Rekluse Auto Clutch

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mag00, Aug 7, 2015.

1. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Interesting story. I ordered up a clutch kit for the BMW650 (fits TR650). It was scheduled to show up today, but look what showed up last night.

IMG_20150806_205208197.jpg

Biggest tarantula I have ever seen. Left the front door open and I get visitors. Scooped him up and sent him into the backyard.
    nycrider likes this.
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Then today coming home I find this on the front porch.

IMG_20150807_123305653.jpg

Any guesses at to what I'm doing this weekend?
    PaulC likes this.
  3. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
  4. tweber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Zippo
    Subscribed!
  5. nycrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, Suzuki DR650

You're sending it back because you've got a new found fear of spiders? :)
  6. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    Very interested how this turns out
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Me too :(

I went to install it and was assembling, but apparently they sent the wrong spline count plates. AARGH, so I double checked the BMW Sertao as I ordered it for, and they use the same clutch basket as the Terra. So if it fits the Sertao, it fits the Terra. Has to be a packing mistake.

36 ct spline vs 30 as they sent in kit.
    DSC08584.JPG DSC08588.JPG DSC08581.JPG DSC08582.JPG
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The clutch looked fine but I think I found the source of some excessive noise/rattling. I honestly don't see the rubbing from the clutch pack though, and there looks to be about an 1/8 clearance. But if the clutch plates were moving in the basket, the outer tangs could have done this. And that makes sense as to when the noise is when pulling the clutch or idling in nuetral with clutch out.

I will inspect it further...

DSC08585.JPG

But get this, if you look at where the dirt is settled, that is actually the top side, as the clutch shaft comes in from the top. What do you think that is all about?
    engineerk9 likes this.
  9. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Very interesting indeed! Don't give up on this - the tarantulas are just big wusses anyhow:D
  10. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I'm in communication with Logan @ Rekluse. They stopped development on the Terra clutch do to extended engineering needed to fix a clutch noise due to eliminating the judder spring for Rekluse installation.

They also have not done the Sertao, but were not fully aware of the similar setup these models share. Logan is going to see if he has any spare prototype discs and may send me a set if he has any.

If I machine a groove in the center hub I could retain the judder spring and eliminate the noise. I doubt I would do that as a bit more noise would not matter. I wear earplugs.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  11. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Took it out this morning for the clutch break in and adjustment. Yowsa, why the hell I didn't get this long ago, it is a must have. I only drove it for a few and did some slow turning work and just love love love this. Absolutely a dream. I am so glad I have my new adjustable levers as well, because of the cable tension needed to release the preload in the clutch to make the rekluse work. I can adjust down to get the lever closer to the bars.

In the break in, you have to start in second and roll on with no clutch, and the terra was busting it loose. Freaking awesome. The claims about the Rekluse on the good side are understated, and the downsides are only that there is constant tension on the clutch cable, but I have a remedy for that.

I have 50% humidity today and it feels like a wet sponge outside, and the Terra is running like crap compared to usual. Backpopping bad and a little roughness. This may adapt I hope on a little longer run, coming up here in a bit. Don't know how far I'll go today, hot and humid, but dang I'm excited about this.

I can put my 16 t back on and get better highway, and still have buttloads of bottom grunt. In first it is an animal. I can use all the torque and control it well just with the throttle.

I will be working with Logan to help fix the bugs for the next few weeks. He seems serious about getting this going for the Terra and Sertao guys now. If we can work out the judder spring issue, it may go back into production.

I'm going riding :D I'll take the gopro next time maybe :p
    engineerk9, TE250Guy, dmw_az and 2 others like this.
  12. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    It started running better after a few miles. Rekluse was uneventful on the highway, and in town. Everything works just as it did before. Still have good engine braking, but it will coast up to the stop once the RPM's are low enough, maybe 10 feet of coasting. Contrary to popular criticism of the Rekluse, there is NO learning curve. It just works, and if you want to use the rekluse, just quit pulling in the clutch. I accidentally forgot to downshift a couple of times, and the bike did not shudder or shake at all, overall, just seems to be a nice refinement for the street as well.

Because the Rekluse needs to have clutch cable tension, I am going to make up an adjustable stop and mount it on the crankcase, to let the Rekluse function without having cable tension. One thing nice about the Terra, is there is no accidental starting it in gear on the kickstand LOL. This product comes with more than its share of warnings about starting in gear. And wouldn't you know it, my dash is acting up now. I am going to go hunting for a loose ground or something. Also need to modify the broken selector button.

Weather permitting I may go for a good dirt ride this weekend.
    engineerk9 and PaulC like this.
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
  14. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    Well you tell your mate at REKLUSE that I'll definitely buy one for my Terra if it becomes available! Group-buy folks?
    TE250Guy, engineerk9 and mag00 like this.
  15. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    On the trail this thing is a beast now, better than I could have hoped for. :D
    engineerk9 likes this.
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I have changed the setup of the Rekluse and fired off some information to Logan. The 36 count prototype discs I received need some refinement in my opinion. I put the original configuration with the judder spring back in today. It seemed to work fine.

Next week, I am going to pull my clutch hub and replace it with the 30 count hub. The disks fit better, so there will be less slop. I will also know which BMW part will work for those who want this and if Rekluse does not go forward with it.

It looks like the 650 X clutch is not going to work, as it is deeper and might hit the cover. I won't know for sure until I pull it apart. I have two different config hubs from the BMW's

The hub on the left is from the Xchallenge, and the one on the right is from an early f650 single. The one on the right has the same thickness of clutch pack as our terra's.

DSC08608.JPG

To get the judder spring config working for todays project and test, I had to trim the tabs of one stock friction disk to fit within the hub clips needed for the Rekluse disks. The used disk below is from the early f650. I did not want to chop up my relatively new clutch disks, ($187 for the set, only in sets)
    DSC08605.JPG

You can see the metal spring clips/spacer in this picture
    DSC08629.JPG

I need to get back into the hills again to test this setup, dang life is tough LOL.
    engineerk9, V8Astro and TE250Guy like this.
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Just an update...

The above setup was not good, so when I pulled it all back apart I did some checking, and it turned out that 2 of the Rekluse friction togeter= 1 of the stock friction.

I put it together with the 2 Rekluse friction without a metal between, so I could use the stock judder spring setup. The dimensions came out good and fit nicely.

Test Drive: Amazing

No issues whatsoever. No noise, no slipping great engagement, great release on slowdown to crawl, just amazing to drive. I had it out for an extended ride and it did not miss a tick. The only thing I may try is adding the set of heavy springs into the EXP disk so that it engages at a little higer rpm. It was fine as is with the medium spring setup. I'm finding my technical skills to be vastly improving. Not having to worry about choking out or clutching and launching the bike has me comfortable in the tougher sections. So much so, that I am actually having tons of fun. I just love the power of the Terra, and the suspension is not that bad really.

I was getting air in spots just for fun, throwing roosters at 50+ mph, and doing trials type driving on knarly washed out switchbacks in the hills. Totally impressed and validated on my purchase of this bike, just took the Rekluse for me to fully appreciate the bike.

I got an email from Logan @ Rekluse, and he said he is sending me the new set of disks this week to try out. Looks like we are real close to having a final product.

I don't know if I mentioned the adaption and stalling on the first major run I took with the initial rekluse setup. When I got back into town on the 100 degree day after playing in the hills, the bike would not idle. It would hunt and die. I figured it was an adaption issue due to idling with slight drag of the rekluse, vs pulling the clutch and idling. So, when pulling the clutch it would search for idle then die, but if I did not pull the clutch and let the rekluse work, it was fine.

Well that all sorted itself out, and have not had that issue since. Nothing but smiles here :D

Addition edit: I need to clarify--The way mine is set up now (and as for sale), it is a straight bolt in setup, no fussing and trimming of anything. Remove clutch arm, pop the clutch side cover, pull six bolt with clutch springs, remove stock disks, install Rekluse disks and spacers, intall Pressure plate with 6 bolts and springs, put on cover then arm, thenadjust the clutch.
  18. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    Thanks for the update.
    Do you think that Rekluse will actually sell a clutch kit for the Terra in the future?
    engineerk9 likes this.
  19. ozav8r Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS, BMWK1200RS
    This is very exciting news Mag! I'll get a kit as soon as I can lay my hands on it!! Do yo?u have an eMail address for your contact at Rekluse?
    engineerk9 and TE250Guy like this.
  20. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Looks like it. I've been told not to get you guys hopes up, but it is really hard not to share the good news.
    engineerk9 likes this.