Te 630 Sub-frame Mod

Discussion in '610/630' started by capt42104, Dec 22, 2011.

1. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Haha, nope. Decided I wasn't in a rush to be pulling this whole bike apart again anytime soon, so here's hoping!
  2. DirtyKid Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sm 610
    Can some one tell me whether or not the sub-frame on the TE-610 and the sub-frame on the TE-630 are the same? Or are they different?
  3. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Different and the 630 has improvements over the 610.
  4. DirtyKid Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sm 610
    Thanks.
  5. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Yeah, you only need the 3/16" T6061 if you're gonna bolt plates on. Either way works fine, you just have to do something if you're gonna haul any cargo on the back of these things.
  6. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    One small thing to add as I read some people delaying adding this reinforcement............Any force applied to the rear end which INCLUDING force to LIFT or reposition the bike (after a tip over or rocky/sandy/gnarly section maneuver to get the bike unstuck) including just strapping it down on the back of trailer or bed of the truck.........ALL these forces I GUARANTEE you WILL weaken the back end of a 630. It will break. Yes this mod takes time and a little money but better to get it done before your on a week long trip somewhere and it breaks to ruin your ridding time........just saying. :cheers:
    Fast1 likes this.
  7. badbowie Husqvarna
    AA Class

My take on the sub frame mod, while it was apart I also beefed up around the battery box area. I cut and shaped the plates and got an Alloy fabricator to weld them in.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

All finished
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  8. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Looks like it could break at any second, probably only due to a direct nuclear strike mind you.......
    Kenneth Webb and pinocono like this.
  9. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Broke mine for the second time yesterday. Open fire trails with lots of ruts, rocks & muddy potholes, blasting over them in 3rd gear type terrain. Wolfman peak tail bag on the rear Husky rack, carrying the usual tools, but not overly heavy.

Not sure how the bike shop & their preferred welder approached the first fix almost two years ago, but it obviously wasn't strong enough. Will give them a copy of this thread to follow, so thanks to all for the valuable input.
  10. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    That's not good news. I normally have a Wolfman peak tail bag on mine. Not noticed any cracks thus far and I have not reinforced mine yet. Probably playing with fire.....
  11. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Better take time to get it done! To add a comment, and just a personal opinion, no reinforcement above the top tube is needed. Just the gussets between the rear casting and the top tube and lower tube will get it done. Some in the triangle between upper and lower are extra insurance, but I didn't do it and have lots of rough miles with a full load with no problems.
  12. NorCalAthlete Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 630 SMS
    flyingfox likes this.
  13. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Yes, thanks, I ordered one of those a few days ago.
  14. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I installed one of those kits on my bike, can't say that I have any confidence in it. The mounting points are the exhaust mounts which are rubber. I would assume this would allow some flexing of the subframe still.
    Fast1 likes this.
  15. djc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    f800gs ktm200 r1200gsa
    broke mine again also & have modded the same as badbowie,it broke on the l.h.s hope this is end of it, dj
  16. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    djc, I would really like to see where the second break occurred. Did you get any photos?

On a second note, last night I went out onto the back patio to enjoy the evening air, and the odor of gas was in the air. I have two bikes parked out there under the canopy. Walking over I could see gasoline spreading under the 630. What the hell? Haven't ridden the bike for a while. Gas was steadily dribbling off the left bottom of the Safari tank. Turning off both shut-offs didn't make any difference. Since it was dark I just rolled the bike out into the yard and went to sleep. This morning the tank is almost completely empty, except that there is still some fuel on the left side, but none on the right. Leak must be on the right. I'll check the cross-over tube later, but can't imagine why it would just start leaking like that. We do have problems with packrats chewing on wiring and such, but that doesn't seem likely in this case. Oh goody, a mystery to solve!
  17. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    Sorry to hear this Ken. From what you stated hard to imagine what the problem might be. If you turned off both petcocks then the crossover line was removed from leak possibility. And then for it to leak more from both sides if you kept petcocks closed means not a single side leak. I based this from you saying some fuel was left on the left so assuming it is down some in volume also. For the right side to be completely empty while on the sidestand leaning left it would almost have to be the petcock seal or a crack that low in the tank (crossbrace ferrule insert?). Then maybe the gas leaked out and dribbled down the outside of crossover tube making it drip from the left side to the ground.

_
  18. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I think you are correct but I won't know until I get the tank off and check things out. Could be the cross-over worn thru, or a bad petcock. Unfortunately I won't have time to check it out until I get back from my upcoming ride. I'm taking the WRR so the 630 will have to languish for a while. I can't see it being a big problem though. Very strange that it would just start leaking while parked!
  19. djc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    f800gs ktm200 r1200gsa
    sorry man no photos but it was on the left side at the y section in hindsight the original gusset wasn,t large enough
  20. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Nick Taylor likes this.