TR650 luggage options

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Jan 23, 2013.

1. bmwglenn Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GSA
    Have Touratech racks and some old beat up Givi E36 's and an E45 ? liter top bag. Painted bags white and had bike painted Corvette blue.

Attached Files:

2. bmwglenn Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GSA
    I prefer hard bags, cause I can easily pop em off and go into a hotel, or leave it on the street and not have the bags slashed open while I'm having lunch. This may be my retirement bike on a one way trip south. Guatemala, Nicar. CR, Colo, Ecuador , Peru, Chile etc. Volunteer, ride repeat. Also, like the old Givis cause they are light, unlike my Jesse bags on my BMW GS Adventure. (I hope you can click on the picture above to make it big.)
  3. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Can you post some more pics of your bike with the E22N's on it.
    A full on side view if possible.

Also, can they be mounted on either side, so they slope up or down towards the back?

That is wild that the E22N's paper work clearly show the TR650 & the factory rack.
    I have though the E22's would match well with the bikes lines and scale, particularly with the Strada.
    I wonder if it was originally developed for the Strada as a possible factory option.
  4. tokor Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 701 Enduro
    My version of the bag rack. I do not need as only a 35-liter bag and backpack travels. These I can manage 3-5 days trip.

Teline.jpg Sakki.jpg
  5. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Here are a few pics as requested.

mini-DSC_0147.JPG

View attachment 53939

DSC_0149.JPG

Cannot mount either side as they have slighty different heights of lower mountings and also the reflectors are on the rear of each box.
    Mine are illuminated to show the extra width of the bike at night.

Side Rack construction is improved to also support the flimsy plastic OEM top rack.

mini-DSC_0165.JPG

mini-DSC_0166.JPG
  6. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Thanks.

Interesting, the US bags dont have the reflectors or lights and appear that they can be mounted in either direction.

Large end forward.

[IMG]

Large end backward

[IMG]
  7. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I finally popped for set of Wolfman's Monarch Pass soft panniers. I mounted them using the SW-Motech racks I had.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. Asmith02 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    EX Kawa Versys, EX Triumph Speed Tri
    Figured I would weigh in with my new bags. First off when I got this bike I wanted to keep weight down as low as possible because it's already 400 pounds. In the past I have always gone with hard bags because I like how I can beat the shit out of them and they just keep going. Its nice to able to lock them and they add an extra layer of protection for the bike. But in the interest of keep weight down I did some looking.

Enter the Altrider Hemisphere saddlebag system. I can not say how happy I am that I found them. The first thing I liked about them was that they need no rack system. Huge weight saver right there. Second bonus was the holster system. In my mind this is genius, the holster system is what straps down to your bike and carries the horseshoe shaped dry bag. The holster system seems to be very rugged while I am not a fan of being a riding poster board the Altrider logo is highly reflective which is great at night. I like the fact that this system is what takes the brunt of any contact with any ground/tree/etc. If it rips its not a big deal because I can just patch it up and the dry bag stays safe. Also on the road or camping it take me all of about 30 secs to take the dry bag out of the holsters and then I am free to ride without the weight and my stuff stays safe locked in my room. The holster system never comes off my bike, I go grocery shopping with it, pack cloths in if for after work, pick up 2 months worth of dog food. It is really awesome.

As for the dry bag. Pretty standard dry bag, in the shape of a horse shoe. The seams look great and well sealed it is about 45 liters which is enough for me. Really not much to report on here works well and does its job. I do have much concern with it breaking. The top has some velcro in addition the normal buckles which helps to keep it closed up tight.

I stuffed all my normal stuff in there and I had room to spare. On my test ride the weight felt good. I had packed heavy items down low. The holster systems also has two outside pockets which are great for my tool kit and water bottles or fuel bottles if you rather, really anything you want to have quick access too. Everything tightens down really snug and with the cam-lock buckles. The top straps have plenty of extra to strap down other items with great ease. In my case my tent.

It also comes with a stuff sack for your sleeping bag or whatever, I already had one so I use it for my clothes which is nice.

Another nice thing is that because of the way it sits on the bike you still have the whole rear rack if you want to put something else back there.

The two gripes I have with the system are pretty minor really. It would be great if the holster system was a little bigger so that when I have a stuff dry sack it makes it easier too get the bag in. Also the buckles on the inside of the holster system which connect to the dry bag are kinda a pain to grab and connect with the bags full maybe if they where moved up an inch or 2 that would be perfect.

Now for the fun part the pictures.

First off all this is what I can get in it with some room to spare. This is everything I would need for a week long trip assuming I would be able to restock on food every day or so. Sorry its a little dark.
    [IMG]

The rest are just view of it out on the trails.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  9. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just be sure to change out the wimpy rubber bumpers under the exhaust heat shields. Those bumpers fall out extremely easily, causing the shields to melt against the exhaust when there's pressure on them.
  10. Asmith02 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Yeah I was looking at those, but really the system puts (surprisingly) little pressure on the shield. I may have it mounted a little farther forward then I am suppose to but seems to be working. Good knowledge to have though.
  11. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interesting to note that you don not seem to be using the OEM Rack at all ??
  12. Xtyling Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kymco
    I believe the plastic stock OEM rack has been proven to be unreliable by some owners who ride hard or rugged trails. A lesson they were not to happy to learn. Finding out their luggage fell off a distance away and the headache of trying to figure a way to reload it securely.
  13. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hence having my OEM Rack supported by an addition to the pannier racks I had made up.
    mini-DSC_0166.JPG
  14. Asmith02 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Yeah I am not using it for anything remotely heavy until I decide how I want to reinforce it or break down and buy a new rack deal. But the system does leave a lot of open space which is nice.
  15. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Bullet w/ Cozy Sidecar
    Here are the Adventure Spec Magadan Panniers MK2 mounted on Touratech racks and I can't say enough good things about them. I honestly don't think I'll ever use another pannier in my life unless something else comes out of left field, these things are that great. Here they are all packed up for a 2 week business trip and I have plenty of room to spare, didn't even have to use a top bag. They have internal dry bags that you can take out and I'll vouch for their water proofness after some severe thunder storms. This setup I've got with the Strada on a tkc80 front/k60 rear and these panniers really make this into a mind blowing adventure bike, I just love this setup for travel and fun. You can read about the panniers here if you're unfamiliar http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/adventure-spec-magadan-panniers-mk2-1.html

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG
  16. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
  17. Potomac Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Bullet w/ Cozy Sidecar
    I don't know, I bought them off that website from the U.S. and got them in less than a week I believe.
  18. Eric-the-Strada Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 DL1000
    I've got a set of the BR MOTO side racks that I may be looking to sell soon. I am going to run the Givi racks and hard bags a bit to see if I like them. The BR MOTOs are awesome racks, I just don't think I need the beefiness they offer, and I like hard bags on occasion.
  19. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    I have had the Mosko Moto BC 35 mounted on my BR moto racks for a couple of years now, water proof, rugged, easy on and off. Very good compromise between hard and soft cases.[IMG]
    www.moskomoto.com
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  20. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    For Aussies for info....

Barrett pannier racks are compatible with the Nomadic rear rack and that means I think also with the factory rack. You just have to play around with the rear mount spacers.

BTW the Nomadic rack is first class kit. Uses the four factory mounts.
    Johnn likes this.