1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

HVA-Factory WR300 Extra Special!

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by hva-factory, Mar 29, 2013.

1. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Colin and cOrPsE like this.
  2. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Now in stock - by popular request are our 40mm fork caps. These replace the assortment of parts that give you the bleed valve assembly and cap into one great part with a super quick fork bleeding pressure relief valve.

As fitted to our own factory flyers... Hope you like them! P1010031.JPG

Andy
    ray_ray, Norman Foley and 86 400 XC like this.
  3. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Good to get back on a bike this week after the winter lay - off and the new Factory HIP...

Looking forward to Telford off road show later this month too!

Andy.
  4. 84cr500 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 XC 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 500 EXC past 75 XR75 Rm 125
    How much are the fork caps?
  5. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    One new pair complete with seals and valves is £50 with tax. Check out the website....

Andy.
  6. 84cr500 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 XC 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 500 EXC past 75 XR75 Rm 125
    Thanks do you ever get over to race in northern ireland
  7. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

Not done so yet...

What is worth coming over for???

Andy
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    First I'm happy to see someone that's keeping these old air cooled husqvarnas alive and well. Your applying the high tech stuff used today in these old gals giving them new life.
    Thanks. I like your stuff. I'm still grabbing used parts but well catch up soon I like your upgrades.

The aluminum on the sleeve will give a better heat transfer to the aluminum cylinder. The cylinder will draw the heat away from the cylinder. They use aluminum for heat sinks in electronics. Better cooling = longer life cylinder and piston.

The best quality cylinders I have ever worked with is the cagiva husqvarna. They were a hard industrial chromed cylinder. The pro husqvarna chainsaws use the same hard chrome plating. At 90% of the time when a piston blew in a saw due to fatigue from age and wear we would give the cylinder a quick hone and install a new piston. The hard chrome cylinder would survive.

Eons ago the old timers knew that bigger flywheel mass is more torque. It also means more, smoother, controllable power. More bottom end in bikers terms. The 2t can act like a 4t when we lug it, well close. But there is that fine line between lugging it down low and the point were the hit starts. I like it.

I think personally you should do something special to the finish on your forks or label them to show off your work. Everyone puts there name on the products.
  9. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    It wasnt chrome it was nikasil and almost every bike from the late 80s on uses it.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The chromed cagiva cylinder made my phone stones squeal bad. If it is nikasil it's rock hard.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The 80k/100k pound trailer trucks use cam operated brake shoes. But the activator cam isn't flat it's offset half round for each shoe. The husky cam is flat. The more the offset cam turns the more the pressure multiplies. The ark of the cam increases.
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    Nickel Silicone Carbide is what it stands for the rings wear off the nickel and the Silicone Carbide is left, tougher than steel
    made popular in F1 and is used in high end car engines too
    Mahle invented the process
    454x likes this.
  13. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    It is/was nikasil 100%. It is extremely hard which is why it is used instead of chrome like some late 70s Japanese cylinders were. You aren't supposed to use standard stones on a nikasil coating, there are specific hones for nikasil that will prep the surface without damaging the coating, they look like a bristle brush with abrasive impregnated bristles . You were very lucky you didn't damage it with a regular hone.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    My hones didn't even touch it because it's so hard. They recently offer stones for nikasil for my hones. I have the silicone carbide ball hones but they hammer the open ports. Can't use those. They offer the stones to bore the nikasil.
  15. Carl Jespersen Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Very proud owner of an 83 430WR !
    I have a '83 430 WR I want to upgrade the forks as Andy has. The question is : I have a set of '86 WR 400 forks, which I believe are considered "EVO". Will they work? Do I need '88 damper rods? Andy's quotes below
    Had this bike for 31 years & counting!! Thanks for any help!!

"The Forks are from the last of the Evo 1988 bikes. Cut off the Disc Brake mounts and Weld up. Then Machine back to look exactly like the 83 fork!"

"Take a set of Evo sliders and mill off the disc lugs. Alloy weld up what is left of the holes from the disc lugs and machine back to make them disappear. Powder coat white and they look like the 83 / 84 bottoms. Take a set of damper rods from an 88 Enduro bike and fit them together with new seals and bushes. Fit some hva-factory Titanium bottom fork washers........... "
  16. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The damping rods in my 86 400WR are Husky Products and are pretty much standard damping rods compared to the rod found in 1987 and 1988 forks. I am sure the damping rod in the 1986 fork was non valved or the PO would not have installed the HP rods
  17. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Do the internals look like the picture on page 3 of this thread? If the answer is yes - use them. The later mods were more to do with the hole (or 4 holes) that let the oil go up between the fork tube and the fork bushes on the later fokr stanchion (chromed bit)...

Hope this helps.

Andy.