1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New look with the IMS Tank 2

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by HuskyDude, Sep 6, 2008.

1. SierraHusky Husqvarna
    B Class

New Bonding Agent (Epoxy) for Polyethelene !!

Hey guys, following HuskyDude's lead I decided to do the shroud cut. grind and mount on my IMS tank. I found a local guy here in the Sacramento area that makes and sells his own epoxy that adheres to polyethelene. His names is Art and he has an on-line company called MrStickys.com. I called him up and went to visit. Great guy and very helpful. He gave me the whole story of polyethelene and how his stuff works. It's got enormous shear strength as well as having an elasticity factor that makes it great for a high vibration and potential impact environment. They key to his products adherence to Polyethelene is to "flame treat" (explained on his site and the packaging) the surface prior to applying the epoxy. Yeah, a little scary with fuel tanks, but I did mine prior to it's first fill. The stuff is white when mixed (and dried) and has the consistency of a very thick paste, or caulk when wet, so no running or oozing. I used 3 tubes and had just barely enough. I had a little bit of the white epoxy that showed at the front of the shroud once dried, but I just hit it with a gloss black auto touch up paint bottle brush and it blended right in with the tank. Attached are couple of photos of my install. I'm very pleased with the results. Thanks for the great idea HuskyDude

Attached Files:

2. SierraHusky Husqvarna
    B Class

A couple more photos of the finished product !

Here's a few more photos.

Attached Files:

3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Looks fantastic. Let us know how well the Mr. Stickys glue holds up. :)
  4. Milesdan Husqvarna
    C Class

IMS tank install with shrouds

I did a similar install using the stock shrouds on the larger black tank. No adhesives used so I can take it apart easier. I just cut 2 small holes at the forward ends of the shrouds and used a large black zip tie to hold the forward end onto the tank, cut the holes in the black part of the graphic so it is hardly noticeable. The zip tie just goes around the tank horn. Also where the two holes on the shrouds are drilled about center of shrouds- I just enlarged the holes and fitted a flat metal band on each shroud then safety wired to the seat pin on top center of tank to keep shrouds tight to the center. It looks O.K. except you can see the edge of the shrouds next to the top of the seat as the narrow seat doesn't quite cover the shroud edges. Solved that problem when had the seat redone at Rick Mayer cycle, just widened the seat a bit up front to cover the shroud edges. Seat is wider and a little lower, check out seat pic on his website. Sorry no pics for my mod.
  5. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    I did something similar with the zip ties however, I found they became branch traps and filled with leaves and stuff within a couple miles on some single track. Ive thought about selling my tank every day since. Good thing its functional.
  6. SilverTT Husqvarna
    A Class

Just did the IMS tank install 2 weeks ago. Attached a few pics though I didn't have time to take pics throughout the install because I was sort of rushing to get it done for a long ride the next day (hence the need for a larger tank).

Have to say IMS has really improved the fitment of the new tanks. Went right on and seat fit perfectly as well. Looks as good as stock if you ask me, though obviously the plastics don't fit on as well anymore and if you look down from the rider's position you can see the wider profile. But doesn't bother me in the least and I love being able to ride 100miles on a tank. I used outdoor industrial strength double sided tape and so far so good. Held up to some 90 MPH highway riding and a full day on the trails getting wet, etc. I didn't even use that much. Just about 3 or 4 inches on each side and I made sure the rear was securely bolted in to the rear plastics (as it was in stock mode).

Great modification. I also noticed my fuel pump was completely dislodged when I opened up the tank so I re-fixed it with 3 small zip ties so hopefully it doesn't happen again. Now the low fuel light works and everything. Very happy with the new tank.

For those of you looking for a great DIY guide with pics, check out this link. I could not have done the install anywhere as easily without these pics. And its also where I got the idea for the zip ties on the fuel pump. Thanks very much to the author of that post.

http://www.nmoffroad.com/forumvb/bu...ims-gas-tank-install-2008-husky-te-510-a.html

Attached Files:

7. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just don't forget to clean out the new tank thoroughly before use and save yourself any future headaches.
  8. SilverTT Husqvarna
    A Class

How did you guys clean it out? I blew it out with some air pressure, then put about 1/8 of a tank of gas in it, swashed it around real good and dumped it out. Wasn't sure what else I could do. Is it common to have lots of particles in the tank?

Also noticed my old tank had the fuel pump so far out of the fuel pump bracket that it likely wasn't even using the little plastic fuel filter bags...so now on the new install I made sure everything was tucked in tight with three zip ties ensuring the fuel pump stays seated.
  9. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    Maybe thats why there are so many fuel pump failures. Every one should zip-tie there fuel pumps and make shore the pre filter ( plastic fuel filter bag ) is attached.
  10. whiskeythrottle Husqvarna
    AA Class

looks awesome!!! That brain of yours just doesn't stop turning does it???
  11. Squidman Husqvarna
    B Class

Has anyone tossed an IMS on at 2010 TE510? I just got mine for Christmas, tried putting it on today and am having fitment issues. The rubber pads that you have to transfer over from the stock tank to do not touch the frame (about 1/2 inch clearance) The seat post feels about 1/4-1/2 to far back, I really have to push hard to bend the seat to fit on. The front post (by the handle bars) fits perfect. I keep rechecking to make sure no lines or hoses are between the tank and frame somewhere, but does not appear to be anything going on. If I ignore the problem, will I run the risk of the back two pegs/knobs that interface with the tank cracking the tank as there is no weight on the stock rubber pads? Also, the tank vibrates like an SOB, I think because the rubber pads don't touch the frame. Anyone know a thread that discusses this issue?

Also, those of you who used goop, is it still holding up? how about the 3m tape guys? And velcro? Zip tie guys, any of you have pictures so I can get an idea for how the finished product looks? Once I fix the fitment issue I want to put my panels on, it makes the bike look 100% better.
  12. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Just so I understand your position; you're considering dumping the IMS tank that is completely functional for you because you can't screw shrouds to it? Don't have a whole lot of options out there outside of the Safari with an even bigger tank and yet again, no shroud mounting ability....
  13. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    You need to return that one, it is beyond the 7% variance rate and will not fit the bike, it was set on the cooling racks incorrectly and dried crooked.
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    ... Yes the goop is just fine.
    ....Just blast back though this thread...there are lots of them.

[IMG]
  15. Squidman Husqvarna
    B Class

I have, just no one who used zip ties has posted photos
  16. SierraHusky Husqvarna
    B Class

Mr Stickey's Still Holding Well !!!

The Mr. Stickey's seems bulletproof to date. No issues holding. I actually bought more for a kayak project and it's holding awesome also !!!
  17. wilmar13 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350S
    Other Motorcycles:
    1190R
    Not trying to spam... but I am selling my IMS tank with side panels trimmed to glue as per this thread including the radiator shouds already trimmed. The hard work is done, you can just bolt it on (unlike a new one which requires a lot of work to fit).

The ad is in the classifieds.
  18. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Why are you selling it?
  19. wilmar13 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE350S
    Other Motorcycles:
    1190R
    Because it looks awful, fits like sh!t, and leaks like a sieve! ;)

Nah, I took it off because you can't run a steering damper with it, and I got a carrier to transport the bike to the Mtns where I ride so the extended range wasn't as necessary.
    Here is the ad:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/fs-ims-3gal-tank-for-husky-310-450-510-efi-bikes-08-10-200.18735/

It has been sitting in my garage for a year because I wanted to keep it for when I need more range and hadn't planned on selling it, but I need to clear space.

FWIW, it was hell getting it to fit the first time. I wrote up a thread when I first got it. I think the trick is to fill it with hot water when mounting so you can get it to move exactly how you want it without stressing the tank (putting stress on the tank is probably what causes them to leak).
    http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?80432-IMS-aftermarket-fuel-tank&highlight=larger tank
  20. SilverTT Husqvarna
    A Class

Those of you who used Mr. Sticky's and did the flame surfacing - is it possible to do without removing the tank? I was about to order his stuff but I'm also trying to find other solutions which don't require tank removal / emptying of fuel / and putting a flame to it.