1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

My 83 XC500 get a Lectron carb (pix)

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Motosportz, Mar 26, 2014.

1. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Yep Surprize.
    Couple of weeks back.
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

You need to find some big open area to crank that thing up. There are few experiences more memorable than then winding it out to about 95 in 5th then dropping it into 6th and feeling it continue to accelerate almost endlessly. You may only do it once before the reality check light in your brain goes off but it's worth having that OMG experience one time.:thumbsup:
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I cant hang on to the bars, the wind would blow off the back!! last time I got to wind the 400 out in top, as it came on the pipe in 6th I was flapping off the back like a flag!

I had to ease off before it was a pilotless drone!! (hate being old sometimes )
    2premo and Motosportz like this.
  4. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I also have a Maico 490. I think the reason they get to the 1st corner with such regularity is because they have such a wide tractable power band. They were the 4 stroke of today. However in a Top Speed contest I don't think they are going to catch the big KTM with its Bigger Bore shorter Stroke 14:1 Compression and small Expansion Chamber diameter.
  5. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Today I just received my No 57 issue of VMX magazine. It has what I would consider an excellent article on the Lectron Carb, both the History of the Company and the Carb, the new developments in both ownership and tech. Then they go on to do an installation and a brief test. The one thing the article is missing is a before and after Dyno Test with an Air-Fuel Meter.
    robertaccio likes this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    wheres the 500 vid?
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

will do one up soon. Been riding the 250. The 500 also runs freaking perfect and WAY better than the stock carb.
    robertaccio likes this.
  9. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    +1
  10. frog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi- I race vintage mx and was wondering if there available for a 1977 YZ400D that uses a 38mm Mikuni and a 1979 Can-am rotary valve 250 MX-5 that used a 32 mmm Delorto? Also what would the costs be per bike? Thanks Jon
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Absolutely. Please Email me here - motosportz@gmail.com keeping biz off the forum. Thanks Kelly
  12. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

If one where to get a Lectron Carb from the 70's or 80's how interchangeable would parts be with a current one? Are Float Bowls etc interchangeable ? If the parts do not interchange, where is the break point where they do and don't?
  13. subarumy98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Lectron fitted.
    Slightly shorter than stock, makes fitting easier.
    very easy to start
    Very crisp running so far.
    Motosportz likes this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Probably not. Lots of small changes. I have had a few customers go the used route then buy a new one from me.
  15. subarumy98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Finally, I got to run the bike properly.

Test 1 was a short MX track, http://www.syringamx.co.za/. Very powerful and the bike seemed a little rough on the bottom end, which led me to go 1/4 turn leaner after the trace.

Test 2 was around the block on tar at home. Felt very crisp off the bottom. All looking good and promising.

Test 3 was on a long MX track. Now it seems worse. Get to 3rd, and pin it up the straight and it blubbers at the top, doesn't clear.
    I then found a slight uphill jetting stretch, and all is fine till 3rd, then the engine just dies. As if you are out of fuel. You can back-off the throttle, and the engine comes back and runs again.

Next step is to go back to where I was, then mount a GoPro to see what the float level is doing while flat out in 3rd.

It really feels like its running out of fuel - just not sure how ?
    Now if I had access to rolling road dyno........
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Pull the fuel bowl right away and makes sure there is nothing in it. I have seen the glue from a lectron float come off and partially block the riode hole and make intermittent lean conditions. If you have intermittent lean conditions make sure the bowl is clean. Also make sure your overflow lines are unrestricted.
  17. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Be careful in 6th gear. My buddy's kx250 was topped out when my son blew by the kx80 on my 86-400wrx. We clocked the kx250 at 85mph wide open. The way the 400 passed the kx250 the 400 was well over 100mph. These wr husqvarna's are very fast. Being an exdrag racer my '98 husqvarna 250wr easily ran 12 seconds in the quarter mile maybe even better.
  18. subarumy98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Update:
    Stripped and cleaned the float bowl, the rod hole and all the overflow lines.
    All are clean.
    On bolting up the bowl, it looks like it might be warped slightly, on the long edges (front and back of the carb) - possibly an optical illusion as it certainly doesn't leak fuel. There is an O-ring seated into the bowl and also a thicker rubber gasket that fits between the carb body and the bowl.

The rod is a 5-XL and the carb has the serial number 334 B4 dremelled onto it.

Latest observations:
    I have narrowed down the issue - but not how to solve it..

At about 50% throttle, the Powerjet line starts to flow fuel.
    Just after that, all the fuel in the bowl turns into froth. It becomes a mass of air bubbles. Looks like foam.
    It seems that this amount of air in the fuel is causing the starvation and killing the motor.
    It happens at standstill in the pits, and also on the jetting strip, both at about 55% throttle.

Could be pure motor vibration - apart from a dynamic balance - not sure how I will solve that. All motor mounts are tight. New stainless steel front engine mount plates to keep everything secure.

The intake manifold is the "works" style from Husqvarna-parts.
    http://www.husqvarna-parts.com/catalog/item/3736880/4885100.htm

Comments and suggestions welcome.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Odd. My XC500 vibrated A LOT and did not have this issue.
  20. subarumy98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

@Moto:
    Have you ever seen the carb bowl contents turn to bubbles though ?
    I need to find the link between the vibration and cavitation in the bowl...