bouncing around on rough roads, so these add more effort to getting inside.

I've actually seen a video which demonstrates how -one particular brand of bike with factory luggage- with a bent paperclip you can remove the whole lock barrel from the pannier in a few seconds.
    Coffee likes this.
  6. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
  7. CatskillBill Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    all gone
    "If I'm getting off my bike to go buy food, I'll always try to park it somewhere I can see it, and if I sit in a diner or restaurant, I'll choose a table with a view of the bike."

This is one of several things which led me to sell my BMW RS and pick up the Terra. I did big days riding from NJ to TX for rallies...and tired of eating nothing but fast food on the road....because I didn't dare let the bike out of my sight.
  8. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    The Adventure Spec panniers look like a great choice. Waterproof and secure.

Does anyone have any experience with Enduristan luggage? Especially tank bags.
  9. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    Security wise...A few years ago, 4 guys with two pipes and a pick up truck pulled up to a parked HD at the local Home Depot. Ran one pipe through each wheel and lifted the whole thing into the truck.

Point being, a motivated thief won't be stopped by hard or soft luggage.

Hard luggage a pair of bolt cutters if it's a padlock, or a cordless drill or cordless circ saw with a cutoff wheel and they'll get into whatever they want.

Soft luggage, a good pocket knife will slash the bottom of the bag open and it's like a pinata.
  10. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Security, here's my security. 380 auto.jpg
  11. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Precisely, however motorcycle thieves and petty thieves are two different breeds. Motorcycle thieves will get your bike...period. Fortunately, Huskies aren't high on the list of stolen bikes. Harleys and Japanese sport bikes are a whole different story though.

Petty thieves don't care what you ride. They want your stuff. Fortunately, few are very determined, and they mostly look for a quick snag. Anything that isn't quick isn't worth their time or the risk.
  12. Abby Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Boys and their guns.
    kjackbrown likes this.
  13. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Took my new BRMoto side racks and Wolfman Expedition Dry Bags for a solo ride up to the Sierra to see the Perseids meteor shower. They worked great, held everything I needed and more, and I didn't even know they were there. I had to split lanes all the way through Pittsburg and Antioch on the way up and back and it was no big deal. The real test will be my commute into San Francisco today :D Still waiting on my beefy rear rack and my small Wolfman duffle but you get the idea...

P1040465.JPG
    MaxTork, Ol'NumNuts, TE250Guy and 3 others like this.
  14. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You have been bike camping for a long time, when you get a chance I'd really like to know how they compare to other methods/luggage you have used in the past.
  15. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yeah, it would probably be best to leave the detailed defensive weapons discussion for another site, there seems to be a lot of sites dedicated to things like sig/rugar/j frame/whatever.
    nev.., Hansi, kjackbrown and 2 others like this.
  16. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    thats why I use Pacsafe exo-mesh when travelling distant places.

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-85l-backpack-protector

Cant cut it with knife. Takes quite longish time to cut it with good wire cutters.
  17. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Just installed my BRMoto luggage racks - excellent fit, beautiful finish...

Tomorrow I'm going to ride up to Wolfman and pick up a set of expeditions.
    Coffee likes this.
  18. krussell Strada Adventurer

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada (for sale)
    Other Motorcycles:
    K1600 / Super Tenere
    Get the water bottle holders too. They work great.
  19. Ignaciob Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada --> Terra (aka Noxeema)
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 Yamaha FJR (x2), 75 Honda CB400F
    I agree!

I bought 4 myself. I devote 2 to spare fuel that I haven't yet touched, 1 to water I grab regularly when I stop, and 1 full of 80 proof goodness that I share with other adventure riders while camping on the trail. I use different color bottles to reduce the risk of confusion....no drinky from the red bottles at any time! ;)
    bluegopher and kjackbrown like this.
  20. Wolftrax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Yamaha XT1200Z
    Just traveled 8000 miles on a plane with my Giant Loop. Will install on a rented Sertao tomorrow. Try that with your hard bags!:D
    Ol'NumNuts, HARDER1 and bluegopher like this.