TE630 engine removal and rebuild

Discussion in '610/630' started by bushwa, May 13, 2015.

1. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Yea, no biggy about the breather. The gaskets between the head pipes and the head. Couldn't find the old ones either.
  2. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    XlEnduroman, sorry to hear that. I'm a little bummed on mine too but I'm going to give it another chance. Love the bike when it's running. Does everything I need. Very well.
  3. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    [IMG]
    Just needs oil, coolant, and the tank. Getting close! Now I can't wait til spring. I do have this to hold me over thankfully.
    [IMG]
  4. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Well hype train just left the station! I don't remember the old 610 having the exhaust gasket, so i think it's one of those 630 "new" parts. In any case, good job and keep us posted!
  5. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Cranked the engine over tonight. Turned free, no strange noises. Left the fuel disconnected. Wanted to see if it would build oil pressure, then realized it doesn't have an oil pressure light lol. Daughters 4th birthday on Saturday, so I won't get a chance to actually start it until Sunday. Nervous.
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    When I had mine out and torn down I didn't fully fire it up until I was 100% certain that I had good oil circulation (you know- when you put the right side engine cover back on you want to be 100% certain you've aligned the tab of the oil pump w/ the key slot it fits into, in the engine.) So anyway I loosened the upper banjo bolt of the line that supplies the head/cams, then put it in high gear,and then hand turned the wheel many times until I saw oil coming out of that upper connection.

And don't forget- prior to a real start up- to hook it up to iBeat and re-set the TPS. I don't know how crucial that really is, but I wanted to go by the book (and probably wouldn't have cared much about doing so, but I'd given the TB a good cleaning when I had it off so thought it best to go ahead and do so.)
  7. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Good tip on the oil line trick. I'll pull the plug and do just that. Don't have ibeat, and didn't do anything with the TB other than pull it off the head and put it back on. Hope it's ok
  8. cjoecruz003 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SMR510
    Good stuff on the rebuild! Reminds me of when I fully rebuilt my 510 and threw in a 530 BB kit while I was at it. I used to have a SM610 and these 630's look like the 610 bottom end with the 450/510 top end. Never really noticed until I read through this thread
  9. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Yup, that's how I understand the 630 engine came to be, bottom end of the 610 with the dohc setup off the 150/510.

I have the bike completely assembled, cleaned, filled with oil, coolant, gas in tank, and air in the tires.
    Confirmed oil flow to the top end last night by following EricV's suggestion too.

I'm afraid to start it. Or, more accurately, I'm afraid to start it and discover I've f'd something up.
  10. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    Sometimes you just gotta close your eyes and push the button.

I'll bet you did just fine and she runs.
  11. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Ditto what Thumperama said. I applaud what you've done- I had a mechanic handle the complex stuff so good for you. I gotta admit once I re-fitted the engine and went through all the rest I was apprehensive also, but as Thumperama said you've just gotta take a deep breath and hit the button (and don't be timid...give it a proper crank and expect some smoke, and not perfect running the first few seconds.)

I'll tell you what, though....because I was so apprehensive here's what I did: 1.) I re-reviewed and went over ALL of what I learned to be the have-to-do's, double checks, etc. 2.) although I had a trusted mechanic transfer all of my internals into my needed new engine casing I thought "hmmm, what if something does go wrong...I guess I want a video/audio of this initial start up"- in the event that I had to show him what transpired, either for troubleshooting or for "warranty" work to rectify, 3.) and as it pertains to you, it wouldn't hurt to have the video/audio to bounce off of us if you do hear anything weird.

You've hand turned the engine and have probably quadruple checked everything you can. I think if you had something to worry about you'd have heard it in the turn-overs. Keep us posted!
    Thumperama likes this.
  12. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Might get a chance tomorrow night, if not on the weekend for sure. It's not my first engine work, I had the jugs off the Hawk and installed a 700 piston kit and new cams. Didn't split the cases tho. It is however, still running, and quite good at that considering a it's almost 30 years old. Might as well take this opportunity to show it off. [IMG]
  13. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt

View: https://youtu.be/oy9lNhUddbo

What you all think? Sounds better than it did before the rebuild. Still a little noisy a idle, but I think that's just the nature of the beast. No oil came spewing out, not coolant pouring out. Happy.
    Come on spring!
    Xcuvator, Theo and Thumperama like this.
  14. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    What is the idle speed right now? Because it sounds a little bit low. Raise the idle to 1700-ish and it might get quieter.
  15. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I agree, it's a little low. It was cold out too. I have to reset the idle, and do some tuning with the JD tuner, as judging by the state of the piston top and combustion chamber, I'm fairly confident it's running too rich. The carbon build up in the chamber and piston may have resulted in detonation and contributed to my early rod bearing failure.
  16. cjoecruz003 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SMR510
    Sounds like a husky to me. Noisy chatter like head of the 450/510. Hopefully you have a good amount of oil and spark plugs to break it in. Good job on the rebuild!
  17. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Sounds good to me! 610/630 engine blocks have never been particularly silent, and those noises in the video sound like normal to me. Hell of a job bushwa!
  18. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    Hi bushwa,really exited for you and glad you've got it back together and running.
    I started my 07 610 rebuild the same time as you and hadn't checked your thread since Xmas. I got mine back together on the weekend just gone and was extremely worried just like you were. It started, ran a bit rough the first time but adjusted the idle and was fine after that.
    I took it for a test ride down my street to make sure it would work under load. Nice and easy 1st then 2nd all good, then 3rd and all of a sudden locked rear wheel and stalled engine. On trying to restart the starter motor was only making a clunk sound. After a sleepless night I took the bike to a mate we popped the left cover off and couldn't turn the fly wheel. Then popped the clutch cover off and we'll let me just say DOH. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I forgot to bend the lock washer on the right hand crank nut and it unwound and jammed against the back of the oil pump. I haven't undone the nut yet as its jammed on the thread and we didn't have an inch and a half rattle gun socket. So I've parked the bike for the moment so I can get my DR ready for a trip to speed week. I'll get onto it next month.
    I hope your first test run goes well and I haven't scared you too much. If your worried check your photos you took before you put your covers on. Cheers PHIL
  19. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    I'm sorry for you, Philmeup.
    At least, since you've shared your experience, it will be useful to us.
    Anyhow, the socket required, at least here in Italy, is a 38 mm; I guess it's the same in the US. A 1.5 in should fit decently, too, I think.
    Does the crankshaft spin free now that you've removed the cover?
  20. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Oh damn. That sucks. Now, I didn't take pictures befor I got the covers on. Or at least I don't think I did. Think I may pull the covers to check. I may have forgot the washer on the drain plug as well.