Rekluse Auto Clutch

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mag00, Aug 7, 2015.

1. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Now to find a spare clutch to send, rather than de-commission my TR for a month or so
    Anyone in the USA with a spare that I could purchase, EFM modify then dispatch to Australia? Paypal?
    PaulC likes this.
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I'm not sold on EFM, might be good, probably good. I just don't see how it could work better than the Rekluse, other than the longevity end of it. I am prepared to service the Rekluse at regular interval, so no issue there.

Reading on the EFM site about operation, I don't quite get how it engages and disengages etc. The fine details and quirks is what I mean with that. The Rekluse has absolutely no surprises to me. Work perfect. Reading on the EFM, sounds like it may have some quirks with engagement and shifting.

I would love to try one.

Engineerk9, you can pick up a clutch setup cheap from a G650 BMW and send it in. I may contact them next week and see if they modify the outer basket or what parts they actually modify. Pulling the outer basket and hub is easy enough if you have the tools.

But something not addressed by EFM at this time is the Judder spring.

Rekluse is aware of it, and we are working on a solution. The outer basket on our bikes, does not have the standard radial springs to absorb initial engagement shock that can cause chatter in a clutch. How does the EFM address that issue?

I'll stick with the Rekluse I guess. Just a way simpler and reliable product to install and adjust. The disks showed up and I need to install them. I am not anticipating any changes in function, just a better fit and possibly less wear long term.
    engineerk9 and TE250Guy like this.
  3. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Please reasssure your contact at Rekluse that there are many of us that would jump on the opportunity to have a readymade kit available for the Terra / Strada. I will buy one, as soon as I can put my hands on it!
  4. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I liked riding BMP's TR650 and I like the Rekluse clutches that I have had and still do but if they put the money out for the engineering, tooling and production for a clutch with such a small market I will be surprised to say the least.
    TE250Guy and Norman Foley like this.
  5. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Thanks Mr Mag00 - I like the Rekluse based on your input - if they'd be willing to sell to me (& possibly the other TR owners), we wouldn't need to even consider EFM

I "manned" the Andy Strapz stand for the Sydney Motorcycle Show, got to chatting with a number of TR owners who didn't know Cafehusky existed - they do now though

Pulling the clutch is no problem - it's the thought of having no bike for a month (it is summer here)
    TE250Guy likes this.
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I was looking around for a photo of the sidecover off to see how and if the shifter was accessible without splitting the halves and ran across this page http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwxcountry/RekluseClutch/index.htm. About putting a rekluse z in a g650.

Well, I just got done installing my new disks, and here is a photo of the tools used, minus one larger adjustable wrench to unload the pressure to remove cable. This is for the EXP install.

DSC08662.JPG

You do not see a torque wrench for personal reasons. You may wish to use one.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Also, spoke with Logan today, he said they are committed to the project. Most likely won't have final project until after the Holidays. They are working on other bike projects, but we are in the cue. This should be good news for the BMW guys as well.

I fed him observations, dimensions and opinions of my latest run and the results of the inspection of the parts after that run. He is going to design up some new disks and some changes to what I have been trying.

I put my bike back together and have changed out the springs in the EXP to see how that changes things up. I wanted more throttle before engagement so I put in the heavier springs. Should be fun. :D
  8. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Well done mag00
    TE250Guy and ozav8r like this.
  9. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Chiming in - WELL DONE INDEED!:applause::thumbsup:
  10. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Hi Mr Magoo

How's your mate Logan? I'm itching to fit a Rekluse as soon as possible - be a great Christmas present to me
    Would it help if I ordered one? Even paid for one?
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It will be interesting to see if it actually unfolds.
  12. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I took the Terra out for a spin today and just enjoyed some light driving on the country roads. A small bit of dirt. I had to remind myself to let the Rekluse work. I'm so use to pulling the clutch over the years. On the tighter turnarounds on sand/gravel road I took it was a dream. I'm going to switch the exp springs back to medium, I liked it better.

I sent off an email to Logan today, just to keep in touch. Maybe he'll send a progress report.
    TE250Guy and engineerk9 like this.
  13. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Hope so, getting quite excited about fitting it to my TR
    mag00 likes this.
  14. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    Bump for updates???
    TE250Guy likes this.
  15. TE250Guy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLR 650, Yamaha XT 225
    +1
  16. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    + 1
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Email sent to Rekluse,
    engineerk9 likes this.
  18. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I emailed Logan a few weeks ago, as yet no response
  19. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I called and he is just finishing up moving. Might hear back soon, he is now working out of the office instead of remotely from out of state.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  20. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Update: project is moving along and nearly finished. Logan asked to find a bike local to SW Idaho for a final fitment and test by him, so he can sign off on it before putting it to market. He needs a loaner bike. If you are willing to part with your bike for a short while, PM me your email and/or Ph# and I will forward it to him to contact you.
    turtlemoye and engineerk9 like this.