New LEctron / Motosportz rod for 250/300 class bikes.

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, May 27, 2014.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Been doing gobs of testing and making custom metering rods for the 250/300 huskys. The 3-1 we ship with works great and is a good rod. I tested a bunch of rods and found I like the meaty power of the 3-2 in my bike but was rich for starting and response. Its a fine line between rich and great lugging power and lean but good response. Lectron has been working with me to perfect the rod for these bikes. I tested a 3-2m rod yesterday and loved it. Starts amazing and idles nice, has nice snap that was sorta missing with the 3-2 rod (but that rod makes a lot of lugging power) and still retains the lugging power. Its funny I have tried about 6 different rods in this bike and I can get them all to run fine but all make different power. Like changing pipes on a 2 stroke. Anyway my testing was super positive. Starts better then ever, had a nice idle, great initial response and then great lugging / roll on power. Seems to be the best of both worlds. I was also not seeing the big MPG gains I did with the 125/165 carbs. Now I do. I seem to be getting fantastic mileage. did 63 miles of high mountain riding in single track semi gnar and still have a lot of gas left. Probably good for 85 plus miles a tank now! So this new rod has the bike running absolutely perfect and getting much better milage. I'd say this is a success. Will have Lectron start building a batch of these rods for people to get if they should choose.

Here is my rod / slide dial indicator for measuring rod settings and the new 3-2m rod.

[IMG]

and here is my test laboratory...

[IMG]
    Hurky, wallybean, 454x and 3 others like this.
  2. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

When can I get one?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The one I was running is a prototype based on my testing and feedback to Lectron. It is a modified 3-2 rod. I really like it. Told Kevin from Lectron it was a go and he needs to build some. Call Kevin at Lectron and order one if you wish.

new rod is called a 3-2m and should work well on all 250 sized 2 stroke bikes.
    454x likes this.
  4. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ordered today!!!
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Look forward to your thoughts.
  6. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    You need to track down a new kusky/ktm 300 to test on so I can get a lectron for my new 300
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sending one to a ride buddy with a KTM300. It will work great there too. Not that different.
  8. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    That's some great info !

Do you send out the 3-1 or the 3-2m when ordering a Lectron right now for the WR300 ? Is the 3-2m enough to have or is it good to have also the 3-1 in case the 3-2m don't work so well with my bike ?
  9. flyingbob Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    01 WR360_02 WR250_12 WB165_17 FC350
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 VOR400_07 TM450_22 GG250_07 Tuono
    36 or 38 carb?
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We are still shipping the 3-1 because I want to prove the 3-2m rod out before we spec it. They are inexpensive if you want to try one.

I checked my mileage which seems really good from last ride and got 31 MPG I need to double check with another ride as that seems unbelievable at 7-10 MPG more than usual. Went 63 miles on 2 gallons meaning my 3.4 gallon tank is now good for 107 miles :eek: I hope this is right. Has better power and way better milage.
    Hurky likes this.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

38 but will work on either the same.
  12. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    That mileage is impressive !, but that tends me to think that's a pretty lean jetting comparing to the standard needle, isn't it ?

Isn't the 3-2m richer than the 3-1 ? Why better mileage than ?
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Nope, runs perfect, plug looks perfect, no signs of running on or getting hot. Its just metering fuel way better and efficiently. Seems similar gains in power and mileage on my 165. Standard jetted carbs are have many overlapping circuits that are sloppy. The metering rod eliminates this and is more efficient, atomizes the fuel better and stays closer to ideal mixtures over the entire range. My 165 gained 4-6 mpg and this is typical with what most my customers report with the Lectron.

The 3-1 rod we ship with is a good rod. I tried many rods in my recent testing and liked the mid range meaty pull better of the 3-2 (richer mid) but seemed to make the bike harder to start and was rich on the bottom. Via my feedback to Lectron they cut me a custom rod that is lean on idle and initial low end then gets rich like the 3-2 rod and ends about where the 3-1 rod was. This works perfect for me. Starts better than ever, idles perfect, has nice responsive snap, pulls hard in the mid, revs out hard. Great overall response and power from bottom to top. Pretty much seamless. Was shocked at the MPG gains and need to doune check but sure seems right. I believe my woods riding where i an off throttle a lot on the slower stuff and long down hills makes way better milage as I have leaned this part of the rod out. I also feel it makes such amazing power I am lugging it more as it will pull hard from insanely low RPM.

More testing and results are necessary but this 3-2m rod seems like the ticket.
    Hurky and 454x like this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Seems near perfect.

[IMG]
    Petar, Hurky, trailboss and 1 other person like this.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    3 rides on it now since the 3-2m rod install. Runs amazing and is getting 6-10 MPG better!!! I am getting 31-32 MPG now where stock was 22-25. Amazing.
  16. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    That are some great news ! 32 MPG is superb for a 2 stroke !

Isn't the 3-2m richer than the 3-1 ? Why better mileage than ?

I'm willing to have a Lectron more and more :)
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    3-2m is leaner on the very bottom where i spend a lot of time due to tight trails and long down hills. It also has more bottom and mid power so you are lugging at low RPMs with it instead of reving higher to get to the meat of the power. All that said I was shocked how good my milage is. Last few rides I keep looking at my tank in shock of how much fuel is still remaining especially compared to others I am riding with. Did one good 63 miles nasty ride. At 44 miles we went back by the tuck and everyone topped off. I looked down and still had over half a tank!!! Did not even bother splashing more in. Did 63 miles total and still looked like I had half a tank! Love it.
    454x likes this.
  18. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    :popcorn:. Keep us informed. I am no jetting expert, but my 250 seems to run really well with the 3-1, but my mileage leaves something to be desired. Mine seems to like a richer setting as i had to richen one full turn from as delivered where most seem to have to go leaner. I ride dual sport at a faster pace than single track, and tend to ride a gear high and keep rpms down. Our fuel stops sometimes clock in at 70-80 miles, and makes me real nervous even with the 3.4
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Call Kevin at Lectron and order a 3-2m and try it. Cheap and bet you get good results.
  20. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Will do. Just finished a 200 mile weekend. I can see that I am a little too rich as it is. It just runs so good compared to the Mikuni. Seamless power. Could be just all the lugging i do, but plug is black and lots of spooge. Interceptor 50:1. Dual sport with plenty of open terrain, gravel road, and paved sections and maybe 3 miles of single track. I would say an average speed of 25-30mph for the weekend with many sections 40-45 mph with the throttle barely cracked open. 22-23 mpg.:thumbsdown: Will not see final routes for next event for another couple weeks. Last years gas stop on A route was 75-80 miles. Other members with 300 KTM's made it with fuel to spare on stock tanks. I wouldn't think I should have to carry fuel with a 3.4.