Lectron 125/144/165 custom rods coming...

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by Motosportz, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Radbuster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR125 '10
    Hi,
    How is it going? Are we there yet?
    For now I have turned back in the pj and are staying off the top end.
    It would be reeealy nice to get this improvement in place.
    Regards, Fred
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes I should be receiving a small pile any day now. They are shipped. You can also order new carbs from me with the modifications installed for no extra charge.
  3. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Had a little play with different length PJ tubes over the weekend and straight away had to go richer on the needle or had a real flat mid or a bog if the throttle was opened real quick, I did get every thing to run well with a few adjustments and even got the best idle the 165 has ever had BUT not overly happy with the 3 plus turns out on the pj and the mid seems weaker power wise so had to revert back to stock untill Kelly/Kevin comes up with a rod for me to purchace.
    Seems that mine is very reliant on the PJ very early and may be better with a longer tube :lol:
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

What were your settings before the shorter tube? I only recommend doing the short tube for people that run the PJ 2.5 plus turns out or more and feel it makes the mid rich. It is not for everyone.
  5. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    i'm a solid 3 turns out on the PJ and it still seems it may want a hair more... guess i'll hold off on cutting the tube until more reports come in but anything less than 2.5 and i lose the top end completely once hot. just sputters.
  6. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Always been 3 turns give or take a bit Kelly, Never felt rich in the mid and if anything maybe a tad lean, like I said the idle was the best its ever been by going richer on the rod but needed to be leaned again when I resorted back to stock (STRANGE)
    I made the tubes myself so no worries there but even though I keep getting the urge to grind my rod as its the only one I have I have resisted but have always felt a richer item would work well for my needs as long as the idle low throttle part stayed the same. even with a pwk mine loves a real fat main.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I am going to send you a PM.
  8. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Firstly many thanks to Kelly for imformation recieved on grinding my rod :applause:

So out comes the carb and mark the rod where i believe I want to start the grind from, remove slide take a large breath as this is the point of NO return and begin the job in hand.
    Followed Kellys advice and sat and looked at my handy work, Mmmm not to shabby so take a larger deep breath and lay into the rich end of the rod a little more as in my mind I need more fuel up top as well as the mid, Sit and admire my workman ship ( no one else to show it too lol )
    Removed the stock long PJ tube and replaced with a shorter one and put everything back together as it was - 3 out on the pj and metering rod at the same setting
    And now the moment of truth - have I just ruined a perfectly good rod or got close to what in my mind I was looking to achieve ???
    Starts first kick as per the norm and takes blips of throttle well and sounds nice and crisp so don helmet gloves ect and off for a test run I go.
    Instantly feels real nice crisp and strong from bottom to mid but not good as the revs get higher as its far to rich so go in a turn on the pj and try again, Still to rich so go in more and still to rich. Its around this time I am thinking that I may well of £ucked this rod but go in some more and low and behold everything starts to come good and a few WFO runs and plug chops later and I have the pj at 7/8 out from fully seated and things are looking really good !!

Now I always thought I was never going to get the 165 any better than it was but I was very very wrong !! The throttle responce is now far crisper or to put it another way it feels more connected, before hand every thing seemed to require more throttle movement to achieve forward motion but now it just pulls in responce to how much you open the throttle.
    From stand still to where I run out of room the bike still pulls the same 72 / 73 mph but thats neither here or there as the gains in responce are what the story is all about here and I really am impressed with the end results.
    Not saying the mod or Kellys new rods will work for everyone but it sure worked well for my setup and to think I got it spot on at the first attempt has left me feeling rather chuffed so think I will have a nice cold beer to celibrate and say cheers to Kelly for the info and in a way giving me the push to try it :cheers::notworthy:

0041-0911-2009-0317_illustration_man_using_a_grinder.jpg
    kzoo, sabortooth, 454x and 3 others like this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good stuff, glad it worked out for you. :cheers: I don't recommend everyone do this and also my new rod does just what he did to his own setup. I PMed him telling him how he might approach this as his fuel is far different than what we get in the states and sending a rod to the UK is expensive and takes a bit so I let him know how to mod his for what he was needing. Glad it worked!!!

My MS-3 rod does all this and does it better as it is a precision grind and has a few more features. If you are running 2.5 turns PJ or more you need my MS-3 rod and shorter PJ tube. This takes the load of the overused PJ and puts it back on the rod which atomizes better. Kevin From Lectron has now tried my MS-3 rod on several bikes on the dyno and is liking it really well and starting to spec several 2 stroke single cylinder bikes with it. He told me the other day he had a really good running YZ125 on the dyno and was happy with it but wanted to try my rod and did and said the results were excellent. Looks like the MS-3 rod is a go. BUT, if you are running your PJ at about 1 turn out and it runs great for you this probably is not needed. Just food for thought. I will have a small pile of rods here for sale mid next week. Email me if you think you might like one so I can judge demand and get inventory.

Thanks
    Kelly
    typeone likes this.
  10. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    email sent :thumbsup:
  11. Toro618 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Email sent
  12. sparky22 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawi
    I'm interested. What is the approx cost of the needle and short tube?
  13. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Will be installing my new 36mm Lectron with MS3 rod and short tube and Motion Pro cable, Thursday. I am replacing a 2012 Tmx38. Wish me luck, I'm no carburator mechanic.
  14. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    can't wait to try the new rod and shorter tube, thanks again Kelly :thumbsup: i cut my stock rod by ~4mm and tested this weekend, definitely helped! i was able to turn the PJ in by almost a full turn (i was a little over 3 out)

sabortooth, this carb is crazy easy to dial in. love making twists rather than swapping brass constantly.

i'm getting much better milage, smoother running through temp variations (no bog in swamp conditions!!!) and less spooge. few more tweaks and i'll be golden. awesome piece of kit.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    great post and what I am experiencing and most that bought these from me. You might even see better milage with the MS-3 rod. thanks for the feedback. :thumbsup:
    typeone likes this.
  16. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    Do new carb orders come with the improved rod installed ?
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

yes we have been shipping the 125-200 bikes with the proprietary MS-3 rod and shorter tube as it seems to be the right parts.
  18. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Have recently installed 36mm lectron and am having issues with tuning high rpms. Starts better than ever and bottom is crisp. Have a ping at idle than was never there before. When nearing 3/4 throttle the engine falls flat. I am trying to adjust without opening up to move the metering rod.
    I messed up the original settings, I changed the cable when I installed the carb. Upon starting my idle was way high and like a unqualified carb mechanic, I started turning screws when I needed to adjust the cable. I think I have the cable adjusted correctly now but am not finding the sweet spot on carb adjustments. Is it possible to get back to factory settings and start over?
  19. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Okay, things are better now. My plug was black so went way leaner. I'm surprised that it needs to be so lean. The spooge stopped when I first installed the carb so I figgured I was much leaner then. My plug now is dark on one side and tan on the other with almost a straight line in the center of the plug.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Set your rod first so that it starts and idles well and takes throttle nice while riding. Then adjust the top end via the PJ. Let me know where you are at then. My plug looks like it is running lean but does not run lean. These carbs atomize the fuel far better and can give lean indications like no spooge and tan plug when they really are not lean.