Lectron 125/144/165 custom rods coming...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Apr 22, 2013.

1. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I tried to post a vid of the ride at 7500+' so you could get a feel for how crisp it is running everywhere but my connection(slug mode) crashed. Of course there probably wasn't 10 seconds when the power valves were open in 8 minutes of vid much less rev'd out but it was still crisp bottom to bottom of top. I will try again tonight.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    i believe you :thumbsup:
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Walt, for as advanced as you are mechanically, you should upgrade from your dial-up connection! :banghead:

:thumbsup:
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have the fastest wireless connection that my wife will allow us to have. :lol: She upgraded us to 10 meg download, .5 meg upload......I can't tell the difference with what it was before at .5 meg download. Unfortunately this is beyond my control.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

There aren't a lot of alternatives where I am.
  6. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I'm just being an ass :D
  7. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It sounds like you need to change to a smaller pilot jet until you get a lectron
  8. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    Interested in the new rod and shorter tubes. I've thought about replacing the power jet setup on the Lectron with a Dial a Jet for even better fuel atomization but I will try this modified rod and shorter tube first.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You can take the PJ tube out and cut it down. About .400" total length for the short one.

1. Unscrew the adjuster all the way
    2. use a small allen to remove the jet in the bottom (hard to see)
    3. push brass tube out
    4. carefully cut off the non-flared end of the tube to a little over .400" total length
    5. reinstall.

Free. Same as replacing but you don't have a long one to go back to. If your at 3.5 out you will not want to.
  10. dukepilot Viva l'Husqvarna d'Italia!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 SMR, TE250, CR125, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc, Buell, Honda
    Have you tried the shorter tube with the original rod? If so how did that work?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I did not but it should work fine if you are having to run over 2 turns out. You could cut it less and creep up on it. I got the tube and rod at the same time. Tim Troffer put the shorter PJ tube in and changed nothing else and said it made a good difference for the better.
    dukepilot likes this.
  12. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

3 turns out for me
  13. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Give us the PJ tube length in MM if possible. What is the effect to the carb and reasoning behind it ?
  14. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I'm not an expert here like WB or Kelly, but since he is gone racing in ID and until WB weighs in, I'll take a stab.:excuseme:

Shortening the tube moves the inlet to a different vacuum zone and lessens it's effect on the mid+ throttle opening mixture. The MS metering rod is richer on the larger throttle openings and so it takes more control of the mixture there.
    So when the shorter tube is used with the MS needle, the needle is more in control and more of the Lectron metering rod theory is realized (better atomization etc), because the PJ screw isn't open as far.
    Lectron power jet metering is like conventional carb MJ metering and doesn't atomize as well, so if your Lectron PJ screw is screwed out (more than a turn), you are missing out on some of what you bought the Lectron for.
    .800"= 20.32mm
    .400"= 10.16mm
    454x, wallybean, typeone and 2 others like this.
  15. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Three other factors in my case: 1) The carb slide in the Mikuni used to stick causing the bike to go full throttle - scary. 2) The Lectron looks cool. 3) with three turns out the difference to the Mikuni is Night-and-Day its so smooth and crisp. That said the improvements you say sound good and i'll be interested in any new parts Kelly feels are worth installing.
  16. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    thanks for that explanation, Xcuvator. helped a lot :thumbsup:

Kelly, once the new rods are available, will they come with new tubes? i might cut my current tube this weekend and give it a try.
  17. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    I am curious...why is there such a variation in the PJ turns out from one bike to another? Is it the altitude? 125/144/165 setups? Different pipes? On my WB165 with 200SX pipe, I am at 1 turn out only at close to see level (NJ).
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Dunno but even with stock bike in the jetting thread we were all all over the place jetting wise. One guys perfect was way off from the next. Must be variables at play here.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Exactly.

I told Keven from Lectron I think the tube needs to be about .500-.550 and that might be perfect. It is real EZ to take out and cut down if you care to play with it. This will work fine without the MS-3 rod and Jake is running that setup on his 125. If you have to run 2 plus turns out on the PJ or feel it fouls up your mid range you might want to do this.

I will have the MS-3 rods and tubes here any day. They ran a batch and sent them to me. I have to say on my bike and for how I ride it is brilliant. Starts 1st kick every time hot or cold, idles perfect and never hangs, makes smooth linear power bottom to top and I am at 1 turn out on the PJ. I have ridding this 50-8400 feet and 30-80 degrees, always run the same and perfect. There are only a few MS-3 rods out there right now and everyone seems to think it is really good. 125, 165 and KTM 200. Will be interesting to see the responses when people try them. I feel like I am sticking my neck out some.
    johnnyboy and wallybean like this.
  20. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

They work good , riding mine again tonight should know more