1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

My 83 XC500 get a Lectron carb (pix)

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Motosportz, Mar 26, 2014.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK so I have a Lectron Carb question. Until I read about it here I hadn't herd that name since I used to ride in the 1970's. I realize that they have been around for a very long time. I went to there web sight and read all about them and I am considering getting one. But one thing bugs me, if they are a simpler design and work so well then why doesn't every bike use them today ? By the late 70's Mikuni pretty much owned the market except for those Honda's which had that Kehin thing but today its all Kehin. One myth that I have discovered is that a Modern flatslide Carb is not any shorter than a standard Roundslide. Is this true for a Lectron as well ? If so can they be machined a bit shorter ?
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    i dont think lectron are equipped for churning
    Out the production numbers to supply kawasaki.
    As these are normally one off machined for each individual
    Who orders.
    But the main reason i would say is cost.
  3. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    phil at husqvarnaparts has an extended clutch arm that has my 400 clutch softer than the ktm hydraulic. suprizing diference...no pun intended
    cruisetopdown and justintendo like this.
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    early lectrons suffered from machining inaccuracys on the metering rod, modern machining/computers and quality control the rods are as should be all the time, the programs they use have been developed to optimise the fuel delivery to your specific machine/mods/riding style and environment and if the people at lectron are listening then a free carb for such a glowing endorsement would not go amiss.
    Rossik likes this.
  5. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Thats exactly what the Mikuni kit does, and it also draws fuel from the bowl. It removes the main jet from being the primary tuning circuit for full throttle, it takes over 1/2 to 7/8ths throttle and the power jet is the main circuit for full throttle. What I meant by a power jet not changing the top end is, if you add the powerjet kit to a Mikuni it does not really change the top end power, you can not feel the power jet "kick in", all it does is add another circuit and gives you the ability to have finer control over the full range, but especially in the 1/2-7/8ths range by drastically leaning the main jet, usually 100 numbers lower.
  6. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Dang Kelly, that thing sure is purty........:applause:
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I found Lectron via the Smartcarb conversations at the gasgas forum. I tried the Smartcarb and really liked it but it was a $900 CNC kinda one off part. Vinduro on this site suggested I look at Lectron which has been around for 40 years and pioneered and patented the metering rod carb. I ended up loving the carb and striking a nice relationship with one of the owners who is a very cool guy, super EZ to work with and willing to bend over backwards to implement changes we need for our bikes specifically. I have been doing biz with them for about a year now, love working with them and have sold over 200 carbs to lots of very happy customers several buy more than one from me. When I started with them I thought the same thing and wondered why all bikes don't come with them and that they were some obscure company. Come to find out they are only obscure to me and my narrow focused off road dirtbike market and sell huge volume of carbs for everything from minis to top fuel harley dragsters. The guy kind of running the place before was big into drag racing and thats where a lot of their effort went. They sell LOTS of carbs to snowmobile, drag racers, in line 4 race bikes, hill climbers etc. As for why they are not OEM I will have to ask but I'm going to take a guess. To do OEM you need to do very high volume at a very cut rate profit. This model does not work for everyone. I myself have turned down what you might think are amazing deals like providing for a hard parts catalog etc. Some companies would rather sell 40 parts at 30% profit than 1000 parts at 4%. Thier business model works as is and they are working hard to support the aftermarket performance industry and thats what works for them. Keihin and Mikuni are the OEM for the japanese and other manufactures and have been for decades so thats going to be a tough nut to crack and might not be worth it in the end.

Lectron has been unbelievable to work with. "Hey, lets move the over flow lines to one side and straight up and over the carb, ok?" Done. Hey, let's machine these down and put collars on them so they fit 100% correct? Ok, done. Hey what about a remote cable choke, done. Hey I designed this rod I think works better for the 125-165 bikes, send it to them, they test it on their dyno and like it, MS3 Motosportz carb is born. The dirt bike market is relatively small for them and they are working through me and my input to make the best product they can for our needs. This is not usual for companies like this and their willingness to do what we need is instrumental to a successful product for us. I have to say I really appreciate that and it gives us the opportunity to try something cool that works well. Think of it like the rekluse autocluch of the carb world. A very cool product to upgrade our motorcycles with.

All that said I flat love these carbs. From the first time I tried the Smartcarb I was hooked. The Lectron is the father of the metering rod carb and has 40 years experiance and ran by some very cool and willing to help guys that make it perfect for for me / us. I personally don't like riding bikes without them any more and I run them on all my bikes as soon as I can. Having one main circuit in the carb eliminates the crossover of circuits providing a super smooth transition from idle to wide open. I like the performance, smooth feel, much better MPG, more power, clean running, throttle response, simplicity, the clear bowl which is crazy useful at times, etc. I have one waiting to get installed on my great running 02 CR250 husky not because it needs it but because it adds so many thing for me to the experience. When I find a product I like, think offers something to my customers and are provided by a company I like to work with and believe in the product I go the extra mile to make it happen. I have done this with Trailtech, Motoz, Rekluse, JD jetting and several other companies and enjoy the process and offerings I can confidently sell my customers and totally understand.

Hope this sheds some light on what Lectron is and does and why I am involved. Thanks.
    Rossik, 390Dave, street2dirt and 2 others like this.
  8. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

This all sounds like an interesting idea.

I had a quick look at the Lectron website and it all makes sense.

Do they make the carb body to fit the stock bike (input and output diameter and overall length of carb body), or do you have to modify something? And how do you decide whether to buy a 38mm or 40mm? (I'm assuming most people don't like the 44mm Mikuni that was breifly on the 500s).

Kind regards
    Lucien
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

If you can give me the dimensions of your carb we will make it to fit perfect. 38-40mm will not matter much. I went 40mm on mine.
  10. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Lectron is a great carb and a GREAT company. For a few years before the became KTM, Pentons came as a stock option in the US with Lectron carbs. Some bikes, like my '77 Penton 400, are helped immensely by the Lectron. With the stock Bing it was really fast, but the power hit so hard it was just about impossible to ride in the woods. The Lectron smooths out that power, and greatly improved mileage. This year KTM engine has a piston port engine and the female flange Bing carb bolts directly to the male spigot on the cylinder. Lectron will machine one of their carbs to mount to that, or any other kind of mounting your bike has, all you have to do is give them the dimensions.
    Rossik likes this.
  11. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

ok so now I need to be put out of my misery, how much will a Lectron for my '84 500AE cost? And depending on how much they cost, would you ship one to the UK?
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

About $380 all setup and ready to go for your bike. Yes, ship international all the time.
    Rossik likes this.
  13. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes they ship to uk, i got import fees of £70 so be warned
    But my bike is not for sale now! Ever!
    Thats how much i like the carb.
    Rossik and jo360 like this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got a very good shakedown ride on it yesterday. Initially the carb was rich. Leaned it 3/4 turn on the rod and about half on the powerjet and :eek:. Bike runs perfect. Lots of bottom just like the stock carb but more response, mid is a HUGE improvment, top and is scary. Runs near perfect from bottom to top. Very EZ to start but was before as well. Bike is far more responsive, throttle pull is 3x EZer which is huge in a long ride, mid range is drastically improved, top end is scary fast. I should reiterate my stock carb was 30 years old and the needle looked warn but the carb itself seemed surprisingly tight.

So...

- Very good starting
    - Better low end response and slightly more pulling power (was actually pretty good here stock)
    - Mid range is drastically improved, responsive and pulls through very cleanly where before was messy
    - Top end is insane and not to be played with :>)
    - Mileage seemed much improved which is consistent with my other Lectron testing
    - throttle response is better everywhere, feels more modern
    - Powerband is very smooth and linear bottom to top
    - Can adjust the rod by simply rotating the carb and pulling the slide. EZ and can be done without removing carb :thumbsup:

I have a few things to address with Lectron to make this carb work perfect. Let me know if you any of you are interested and I'll hook you up.

- I have some vid I'll post later.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Spin the carb, pull the top off, EZ

[IMG]
    Rossik and juicypips like this.
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    a video will be nice so we can hear it...glad its working well for you
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Working on it.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    BTW with the bike running perfect now it has three modes...

Mode 1 - Short shift, keep it in the bottom end and grunt everywhere. Runs super clean and pulls from super low, could ride it all day like that and your moving fast even though it does not seem like it. Great woods motor and hooks up like it has traction control.

Mode 2 - Let it get into the mid range, this turns off the traction control and puts it in drifter car mode. Slide the ass end anywhere with a blip of the throttle. Down side is that where the vibs live and your tire is going to not last long as it will spin it at will in most any gear.

Mode 3 - This should only be attempted by Chuck Norris. Holding it wide open is dangerous to us mortals.

Oh, I should also note, like with my other Lectron experiences these carbs allow you to apply a lot of throttle at any time and don't load up or bog or anything just pull clean even at low RPM and big openings. These carbs seem to not mind large throttle openings were other carbs balk at it and struggle.
  18. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    that bike looks awesome i love the old style compared to the modern machines.
  19. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

Oh yeah mate, I know what you mean, I have been buying laptops from the US and the customs hit in the UK is 22 GBP, but lately I have been getting the Import taxes paid in the US when shipping, and paying it at that end it is only 22 USD, which makes a difference.....maybe Motorsports can arrange that as well ??

I'll have to ask when I place my order.....and with the money I have put into my bike so far, there's no way I am ever selling it.......
  20. Rossik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 Husqvarna 500AE

OK so I have basically decided I need one of these, so what do you need from me to be able to get me one?

And also, would you mind enquiring with your shipper, to pay the UK Import duty at your end? Then I'll pay for the carb, shipping and duty at the same time?

I've been buying Panasonic laptops from the US and I get the Import duties added on at the US end and it works out cheaper than what the UK customs people want to charge - it may well work out to be half what they want to charge me here which is why I'm asking (every penny counts....:).

Naturally if you can't arrange that, no problem, I'll get one anyways. Thanks mate