TE630 engine removal and rebuild

Discussion in '610/630' started by bushwa, May 13, 2015.

1. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

try the hydraulic method, use grease
    it's how you pull a blind item
  2. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Tried it but it's not a sealed bearing. The grease, dough, bread, wax, just extrudes between the balls.
  3. blueknob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 harley davidson superglide
    Maybe you could try a little j-b weld in the bearing, to seal it, and then try the grease trick.
  4. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    At that progress I'd have already had the dremel out and cut the bearing apart.
  5. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Why on earth Husqvarna decided to close the hole that was there on the 610s (which was super handy to rotate the crank without having to remove the stator cover) andn put a bearing that is a bitch to remove/replace. As much as I think that the 630 was a worthy successor of the 610, some design choices leave me absolutely baffled.
    keep us posted bushwa, I'm thrilled to see more of the process.
    Xcuvator likes this.
  6. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    [IMG]
    Merry Christmas to me. Finally got that bastard out. Busy week ahead, but then I'm off for 2. Should be plenty to get this last bit buttoned up and the engine back in
  7. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    Nice kit there.

You'll never get angry at a bearing again.
  8. warmbakkertje Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200 RT
    For others that have had the same problem. Light a candle and drip the wax into the outher ring first. A lot. Let it harden, then fill up the axle hole and hammer it down. I have seen this working many times.
  9. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Oil tight! At least I hope it will be.
    [IMG]
    EricV likes this.
  10. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Would anyone happen to have a good photo or description of where the stator wiring is supposed to be run? It's been so long since I took this out, I don't remember which way it went lol.
  11. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Someone asked about the engine weight. 94.4 lbs according to my bathroom scales. No fluids. No throttle body, as it sits in the photo above.
  12. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

That makes sense to me. When I had mine out I recall it being right at about 90 lbs., but didn't want to quote that figure here as my bathroom scale is old and I don't trust it's accuracy.
  13. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    Wow, 94.4 lbs... The Husaberg motor is only 60-65 lbs or so... and puts out about the same power, but it blows up constantly Haha.
    Guns N Husqys likes this.
  14. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Yea, she's not a lightweight, needed a second set of hands to get it safely back in the frame, but it's in! Now to hook everything back up and see if it fires. Didn't get as much done over the holidays as I had hoped, new Xbox One took up more of my free time than I care to admit.
  15. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    This project should be coming to an end soon. Engine is in, cooling system is tight, electrical connected, all that remains is to install the airbox and put the tank back on. Reminder to self, don't forget to add coolant and oil. If all goes well, should be firing it up tonight. Wish me luck.
    Theo likes this.
  16. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    Eventually! Well, I also removed and disassembled the engine some years ago, although the mechanic disassembled and reassembled the bottom end; I just took care of the top. I took it easy and it took months to do the job: I spent just some hours in the garage every week and triple checked everything. It was Winter and I have an SM, so it was not a problem.
    I liked the experience.
    Good luck!
    And don't forget oil and coolant! :D
  17. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    No fire tonight :-( Exhaust gaskets the shop sold me are like an inch long and don't fit. Also need to pick up a replacement longer hose for the breather hose that goes from the valve cover to the air box. Somehow, mine shrunk an inch or more and don't reach anymore. Weird.
  18. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    The breather hose should not be relevant to engine functioning. You can safely leave it puffing in the atmosphere if you just want to fire up the engine (it's actually better to redirect the tubes so the oil vapors dont get into the intake but that's off topic). Also, what do you mean by exhaust gaskets?
  19. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Looks like an error in the parts manual. Section 24 for the exhaust, item 10 and 30 have the same part number. I received item 30, need item 10. Dealer is looking into it, but they have the same parts manual with the same numbers. Don't figure it out soon, I'll just reuse the old ones. Anyone happen to know the actual number for item 10?
  20. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Bushwa, I wish you the best of luck getting the bike fired up and back on the road. :cheers:

I have been both sad and mad for a month or so now as my TE 630 with only 11,000 miles on it shit the bed and is making sounds like your did in your vid at the start of this thread. The stupid self destructing, tissue thin clutch cup washers make me so mad. :banghead: My money is that they were the cause in my case as I found debris during an oil change and replaced the heavily worn cup washers. I didn't find the debris during oil change after the Indy washer install. But it appears the damage was done.

The only up side to this is there is a local guy that I trust that can do the heavy lifting for me. I plan to take the motor down to it's center cases and have him split it and pull the old bearings and rebuild the crank, and have him reassemble the bottom end and button it up for me. I imagine he can even pull the cam bearings and press on new ones, all in alignment. Your tread is a big help. I can not forget about that pesky crank bearing behind the stator. I will need him to do that one to. The down side to this is that this isn't the only thing to hit the fan recently, so the rebuild may not get done for awhile. After that I may put it on the chopping block for a 701 or Africa Twin. This has left a really bad taste in my mouth.