TE630 engine removal and rebuild

Discussion in '610/630' started by bushwa, May 13, 2015.

1. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    Thanks Theo, I'll get a micrometer on it to make sure of the size.
    As for anyone else doing a full rebuild all I can say is take lots of photos before and after. And triple check everything.
    If you can get a mate to check over your work especially critical stuff like lock washers and seals even better.

Bushwa, I didn't want to freak you out. Dig into your memory of doing up your lock washers. There is 4 that I can think of, the one on the right side of the crank, on the clutch nut and either side of the Balance shaft. I got distracted with these ones because when I torqued them up I couldn't spin it. It would only move freely when done up finger tight. Also those lock washer were difficult to bend over.
    The manual neglects to talk about the lock washer and torque setting of the right hand crank nut.

image.png
    It does show a picture of it though
    I had been using a system of blue tape stuck to things I was unsure about or hadn't finished yet. For the most it worked, but as I discovered it only takes once to overlook something crucial and all your hard work is undone in an instant.
    If not too much trouble to take your clutch cover off to check Bushwa, and the gaskets are very good and you can reuse at least once. The magneto cover is a pain in the ass though. Two piece requiring the fly wheel to be removed to get both off.
    Good luck Bushwa. I have faith you did it up. You were a lot more thorough than I was. Cheers PHIL
  2. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I remember doing some lock washers. Going to pull the clutch side cover tonight just to verify. Funny you mention that it wouldn't spin freely when torqueing up the balance shaft. Mine did the same thing first time I did it up. Odd.
  3. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    Maybe it needs a shim. It didn't have one and the manual doesn't say either but 5.2 ft/lb isn't much. Just a nip past finger tight.
  4. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Ones on my clutch side are locked. Took time to measure up the screen on that side too. A while back I had mentioned pricing a sturdier replacement.
  5. Philmeup Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2006 Suzuki DR650
    That's good news. A little extra stuffing around but well worth the inspection and cheap insurance. Now zip it back up and go for a gentle test ride around the block. We're all excited to see how it goes.
  6. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Test ride done, the SO suggested I take little ride for Vday. :-) Feels good, sounds good, rod knock sound is gone. No apparent leaks (except for a fork seal). Leaned out settings in the JD tuner too, feels good with no surge and no stumble on the on/off throttle transitions. Even wired my heated grips into the little driving light so they're now switched. Happy.
    EricV, Thumperama and Philmeup like this.
  7. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Congrats on the rebuild! More than a little envious that you even got out for a test ride. Must feel good getting it done.
  8. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    The freewheel on the back side of the flywheel, how have these looked to those have done the work? Has anyone replaced them?

I ask because I have heard they can fail and cause engine noise. Anyway...I have a OEM Husky flywheel puller on the way to inspect mine. Just trying/hoping to get off easy and not do the full monty.
  9. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Very good thread and work bud. I have always thought a motorcycle engine would be easy and cheap to rebuild but after doing my cam chain job I am not so sure. I must have spent about £250 (roughly $340) on the parts when you factor in special tools, gaskets, sealants, things that break along the way, etc.

I can't help but think rebuilding the whole engine would be that x10. I know you get a recon'ed engine for the price but I would be tempted just to buy a low mileage second hand engine and swap it out with that. A lot less work, but I get that you won't know it's history.

Anyway, great work and thread, very interesting and insightful, thanks:thumbsup:
  10. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I inspected mine without disassembling. It turned smooth and tight with no slop so I didn't go any further.
  11. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Mines actually pretty noisy. Got to pull the sidecover one day and check it out.
  12. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Great job bushwa!
  13. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hmm, just gotta query this.

I tried cranking my 610 on the starter in ten second bursts to see if the oil would pump but it didn't. Since then I left the banjo bolt loose with the engine running just to make sure and it was definitely pumping oil with the motor running but not when cranking on the starter. I just figured that it doesn't turn quickly enough on the starter to build up pressure, but if you are turning it quickly enough for oil to pump by hand then...:thinking:
  14. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    It's a positive displacement type pump, although tiny. I was able to turn the rear wheel with the engine in 6th gear (plug removed so it was easier) and observed oil flowing from the loose banjo at the top of the oil line. It did take a few minutes of turning. Mine had a fresh oil pump installed.
  15. Moto7man Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas
    You can put closed end of a 13mm on the nut, then put a 1/2 inch torque wrench into the open end of 13mm wrench,viola the nut will come right off and if you have the torque wrench at a perfect right angle to the 13 mm wrench, you don't need to adjust the torque values on reassembly.
  16. Guns N Husqys Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F

I do believe oil is the everything. I change mine every 800 miles (Lucas motorcycle oil 10w 50) with new oil filter and I clean the screen filter on the left side every time. The screen filter on the right side I check once a year because you have to take the clutch cover off. Even with that frequent oil change I still get a little tiny shiny small baby metal in the old oil, I guess that's normal because of all the gears that oil lubricates and the clutch which is a friction material. My 630 still runs like a champ and has 6000 miles on it. I do warm it up every time for a minute or two and go easy until it gts nice and warm and then.... Braaaaaaaaaaaaa :D Hope this helps even tho this thread is a while ago.

Attached Files: