1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New look with the IMS Tank 2

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by HuskyDude, Sep 6, 2008.

1. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    FWIW I can't even remove the shrouds off the stock tank. 8/10 nuts molded into stock tank are spun. Unbelievable.
  2. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone attempted to epoxy a blind nut to the tank?

I have already been through 2 IMS tanks (1st for fit the 2nd for leaking at the fuel pump) and not sure I want to attempt a 3rd. IMS and JustGasTanks.com were great in getting a replacement then a refund. I never made it to the shroud issue because I couldn't get a tank that worked.

As far as the leaks go, has anyone found a different gasket/O-ring for the fuel pump to solve the leak issue?

Mike
  3. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

I talked with IMS last night. They have apparently modified the mold process to solve the leak issue. Tanks manufactured prior to August 2011 were destroyed and if you order a new one make sure it was manufactured post 9/2011. I just ordered mine from JustGasTanks.com. We'll see how #3 works. If it doesn't leak, I'll try the blind nut idea.
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Don't they say "third time's a charm"

Some of us have had no issues with the early versions of the IMS 3 gallon. I'd use an OEM or same size viton oring. I would be carefull not to over-tighten the tank bolts that hold the pump and to put them on in a pattern like you would a head/ or car tire.

I have not had an issue with the brass embedded/ blind nut that holds the shroud and side-pannel on the IMS tank- again I think all you can do is not overtighten- and use a little anti-seize lube.

It will be nice for you to have some range MMMOTOrcycle- hopefully you have some good gas tank charma coming your way:popcorn:
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  5. addo Husqvarna
    A Class

what is the size of the std vs ims tank? looks a oem type of mod good work also are there any UK dealers
  6. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Stock tank is 1.9 gallons, IMS tank is 3.0 for fuel injected TE450/510's. I will have the IMS 3.0 + 1 gallon RotoPax on the tail (Wolfman Luggage has a RotoPax pannier mount Im going to fit on my tail rack) and two 33 fl oz fuel bottle stored in my "sweet cheeks" = approximately 4.5 gallons total.
  7. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK, third time was NOT the charm! I get the tank and its stamped 05/11. Uh, didn't they just tell me everything before 8/11 was destroyed? So I call and talk to Steve at IMS. Steve has no clue who I talked to before and was given false info other than the molding process changed slightly to add more plastic. He assures me they have not had any returns in some time. So I decide to give it a try. (In all fairness, Steve was the one I dealt with with the first 2 tanks over the summer and was easy to deal with)

Fit was good on the bike, then I went to install the fuel pump...problem. Only 1 of 6 holes lined up!?!?! WTF
    [IMG]

So waiting to hear back from IMS...again.

I will be going back to stock and the 1 gallon RotoPax on the tail.

Oh, well.
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I tried 2 of those tanks, they both leaked, wasn't gonna be a third time with me....

[IMG]
  9. Riksha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Darn I was hoping that there was a chance the new tanks were going to work out..... all the other ims tanks have worked fine 07 te450 trx250r trx450r 09 klx250s.
  10. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Long story short...4th tank is on its way! IMS was quick to respond. I'll let you know how this one works. I am assured it will be tested prior to leaving the factory. Apparently another Husky owner (anyone here?) walked into IMS with his tank last week and showed them the misfit. They are blaming the jig.

1st didn't fit on bike (don't know if it leaked, because didn't get beyond the fit issue)
    2nd leaked
    3rd fuel pump wouldn't fit
    4th...any guesses?
  11. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Put the tank on, ride it like you normally do, heat cycles and all that, take the tank off, removee the fuel pump assembly, like you are servicing the pump, put it back on, ride it some more, make sure it doesn't leak. Unless they added more plastic in the area of the flange plate, that area gets warped and will not seal.

[IMG]
  12. MontyCarlo Husqvarna
    A Class

I talked to Steve at IMS last week and they are testing a new tank design :banana: However it will still be a while, as the design shop is currently working on new bike models, and testing the new design is sort of on the back burner.

Meantime, I have discovered that a thin layer of 3-Bond 1194, similar to the grey Yamabond, helps out tremendously at the fuel pump plate. It remains flexible, so it gives and fills as the tank changes shape, and it is fuel resistant. It's pretty easy to clean off the old 3 Bond and add a new layer if you pull the fuel pump plate off for servicing.
  13. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    4ths times a charm .....?:excuseme: Lets hope so. :thumbsup: If not the return policy is great- so just keep sending them back-You'll have a good one by spring hopfully...They must have some luck otherwise they'd just quit making them. They should be testing them before sending them at this point,least they are checking the one you'll be getting

Not that I am saying its anyone's fault but IMS's. But its wierd cause I have never had an issue... and my Black 3gal, was used when I bought it in 2009. Then there's all the discussion on new and improved versions... I did nothing special and use the stock viton o-ring. The only "mod" I did was heat/mold the front of the tank (few mm's) to accept the Motosportz Dampner.

My buddy has one and it has worked flawlessly until it fell off a trailer and was dragged for a few thousand feet- it cracked near the inside of the wing- he plastic welded it up and it continues to work well.
    Good luck- :popcorn:
  14. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    $5 says it works this time.
  15. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I wish there was a tank for the '11 TE310 that didn't require an older fuel pump.
  16. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I'll cover that for "not"
  17. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Can I get $15 for the first 3 tanks instead :D
  18. Chainsaw371 Husqvarna

This is the only thing I hate about my 2010 510smr is the tank is to small I mean dam 60 miles and your done. There looks like plenty of room to make the tank bigger underneath as well as stick up a bit on top like the ims . Hell make it longer towards the air filter even. Theres no reason why someone cant make a 3.3 - 3.5 gal tank that works and looks good. I would love a bigger gas tank and would pay up to $500 for one that looks good and works . Plus dam we gotta have one that we can bolt our radiator shrouds to geez. I aint buyin nothing that makes my bike look like crap and dam sure aint gluen shrouds to the side of my bike just another problem there. Husqvarna should sell a special parts tank of there own sense there the one that put such a small tank on this bike for street for racing its fine but street riding no.
    They should actually sell there street version with a bigger tank and sell the r version with the tank thats on my bike. Make the small tank the option to buy. For one thing Husqvarna shouldve made the bike with external fuel pump cause that takes up some gas room in the tank.
  19. MMMOTORCYCLE Husqvarna
    AA Class

So far, so good. Tank has been on for a couple of days and not leaking:applause:

However, the bike wont start:excuseme: Battery (new 08/11 and on trickle charger since new) shows 12.3volts and will not crank over. I can hear fuel pump power up and sounds healthy, but wont catch, even while kicking. Waiting for it to warm up and try it again.
  20. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Did you wash out all the plastic debris from the tank before installation?

Cycle the fuel pump about 10 times, key on, key off. Put your ear on the rear of the tank, listen for any hiccups or funny sounds.