New LEctron / Motosportz rod for 250/300 class bikes.

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, May 27, 2014.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    3-2m is leaner on the bottom, slightly fatter in the mid and same on top as the 3-1

MS3 is richer in the mid than the 3-1. Might be leaner on the bottom as well.

don't know why you are so lean down low. Sure there are no other issues / leaks? Sounds like you need a standard 3-2 which I find rich on the bottom on most bikes.

The Lectron Metering rods are determined by 2 numbers, first number is the top end. The second number is the idle and low speed. Example: 4-1XL rod, 4 is the top end fuel and 1 is the low end fuel. The higher the number the richer the fuel into the engine is. The top end numbers go up to 20 and the low end numbers go to 4. There also some custom metering rods made for our some of our high end tuners. If you have rods with other numbers or letters you must call Lectron Inc. to find out what they are.

http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/docs/Tuning_Instr.pdf
  2. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Well after some time I have now fuel mileage statistics:

(WR 300 2010 Stock, Lectron 38mm with 3-2M rod)

Last ride I've done 106Km without entering reserve (7,8L used exactly)
    That traduces to 7,35 L/100Km (or 38 MPG).
    I should get 135 Km (84 Miles) out of the entire 10L tank, that's pretty impressive isn't it ?

Jetting is still a bit rich (black sparkplug) so there should still be some room to improve it more. I want to try also the 3-1 rod as my mids are a little bit rich I think.

Regards.
  3. racerxx276 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250XC
    Hey motosportz,

I'm in McCall ID and seem to ride the same rocky terrain as what you pictured. I've got the 3-2M rod in my 38 lectron on my 13 250XC. I can never get it to run as crisp as the stock carb. I ride 5-9 K 90% of the time. I can get the lectron to run very well below 4 k but struggle with the jetting at higher alt. Kevin says I should be able to get the carb to work with the 3-2M it runs rich off idle where I spend most of my time riding. any suggestions?
  4. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    I would give the metering rod a 1/4 turn more counter-clockwise to lean out the bottom a little bit more.

By the way, I've done that recently (another 1/4 turn leaner on the rod) and my gas mileage is getting awesome:

66Km ride @ 4L premix = 6L/100Km (39.2 MPG) .. that are 165Km with the 10L tank !!
    121Km ride @ 7,9L prmix = 6,5L/100 (36.19 MPG) .. that are 153Km with the 10L tank !!

Even modern 250 4T uses more fuel !

And... I'm still fouling black sparkplugs ... :confused:
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

have you tried leaning the rod slightly?
  6. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Hey, all- just bought the 3-2 metering rod directly from lectron. Am stoked to try it out. I am clueless on measuring it for initial install. I have calipers to measure but have no idea where to start. Mind pointing me somewhere?
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    49.5mm from tip to the part is screws into should get you in running range and tune from there.
  8. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    hmm...my cheap harbor freight caliper says its 53 mm from tip to first thread?
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the measurement kelly is giving is when its installed. measuring from the bottom of the slide to the tip. im guessing the slide will cover part of the rod that isnt threaded.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes from the plastic part the rod screws into to the end of the rod.
  11. 52xc Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    i bought a 3-2 metering rod for my 300. Holy crap. Its like I put a new pipe on there. Best $25 I ever spent. Things almost too much to habdle now. Crazy how these metering rods work so good
    kzoo and Motosportz like this.
  12. wrtimmy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 WR300
    What kind of environment are you guys running these rods in? Sea level, average temp, humidity etc?
    I'm happy with my standard rod in my 300, but open to some suggestions - it probably could use a bit more oomphh just in the lower-middle rev range.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

the 3-2 might give you that as it is richer on the bottom. I like the 302 a lot but was to rich right off idle for me so I designed the 3-2m which is leaner right at idle and slightly above then just like the 3-2m. Made my 02 CR250 husky a rocket and runs perfect. Like a pipe all these rods work fine they just change the powerband some.
  14. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Bike continues to run great with the Lectron, but I'm throwing out some smoke and the sparkplug is still a little bit dark. I thought about reducing the oil mixture but I started to think about it and have a interesting topic:

With standard carbs the fuel mileage is worse as these don't manage to vaporize as good as the Lectrons, I was getting 100Km out of a tank (10L/100Km). Most of the teammates out there with GasGas or KTM are getting similar results, maybe 100, 110 Km out of a tank (9-10L/100Km). That seem to pretty much standard for a enduro 2t with decent carburation.

With the Lectron I get much better fuel mileage in order of 6,5L/100, that are 153Km with a Tank. So I'm now using 35% less fuel than with the OEM Mikuni. That means that I'm also passing 35% less oil to the motor, Right ?

So, am I correct in the assumption that with the Lectron and it's better fuel mileage we can't go that lean on the premix as with the standard carb ?

If I'm using a 2% premix with the OEM carb, is the same premix equivalent to a 1,3% premix with the Lectron ???

Please share your insights, thanks ! :thumbsup:
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Keep your mixture and adjust the carb leaner / correctly.
  16. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I had a smartcarb on order for my orange 300. I sold my bike and cancelled my order. Now I'm interested in trying a 36mm Lectron on my beta 300. But it's pretty tight between the intake flange and the airbox boot. Does Lectron offer a shorty version?
    Motosportz likes this.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes, we do a shorty and one member here is running one on his Beta and loves it.
  18. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Ok, I'm interested. shoot me a pm with price
  19. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    So after getting the 3-2 all seems well. This was what plug looked like after initial install. Seemed to run just fine and start just fine. But what do you think...maybe a 1/4 turn leaner to get to that nice brown color?

[IMG]
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yeah, looks slightly rich.