1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New look with the IMS Tank 2

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by HuskyDude, Sep 6, 2008.

1. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Glad your tank is working for you...
    as for you battery- looks like the offseason claimed it.
    if its not taking a charge and says 12.3 v- spread some marmalade on it cause its toast
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  2. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    If a 12 volt battery has 12.3 volts I would say it is good !? Under 12 V = bad ;)
  3. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Throw jumper cables on the bike and see if it starts. That will help determine if the battery is the issue.
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I don't want this IMS TANK thread to turn into a Battery thread but check out this link on Motorcycle batteries- which covers the topic... Basically, a 12 volt battery is not a "12-volt" battery and at 12.3 volts and fully charged but at rest indicates it is dead or dying... and I trust MMMC enough to know he charged and tested properly- He's not asking about the battery he's reporting a complaint about the battery (again... I know him that well) at least I didn't tell him where to buy this battery:popcorn:
  5. Riksha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just curious if the 4th tank is working out........ best of luck for success
  6. KC250 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE250
    Question for all..... I have an IMS tank on my te 250 that cracked. I fixed it yesterday with Permatex Plastic weld. Do you think it will hold?
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  8. KC250 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE250
    It didnt bond. After it cured overnight I was able to peel it rite off. I called IMS to see what my options are. Maybe they can repair it.
  9. MontyCarlo Husqvarna
    A Class

KC250- if IMS doesn't want to RMA your tank, you might try welding the plastic, i.e., with heat and polyethylene plastic welding rod, instead of a tube of goop from NAPA.
  10. mightslip Husqvarna
    AA Class

Attached Files:

11. rocky4by Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm running that tank, There were some fittment issues, but all is well now. I really do like it I have been out on a few rides and the weight seems nice and low.
    Steve.

Attached Files:

12. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

13. mightslip Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yeah I just saw your other thread ( didn't see it before sorry ) Both of these threads are packed with interesting thoughts. After reading I'm tempted to just stick with a AUX number plate gas tank or something. I have the ims desert tank on my 05 and it has never been a issue, Dam fuel injection is causing headaches!!
  14. cobb92 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just received my 4th IMS fuel tank today within one year. All the tanks had a fuel leak at the fuel pump connection. It is frustrating, but because I bought it from JustGasTanks, I have great customer support from them and also from IMS. The problem is that IMS fixed their Honda fuel tanks but not their Husky tanks. They sell twice the amount of Husky tanks compared to Honda. I don't get it. I was wondering if someone could help answer this question? My latest tank that I just received is supposed to be clear white. My new tank is a brownish peach color. IMS customer support said it will change back to white with a little sunlight. Is this true, or am I getting my leg pulled? He said the tanks have that color just after their made.:confused: He also said that they are adding more plastic to the fuel pump area and sanding it flatter for a better seal. I guess we will see.
  15. Arctra Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I got tired and frustrated with trying to find a glue/epoxy that would work on these plastics, so instead I just zip-tied the shrouds to the tank. Been on several rides now and they're holding up well. Sure, it's not the prettiest solution, but it works and still looks better than the plain black tank... (ps. bike is VERY dirty, but you can get the idea)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. M3mphis Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE 250
    I just put an IMS tank on my TE250 this week. I never thought about cleaning it first. Damn. I've already put a half tank through it.
  17. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Go back and read page one...:thumbsup:
  18. Arctra Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you, but I already did that. I live in Australia and could not find this "Goop" glue that was mentioned. I searched the hardware stores, hobby stores, etc here trying to find a PE epoxy without luck. I found a superglue that said it bonded epoxy, but it didn't give me enough time to fit and clamp the shrouds before setting. That's why I just went this zip-tie route.
  19. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    Hello....Are those problems solved ???
  20. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Please don't flame me for my success with this tank or hope my failure- just reporting my experience which has been flawless. Once something pisses people off they tend to stay negative- which scares the rest...

I just put on a IMS 3gallon on a 10TE510 this week- actually, the bike and the tank came from MMMotorcycle above because our other buddy bought his bike. On that bike- even the stock tank seems a little funny on assembly (bolt holes in Fuel pump plate)- But I was able to work on this bike's Fuel pump assembly once in the woods (stock) and once in my garage (installing IMS)-

I lined up the bolt holes correctly- if one is off a little- don't leave that one for last- do it 2nd. Then in a pattern slowly/lightly tighten the 6 bolts- don't tighten 1 bolt down then the next Just tturn each bolts 3 rotations each as you go through the pattern- you'll go through the pattern 2-4 times.
    like this:

when they seem like they are bottoming out- loosen them in with same pattern -1 turn.
    Then re-tighten them in the pattern- not too tight- just snug with a small t-handle- you want the O-ring to do its job- not deform at every bolt hole -which can lead to deforming the tank itself- yes if they put an aluminum backing plate molded into the tank this would possibly decrease the issue...

Always clean the o-ring and base every time you disassemble- dirt works its way up to the sealing edges of the o-ring while in use- then when unsealed- can work under the o-ring and upon assembly decrease your seal.

So I describe a fairly detail orientated assembly as though it is tentative- I think requires detail. This style seal/pump/ tank is sensitive. That's a big hole at the bottom of that tank with about 10 inches of sealing surface that can fail.The above procedure I believe increases your chances of short term and long term success with any tank with a fuel pump plate such as ours.

Though- reportedly satisfaction varies with this set up- I am on my 5th season with my IMS tank. I just installed one on my buddy's bike without issues and don't expect any. No disrespect meant towards MMMotorcyle at all- maybe this was "the one". But the reason, he didn't install it and it was new in plastic was probably cause he had no confidence in the tank.