Staintune Exhaust System

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Quirky, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Looking at donating my TR650 ride for "Staintune" to build a single sided exhaust system. The factory is a good 4hr ride/drive away from home for me and they require the bike for about a week. My bike is currently still getting suspension done, so thinking in around 4 weeks time, I want this pipe job done.
    So is anyone else interested? Please be specific if you want to be added to the list at the bottom of this post. Hoping for genuine potential buyers only. We need to gauge the level of interest and even design.

Looking at working with a new mid pipe and muffler welded together, so a one piece design (planned) and this leaves the OEM header in place. Any other thoughts?
    At this stage circa $700AUD then add p/handling.

Heat shield details need to be worked out with either OEM or Staintune Aluminium type when they get the bike. Depends on looks and pipe radius.

Here is a G650X fitted with a Staintune "Round" pipe with a reversed end cap.

[IMG]

Here is a F650GS DAKAR fitted with a staintune oval with spout end cap.

[IMG]
    Staintune website- http://staintune.com.au/

Adam at "staintune" is thinking at this stage of using their round exhaust, with either end cap.
    Personally I like the look of the "Oval with the spout end cap" like on the DAKAR (above).
    However engine harmonics might determine pipe shape more than aesthetics. At this stage either spout type or reversed pipe end cap will likely be an option when placing an order.
    If given the option and not sure if we do, what do you lot think?

1- Round Can with spout
    2- Round Can with reversed end cap
    3- Oval Can with spout
    4- Oval Can with reversed end cap

Interested list-
    Quirky = like #3 the most but what ever is going to work out the best. :D
    Hendo (ADVRider Aus.)
    nwrider1 = #3
    rww = #3
    Biff Malibu = #3 or #4 but oval only. :)
    AJM6000 = #3
    Riding Donkeys = #2 or either way with reversed end cap. :D
    tweber = #2
    lewis = #3 likes the option of a "dummy can" like the Dakar pictured.
    RUN-It = wait and see
    Slowflyer =
    Biff Malibu likes this.
  2. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Quirky,

The exchange rate is favorable now -- I'm interested. Thanks, John
    Quirky likes this.
  3. Greg Jetnikoff Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F80R
    I had a mid pipe made for me by Performance Exhausts in Brisbane and used a Tyga muffler ( there is a post somewhere here). Single exhaust is the way to go. Huge difference in weight. Just watch the flow as the Husky is lean to start with.
  4. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I would be interested in a single set up
    Quirky likes this.
  5. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Thanks Greg. When I get my bike back, I will be checking some lambda sensor voltages, then if all good, should be fitting a BM-Afxied unit which will fix that lean running and is adjustable.
  6. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Here is a link to the F650GS page. http://staintune.com.au/exhausts/bmw/BMW_F650GS.htm
    If our bikes are similar. However Adam at staintune was thinking of using the round sports muffler type like on the G650X (without seeing the job yet!)

F650GS Staintune system
    Weight Savings: By just using the single muffler there is a weight saving of 4.6 Kg's fitting the dummy reduces the saving to 2.8 Kg's

Noise Emissions:

Standard: 88dba @ 3250rpm
    Restrictors In: 88dba @ 3250rpm
    Restrictors Out: 91dba @ 3250rpm
  7. AJM6000 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley Davidson FLTRX & Ducati 749s
    I emailed Staintune last year and they said they weren't going down this path? Glad they've changed their mind. I've had their pipes and full systems on previous bikes and very happy with their product.

I like the 'spout' for what that's worth :) And want a heat shield, preferably use stock shield?

Also believe their design is usually one that doesn't lean out the fuel ratio, so shouldn't need a fuel management system such as PCV? Hope they can deliver?
  8. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Tuning in for this one. This seems much more reasonably priced than the GPR system.
    Scutler likes this.
  9. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Nice....i like the g650x (Reversed End Cap) look.
  10. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    As long as the muffler tucks in as closely as stock it shouldn't interfere with the side racks from BR Moto.
  11. Biff Malibu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRE 500, 2003 Harley Deuce.
    Thanks, I would be interested in a single side unit, preferably with reverse end cap.
    Cheers.
  12. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    AJM6000
    OEM heatshield I would like to keep also and might work, but the Staintune either round or oval pipes I think will have a tighter radius.
    As for that "email" that is because they need a donor bike for a week at the factory. Do you want to drop yours of at the factory for us? LOL
    It's around a 4 hour trip one way for me.

tweber
    The end piece for a spout or the reversed end cap may become optional. (Not sure yet) Internals and pipes are identical just depends which end cap they weld on.
    Do I put you on the list?
    It's just so I can get back to you and gauge genuine interest that I can take to "Staintune"

nwrider
    Should be good, pretty sure with smaller radius and all.
    Anyone got a good picture or two for me of the BR Moto rack and stock can?

rww
    Just for you. Whats it going to sound like? Best I've found was with our TR's close cousin a F650GS Dakar with DB killer fitted.
  13. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    That sounds nice and is quiet....and the guys in OZ speak a version on English I can figure out.....how could it get any better than that !

Thanks Q
  14. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    So Guys and Gals,
    As you can see, my first post is evolving.
    Please let me know your prefered option. Don't be shy, I'll bend but I like the look and idea of number 3. I am biased towards 3 only because thats the style on my other bikes.
    However Adam at "Staintune" referenced me to and was thinking the round on the G650X, without seeing the bike yet of course.
    Give me some info to work with hey!

Cheers,

Q
  15. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I like #3, but what are the dimensions of the round can and the oval can.

Thanks
  16. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    Oval pipe dimension on my GS is just under both 127mm x 95mm or 5" x 3.75"

Round pipe, I think somewhere between the 2? I'll find out! Answer is 100mm or 4"
  17. run-it Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 Guzzi V11
    What's the reason for preferring the AFxied over a PCV? How will it fix the leanness in the open loop map?
    drzcharlie likes this.
  18. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS

Lets see if it will fit on the TR first ey, and it needs saving for another thread and I dont know if I really need or want it! This shit makes my head hurt, I'll happily let the technical people smash their heads together on this, I'm totally over it! BM AFxied is out there and it's just possibly another option for us.
    Really looooooooong story. I am still using wukaking power contoller on all 3 bikes, not sure if I need them either (if you are keeping up with the adaption theory of late).
    I had a PCV on 2 of my R1200GS's even tried an Autotune for a short while. Decided to try the AFxied instead, it does an awesome job and won't go back to the PCV. The PCV system is great, but started thinking that this system doesn't change it's correction values with temprature, humidity or elevation changes as our fuel systems can do by themselves, and fuel maps adapt to run at the Lambda sensor target of say 14.7AFR. Values appear to adapt for the whole map, be it closed or open loop. So move the value of the Lambda sensor to make the ECU think it's running lean and viola we are on a winner. It works with the ECU to let it do it's job.
    So I also tried the Afxied on my wifes F700GS, holly cow, f!@#ing unbelievable and she loves the benefits.
    Afxied is cheaper, simpler, smaller, has less connections, hassle free, is adjustable with a screw driver and doesn't need to be tuned on a Dyno. No gripes at all with the PCV, I might end up with one. Trust me, on my BMW's the BM-Afxied just works!

Some light reading material.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901788
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749080

Sales might have more Info and if someone wants to try it before I get around to it. Just let me know if it's a good thing ok!
    http://sales.nightrider.com/af-xied.html
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/ztexsy.html

Copied and pasted instructions for me to follow regarding BM AFxied fitting to the TR. Still waiting on my bike otherwise it would be done already and SHE who must be obeyed wants the AFxied back in her bike ASAP, I should too because it's less than a 5 minute job.
    Hi Quirky,
    Someone else asked my the same question yesterday. I understand that the O2 sensor connector is the same, and same gender--female pins on the wiring loom. So measure the voltage on the White Wire pin 1 on the wiring harness side and make sure +12 is always there when the bike is running. Then measure the gray wire while and make sure it's less than 100 mV. If both voltages are correct it should work. Please try a few settings.
  19. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    I love the G650X pipes that are pictured. Either way, I think the reversed end cap is the way to go. The TR has a lot of modern styling bits, and the spouts just look a little dated.
    mario33 likes this.
  20. Quirky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200GS
    I'll add you to the first post. OK?
    It might just have to be round anyways. Thanks!