TE630 engine removal and rebuild

Discussion in '610/630' started by bushwa, May 13, 2015.

1. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    I didn't think there was a bearing on the end of the crank in the middle of the stator.
  2. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Hmm. Apparently the 630 is different. Here's mine.
    [IMG]
    I've removed the stator since this pic was taken, but there is a bearing in there.
  3. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thats interesting. That bearing doesn't appear anywhere in the parts diagrams as far as I can see.
  4. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Now I'm curious, I'm going to pull my alternator cover and have a look.
  5. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yep, the 630's have a bearing to support the end of the crankshaft. Part No. 8000 02124. Doesn't help you to get it out though!

I would try heating the cover in the oven to 150-200C and spray some Loctite Freeze and Release on the bearing. It may shrink it enough to drop out.
  6. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I've had success in similar situations with an appropriate sized concrete anchor.

[IMG]
    Xcuvator and Theo like this.
  7. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I tried the heat and freeze method, not with the Loctite stuff tho. Might give the concrete anchor a try before dropping $80 on the tools.
    Thanks Guys.
  8. Borgschulze Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Yamaha WR450
    Fill the centre with bread, and hammer a bolt into it.
  9. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Tried the anchor, no go. 3/8ths is a little too loose to get a bite, and 1/2" won't fit. Going to give one more try with a 1/2" that I make fit. Bread didn't work. Actually tried playdough first, but it just extruded out of the bearing. Bread did the same, although with more resistance. Sigh.
  10. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Damn it. Filed down a 1/2" anchor and got it seated well and it took a few good hard blows before the anchor popped out, bearing still stuck. Here's a photo of the playdough/ bread attempt.
    [IMG]
  11. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'd try the 1/2 inch anchor again after heating the cover. Then I'd get the shits, and probably destroy the cover to get the bearing out!
  12. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Got it hot. Hit it hard. No luck. Still slipped out. Off to Amazon to buy more tools. At least I get a new tool :-)
    [IMG]
    I used a large crescent wrench under the washer, and blocked the case on the leg of the bench and my foot, and wailed on the wrench to try and pull the bearing out, but the anchor just didn't have enough bite on the id of the bearing.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  13. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thats just ridiculous!
  14. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Look closely at post #2 of this thread- posted by markjenn. I had an older LC4 KTM and this bearing was prone to failure, and removal very difficult. If you look very closely at his pics (especially further down in his post) you'll get the idea- it's all about the "puller hooks." Perhaps a mini version of this using well hardened materials will do the trick.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/lc4-roller-bearing-upgrade-how-to.73558/

Looks like a small crack in the casing at around the 6:30 mark in the first pic...you know- the pic of the weird baking experiment. That's my ignorance though- not sure what the bread is supposed to be doing to help.

Good luck man. We're rooting for you.
  15. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Yea, no replacement for the proper tools when the going gets tough. Worth trying the cheap/free tricks when the tools are 100 bucks + tho. That's a small crack, but it's not through and doesn't leak. Result of the shifter impacting the out side of the cover during a spill.
  16. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    If it was my bike, I would drill two 1/8 inch holes in the cover, corresponding with the outer bearing race, and knock the bearing out with a thin punch. Then plug the holes somehow. Thats me though, and I am a tightarse!
  17. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I agree. Now- just in case there was confusion- post #1 of that thread shows the proper/expensive tool and post #2 shows the home fabbed version. Thinking some form of that might be of help.
  18. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    if the bearing is sealed fill behind it with grease, get a reasonably close fit shaft and put it in till it feels snug, then hit it
    this is the method to remove clutch throwout bearings
    iy acts in a hydraulic method
    make sure the case is well supported before hitting
  19. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    So how have matters progressed. I have been a silent snoop so far but am enthralled and want to go the whole 9 yards so kindly kill the suspense. What has happened with the stator bearing
  20. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Tried all the cheap tricks to get that bearing out without luck. Purchased a blind/pilot bearing puller complete with slide hammer and a little heat added, still no luck, it's fn stuck. Wife had surgery, so I've been 2 weeks tending to her and the kids, and I'm traveling this weekend, so I likely won't get back to it for a week or so. Going to try baking it, cooling the bearing, and the new tool together. If that doesn't work, I'm sending it off to my buddies to weld a 1/2" threaded rod in the middle and I'll pull it out that way.