New LEctron / Motosportz rod for 250/300 class bikes.

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, May 27, 2014.

1. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Installed my new 3-2M over the weekend in my 2009 250XCW. I can already tell its closer to the best setup. With this needle I was able to install it it and get it dialed in much better. My idle screw is at 1 1/8 out and it idles very nice. The bike responds exactly like predicted -- meaning that as you lean it out, you need to back out on the idle screw. I did this until it was lean enough that the bike would bog when gassed. From there I went back 1/4 turn richer and that's where I am now. This weekend we are heading out so I will report how it runs on the trail So far so good!
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

excellent, thanks for the feedback. Look forward to more reports. :cheers:
  3. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    Any special tools needed to change the rod?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    no, very simple. the trick is getting the install lenght close enough to fire it up and tune it. It is EZ for me because i have the dial indicator tool they use to set them. Those that do not can measure the rod from tip to the part it screws into and set that at about 49.7mm and you should be close.
    wrtimmy likes this.
  5. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    I see short youtube video on how to change the rod and adjust length with regular calipers in the future :)
  6. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    3-2m rod in the mail. I hope this works. I'm still having a hard time understanding how the fuel economy can increase that much with a richer mid rod. I rarely exceed 1/2 throttle and most riding is 1/8 - 1/4. 20 mpg sucks.
  7. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    how much are these things? assume we just paypal you for them?
  8. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Maybe I was just lucky before with 3-1, but having a little more trouble with this one. First time was my fault. Set the initial setting .050 too lean. Tore down and reset to correct specs given by Kevin. Started well, idled well, took throttle well. I am about 3/4 turn richer from there and keeps running lean on the very bottom. When cruising down the gravel road at 1/8 throttle or less, will miss and wander, and then when closing throttle will seem like the tank is running out of fuel. Float level is good. The last adjustment I made was 1/2 turn richer, and a little too much. Would not idle well, and could tell by riding it. The problem I am having is getting the low speed right, and not being too rich in the mid. At what point in the throttle opening would leaning out the power jet come into effect? Before with the 3-1, I was too rich down low to get the mid right, now I am too lean down low to get the mid right. Will wait to evaluate how I like the power delivery until if I can get it tuned right. Right now seems to explosive for my tastes. Definite noticeable hit to the mid where the 3-1 was more seamless smooth. Hopefully that will change with proper settings.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Interesting. My pretty much stock (someone added a reed spacer and v-force 3 reeds), stock pipe, etc, the 3-2m rod works perfect. Great power everywhere and starts and idles amazing. Keven said he is having good results with it too. LEt me know if you get it sorted please.
  10. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    O.K I will be scrapping the 3-2m unless you have any suggestions. Tank off and on 4 more times for a total of 12. Unimpressed with this rod. Finally got the bottom good just off idle cruising down the road (I dual sport this bike). However there is no power there when accelerating, and explodes into the mid. Top end is good. Currently one turn out on idle, one turn out on the power jet. 3-1 was sooo much smoother. The lousy fuel mileage is better than the way this thing runs now.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

OK sorry it did not work out for you.
  12. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Upon reinstallation of the 3-1 rod I can see the difference. I guess I shouldn't say my bike runs bad, I just don't like the difference. My bike ran exactly as you described this new rod. Actually leaner, and was crisper on the low end. I can see the fuel mileage gain in this area. Where I saw the biggest difference is in the mid range. You described a meatier mid, and mine was very noticeably stronger in the mid range. The transition is much smoother with the 3-1 maybe because it is not making as much power? Top end feels the same (I never use it anyway.) I think this may have given me the impression of no low end power because the mid was so strong. I can see where this would be well liked by a more aggressive rider. That's just not me. I guess between the 2, I would rather just plan fuel stops earlier to keep what I had.
  13. trailboss Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey mkfox I would be interested in that rod, let me know please,
    Thanks Jim
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Sounds spot on to my results. Did you try running the 3-2m rod a little richer? Yes it is more responsive and aggressive and has a good bit more mid. I like it. The 3-1 worked fine for me as well, a good bit better than the stock carb but felt slightly flat and almost to smooth for me. I have tested many rods and I can make them all run fine they just have different feels to them. I like that as you can tailor your powerband to your needs much like a 2 stroke pipe. Between a pipe and the rod you like you should be able to make you bike do about anything you want. :thumbsup:
  15. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Yes i ran a little richer and didn't like the "blubbering" way down low when cruising road sections. I replaced with the 3-1 and did 117 miles yesterday and will stick with it. I wasn't expecting such an aggresive delivery. Just doesn't suit me. I really like the smoother delivery. The 3-1 is easier for me to set up also. I forgot to measure the rod when I pulled it.:doh: Re installed blind, and only took 15 minutes to get it perfect. I think i am a little leaner this time than last. Actually got better mileage than before and exhaust is much cleaner this time. Defitely worth the try though.
    Motosportz likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thanks for the info. Helps us all.
    mkfox likes this.
  17. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    hey guys...hows this plug look?
    Should I lean it out more more turn?
    Reason I ask is I still sometimes get that "blub blub" sensation like its starving for gas sometimes on steep uphills or downhills. Other than it seems to run great.
    [IMG]
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You mean richen it as you say it seems to be starving. Have you played with the external PJ? Dial that around first as it is EZ to do and might resolve the issue.
  19. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    lol-no. Was under impression metering rod and idle was only adjustments available. Guess I need to read up on external PJ
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The screw up on top right behind the slide. I use a double ended screw bit to get in there as my bike is tight with a oversized tank. There is some overlap so you might want to play with that some and see.