TR650 luggage options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Jan 23, 2013.

1. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I had two of the fuel bottle holders already - attached them to my E-12's.

I picked up two more this morning when I got the Expeditions... can carry an additional four liters of fuel now.
    Should be close to 300 mile range on a steady paced trip like the Haul Rd.
    nev.. and Coffee like this.
  2. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    Packed and ready to go camping in Wyoming this weekend... all dirt route from about Berthoud north, working our way thru Red Feather Lakes area, then west of Walden and up.
    Wanted to put a T63 up front, but decided I'd just wear these tires out. If I took a half worn front off I'd never put it back on.

[IMG]
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Back in Mid February I posted this here. Yesterday I was walking down my driveway and I spotted something on the ground. It was a small rubber stopper. I checked the RHS exhaust and sure enough the rubber stopper which holds the heat shield was gone. It had failed at the point where it sits in the exhaust bracket, and the mushroom head of the stopper had sheared off pretty cleanly. I haven't had any luggage or anything else touching the heat shields on this bike for ages, and the RHS stopper lasted about 4000km longer than the LHS. My fix on the LHS was pretty good so I'll duplicate it after work today for the RHS.

4. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR
    Not sure where to post this...
    Anyone using a Nomad rear rack with the BRMoto side racks? I'm wondering if they work together.
  5. Gibster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '84 XR350R
    That's what I'm using, they're fine together.
  6. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR

Great, thanks for the reply. Not sure if I'm going with side racks, but if I do, those look like the winner.
  7. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Same for me as well. Still not sure about side racks, but BRMoto's would be my choice.
    I have the Nomad rack, i'm sure it's the first iteration of it for the TR. Supposedly later revisions had different
    were slightly different, and probably fit better than the original, at least mine.

Just noticed your avatar, I have a picture of myself as a kid on my XR75. Very similar picture
  8. jsdugan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    It seems that people really like the BR Moto side racks, but I was wondering why more people don't go with the TCI Outack Rack System? If I buy BR Moto racks, then I need to spend an extra $68 for the Happy Trails Pannier kit to mount hard bags, right? It looks like almost any rack system and pelican cases are within about $100 of the factory racks and panniers, I think.. Am I accurate with any of this? Do any of the aftermarket rear racks work with the factory system? Thanks in advance for the advice.
  9. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........

Maybe it is a timing thing? BR Moto was the first to the punch in making racks. TCI was a bit late to the game. I think TCI makes a great product, and I'm more than happy with their racks. The one piece design makes for an extraordinarily strong system. I've strapped a 55lb ruck to my tail rack for the daily commute (60+ miles) several times without any issues.
    nev.. likes this.
  10. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR

For me, I'd only be using side racks as a support for a "rackless" system, like the Giant Loop Siskiyou, Adventure Spec Magadans, Enduristan Monsoon, or something like that. The exhausts stick out quite a bit, so I'm not sure that rackless bags will work without melting. When I say rackless, I'm taking about the kind that use the passenger seat as a support, and they usually attach somewhere around the passenger pegs.
  11. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

The pillion seat on the TR650 is pretty wide. I have a Giant Loop Great Basin bag. I also have pannier racks for my soft luggage. The Giant Loop bag is a snug fit on the rear without racks.
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_Q7SEc0pT0o/URsqpiKuZqI/AAAAAAAAIa8/HnaMfMDTAVg/s903/IMAG0508.jpg
    With racks on, it won't even fit, or it has to be mounted so far forward that I have nowhere to sit. I did have a melting incident with the Giant Loop bag, but not due to the exhaust being too wide, but due to failure of the rubber stoppers keeping the plastic heat shields away from the exhaust. Go back 8 posts in this thread to see the cause. Almost every Terra i've inspected is missing at least one of these rubber bumpers. Fixed with a couple of 4x30mm bolts and locknuts.
  12. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    I'm with RD on this. Bought the TCI rack and could not be any more happy. I have put my TCI rack through hell, had to bend the sides back out a few times and it is still solid. ( maybe not exactly straight but solid). Oh, and it really protects the cans from get off's in the rock.
  13. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)

Can you even buy BR Moto racks now? I know for sure that his operation is shut down.
  14. jsdugan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

Any idea why he shut down?
  15. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR
    Their website is still up... I haven't tried to contact them, though. I'm actually hoping I don't need to buy side racks.
  16. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    He retired I think. Stovebolt (inmate on ADV) a friend of mine did all of the welding for BR. BR decided to shut down and Stovey had to find other work. I'm pretty sure that if he has anything left it's just the hoops. But call him and you might get lucky.
  17. jsdugan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Wow, it's looking like the options to accessorize these bikes might end up getting smaller and smaller. It's seeking like the factory hard bags might be my best best if I want top loading hard cases - that is if they are available, and I can part with a decent chunk of change..
  18. jsdugan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Update: I called Hall's (same town I live in), and they said they don't have any of the hard bag kits, and the warehouse shows none, and not sure there will actually be any more. Bill's in Oregon said he has 2 sets left, but getting them to Illinois from Oregon will cost a bit. Don't know what to do..????
  19. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR
    As for BR Moto... I emailed him. He's no longer making racks, but still has some TR650 racks left for sale.
  20. jsdugan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra

Thanks for checking and giving us an update.