Staintune Exhaust System

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Quirky, Jan 20, 2014.

1. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Quirky,

I'll see if I can attach several pics of the side racks. From the pics I found I doubt if there's an issue:

Attached Files:

Quirky likes this.
  2. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    I meant to add that I prefer Option #3 -- Thanks.
  3. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    #3 for me as well
  4. Biff Malibu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRE 500, 2003 Harley Deuce.
    I like option #3 or option #4 as long as it's an oval can.
    Cheers
  5. DerBrizon Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 Suzuki SV650S
    I'd like to chime in with a question for anyone who has already modified their exhaust.

There's some factors to preface my question: I like the original exhaust's look, and don't want to change it's appearance (maybe remove one, but otherwise, the cans looks nice). I also am a welder and want to simply core the exhaust cans out so they breath better (probably sound better, who knows.) So what will this do as far as how the bike runs?

I mean, I have the equipment to do the job sitting around, it's just a matter of time invested. I'm a cheap MF and would rather pay zero dollars. Will the bike run too lean or too rich because of this? The bike is already too lean in my opinion, so if it gets richer, I may be happy about it.

If anyone has some experience on how a TR650 runs with a more open exhaust, I'd appreciate it.
  6. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    I de-catted mine. No difference in sound at all. No difference in how the bike runs that I can determine. A few guys have pulled one can and welded up the right pipe with a plate. They too report (to date) no difference in the way the bike runs. Hope this helps.
    DerBrizon likes this.
  7. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Thanks Charlie for your feedback. Saved me the trouble of trying this myself. I wonder if they can be cut open to remove some packing or open up baffles?
  8. Steve Hards Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

I think you hit the nail RIGHT on the head !!

I de-catted mine also, no difference, and I suspect if I go to a single can there will be no difference.

I would guess the only reason for going to a single can is to save about 3-4Kgs, probably worth it, but a totally personal choice. I think that the guys at Husky did a GREAT job on a good engine and we won't improve too much on that without major $$.
  9. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Well for me.
    Wanted just a little more growl out of the Terre, instead of the sound resembling a CT110.
    Don't expect much or any performance benefits, it all goes well enough.
    Less weight is a bonus, but single side makes more room for a tool tube or such.
    I definately thought about chopping the oem cans for a bit of fun but not really game enough just in case we stuffed them up, also just in case I need to revert to an oem pipe in case I get a notice from the boys in blue and maintain the cat for future pollution requirements if need be.

Cheers,

Q
  10. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    I think DBrider09 took off his cans as a test (before getting a PCVAT) & reported the bike ran well. I think he may have cored them at some point too. FWIW he has a Terra & I believe those are different from the Strada, the Terra has a c-clip on the outlet side & may be easier to mod.

For any exhaust mod the TR won't run any leaner in the closed loop map b/c the lambda sensor will automatically adjust for it. If you have a lambda sensor you have "autotune" (for that portion of the map). Any open loop spoofer like the Eruption will likely keep the mixture rich enough to prevent stalls.

Anyway you can pull your cans to see how it runs, it's not a perfect test but a test none-the-less.

If you remove the baffle & go to a single can please make a post, I'd like to see that.:thumbsup:

Oh & for the Staintunes I'd have to say oval & reverse cap has the best chance of fitting the TR lines - that's what's on there now.
  11. Lewis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at the moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 Yam FZR600, 2018 Kaw Z900RS
    This is tempting. I installed some StainTune slip ons to a brand new 95 Ducati Monster. The sound was intoxicating and the quality shamed anything I had seen up to that point. Now I have to figure out how to find that kind of cash!
  12. Lewis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at the moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have a Strada and it looks like the dual stockers are somewhat oval. Would love dual slip ons and not have to change stock fueling.
  13. Lewis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at the moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    Number 3, dual slip ons as pictured on Dakar.
  14. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Tempting, yes and Staintunes on a Ducati. Very Nice!
    I had the Staintune pipes fitted to a TDM900 once and it was one of the nicest things you had ever heard. Had the Ducati mob doing double takes WTF was that a Yamaha? :D

Do you realise that the right side can on that Dakar is a "Dummy" can?
    IMO its a waste of $$'s but a "Dummy" is easy to manufacture and worth around $300.00 extra.
    If it was to be plumbed in all together then we are talking maybe $1300. If you really really want this and have a truck load of cash, maybe Staintune will custom build it for you while they have my bike? I really don't know, any other takers for this set up?

So given those options what are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Q
  15. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    I personally really dislike the dual cans on a single look. In fact on the Strada I would have preferred a low pipe and a single can. That would also allow the pannier frames to be fitted closer to the bike and they wouldn't drag so much wind.
    On the terra, if you have a dirt bike surely you want it as light as possible. The less weight you have to pick up out of the mud or sand the better. Also give you a side to do it that ISN'T hot. And we are talking noticeable weight.
    The ECU can only adjust so far from the tables. It IS possible to lean ( or richen...lol) it too far for it to adapt
  16. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    I forgot. The pipe shape inside the frame is very tight fit. With a pipe welded to the muffler you may not be able to get the system into the bike. I had to remove the wheel just to get the link pipe in. It had to be threaded in.
  17. Lewis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at the moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    I did not realize it was a dummy. I have seen a Two Brothers set up for a VFR 800 with a dummy can used for storage as it had a quickly removable cap. I would still be interested even if it ended up a single with or without a dummy. We never got the TRX Yamaha in the US, what a shame. There were many intriguing bikes that never made it here.
  18. Lewis Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none at the moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    I almost forgot, we did get the TDM, but not the TRX.
  19. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Yamaha has an unfortunate history of doing this. And usually with some truly excellent bikes. The new generation 660 Tenere is one of them. I think the TDM900 also never made it stateside, even though (despite its looks) it was a most capable and comfortable road bike with excellent mileage.
    I'm on my TRX on my avatar, in Kenny Roberts Jr. paint job. It still turns many heads on track days. It's still on the original exhausts though.
    RockinRod likes this.
  20. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    Quirky,
    I am a big fan of Staintune with my Sprint RS wearing a slip-on. What I find attractive about going to a single muffler is the dummy would make an ideal aux fuel tank thereby solving my only real beef with my Husky, the lack of range.
    Regards,
    M