Te 630 Sub-frame Mod

Discussion in '610/630' started by capt42104, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

That product on seat concepts site is garbage in comparison to the two you (CJ) made for me.

Anyone purchasing those is just wasting their money and going down the road of serious surprises.
  2. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Has anyone tried the Seat Concepts mod?

I bought one because it was cheap and, time being of the essence, I thought I'd have it on hand in case the bike shop felt it may work. However, after showing them the Café Husky fix we much preferred it, so the frame is currently at the welders. I'll hopefully get it back this weekend.
  3. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I can't be positive, but I don't think this is Seat Concept's own mod.I think they just retail it. Their seats however are awesome. I bought one of these kits from someone else and installed it as a stop gap measure. Not highly recommended
  4. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Seat Concepts on my 630 and it is great. Had a two week trip last year and comfortable all the way; just my two bits.
  5. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Ken - they're talking subframe plates, not the seats. I have one of Lendon's seats as well and yes, they are terrific. But somebody copied my plates and are selling them, Seat Concepts lists them on their site.
  6. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Rip Off! There is always one out there.
  7. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    :( Damn didn't know someone had ripped off your design. I just saw it and thought it looked similar for those who don't have ready access to a welding shop or anything. Ah well.
  8. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    You are correct, just similar not a copy. Inferior copy though as not as strong from the shorter length and attachment points. But then again it's not like any sales or royalties are being lost to CJ so no harm. Actually a very good price considering the complete package.

_
  9. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I picked up my TE this year, and after reading about all the sub frame issues, installed a kit just like that from an eBay seller. I have my doubts about it's overall effectiveness, as the lower point is the rubber mounted exhaust mount. That said, it's something, and I just finished a 3500+ km trip with a 5l gas can on the rear rack, and camping gear on the seat. Mix of highway, gravel roads, logging roads, and quad tracks. It was a solo trip, so it was pretty much flat out, or as fast as I was capable of. Nothing broke, yet. (Knocks on wood)
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

dirt road ride or real offroad ride?
  11. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    It was a mix, mostly street, but had about 400 km of gravel roads included, some smooth, some not, some not more than an overgrown goat path. But yea, mostly street. Just finished another 5000km loaded with fuel and camp gear back there. All street tho.
  12. Timberline Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Is there any reason the gussets couldn't be put in place w/ JB Weld and clamped until set instead of "real" welding?
  13. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Not strong enough. Weld or bolt plates - either works fine.
  14. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    johns-bikes likes this.
  15. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    My bike came with the commercial version of the braces (not installed. The previous owner just gave them to me)
    I can attest they won't do much difference. They are just too short.
    CJBROWN's design on the other hand, 4 days of riding with all that stuff on the back and no issue.

[IMG]

The hardest part was the install, specifically the slicing of the mud guard.

[IMG]
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  16. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Ha, yep, that was the tricky part - a lot of trial fitting. And you need to drill access holes in it to get to the saddle bracket bolts on the front downtubes.

I haven't heard much from anyone on re-mounting passenger footpegs. One of the members here sent me his saddle clamps as he never intended to put passenger pegs back on. I've always wanted passenger pegs on the off chance that I would need to rescue another rider and ride them out. Once you re-purpose those little saddle clamps for the braces you need an additional pair for the pegs if you want to put them back on.
  17. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I ordered an extra set of the clamps and never took my footpegs off. CJ's brackets have held things together for me for 8700 miles now. Thanks again for sharing!

Last weekend in the Tennessee mountains
    [IMG]

motranqui and CJBROWN like this.
  18. radmann10 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM LC4, KTM 990 Adventure
    Hey CJ,

I'm reaching out since I am stuck in MX with a 630 that stalls! I made one of your sub frame mods and loaded the 630 up and my KTM 990 adventure and headed to MX with my son as soon as his classes finished. We road over 600 miles then the bike started stalling and then restarting ASAP to not firing until 15-20 minutes. First thought was Pemex fuel purchased octaine(sp) booster which did not appear to make any difference. Now we are 1350 miles at the tip of Baja and need to find a coil of some sort that might work to get us home for Christmas. Any ideas would be appreciated!

PS the subframe mod works great if only the moto would run! No dlrs found on the web in Baja, MX
  19. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    No prob - I'm 'browneye' on ADVrider.com. :D

Give us some feedback on where you're at with it and we'll go to work to get you what you need.
    Send you my email address and cell phone number. We can start a rescue thread in west regionals over there, find out who's going down and when.
  20. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Hi

Thanks a lot for the advice, CJBrown. It's amazing how your idea has spread all the whole world

I want to carry out this mod in the next days as I don't want to take the risk to break the sub-frame.

Split hairs, do you think that the reinforcement brace could be shorten in the way I suggest, emulating the way the sub-frame is reinforced when it's welded? In my opinion, if the sub-frame breaks is going to be at "B" area. I don't think never is going to happen in "A" area, and so, the plate between C and D would not work to protect B area (I'm not sure, of course). Besides, between C and B we have the braces of the rack itself…

DSC04564.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

Only as an idea… :thinking: