Lectron 125/144/165 custom rods coming...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Yellowfin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx220 (sold)
    Are these rods still available?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes, MS3, can get it from Lectron directly if you like.
  3. Yellowfin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 WR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx220 (sold)
    Thanks! What would be the starting setting on that rod
  4. geastman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Resurrecting an old thread to try and find what proper PowerJet tube length for a 144 (2014 CR, if it matters). My carb was a MotorSportz build (from August 2014) and has never behaved right in the mid to high transition. I went back to stock carb for a couple of years, then gave it another try.

After finding this thread, I measured my PowerJet tube and found it is the standard length (0.800"). Earlier in this thread a shorter tube is recommended, and is supposed to ship with MotoSportz builds. But the suggested length varies in thread. First 0.4" , and then 0.5-0.55". Does anyone know what length is supposed to arrive with a MotoSportz build? I'll call Lectron in the morning as needed, but was hoping to finish prepping tonight (including cutting tube) for ride tomorrow afternoon.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have gone from the short .4" to .6" with good results.
  6. geastman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks! I'll see what happens with .6"

I got an interesting reply from Lectron:

The old Motosportz build (2014 and earlier) called for a .600” length power jet tube. We now build with a standard long tube and a 3-2M metering rod for your bike.
  7. geastman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Things did not go to plan.

I made a jig, and cut:

pjtube jig.jpg

Aimed for 0.6" but was being cautious (hard to make it longer). Ended at .62" and decided close enough.

Given the radical change in PJ setting people reported. I decided to (almost) start over on tuning. Set PJ to 1.5 turns out, played richer and leaner with needle and found 1/4 turn richer than before was right.

Started playing with more throttle in the woods and found a flat spot around 3/4 throttle. Tried 1/2 turn richer on PJ and massive burble/bog when I opened throttle. Went 1/2 turn leaner on PJ (from baseline) and seemed better. Finished a few woods sections, came out to dirt road and opened it up. Nothing felt odd but within a few seconds it locked. Would turn over but would not start. I haven't pulled cylinder but it looks like a mild seizure:

seizedcylinder.jpg

And the plug (looks lighter in person, but not white):

seizedplug.jpg

Not blaming the shorter PJ tube. At time of seizure I was at 1 turn out and had been at 2 1/8 with long tube. Didn't think anything of the change due to wide variation in settings for people and the fact I was richer on needle.

So it finally happened. After 46 year of riding dirt bikes (including racing air cooled bikes) I have had my first seizure.
  8. geastman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, maybe not so mild. Stuck at front, back and both sides of piston. And the ring was stuck on the exhaust side, explaining why it wouldn't start.

The 144 top end has 35-40 hours, so was holding up great apart from this.

seizedpiston3.jpg seizedpiston2.jpg seizedpiston.jpg
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Sorry man that sucks. My first go around with the "Smart" carb ended worse than that. Finally got it running OK on the bottom/mid, opened it up on the road to check top end and bang.