How to change the TR650 air filter

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mag00, Mar 4, 2014.

1. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    So, what exactly does the "factory finish" do for you? Your bike isn't my problem but, you could order a new airbox to keep on hand. They are cheap and the parts flow is working again. When you sell the bike put it in the new airbox or offer it as an add on in addition to explanation why the PodMod was done first place. IMHO the PodMod provides piece of mind against dirt infiltration. After hanging around here and on ADV I'm not sure I would trust the 3d options, but that's just me.
    LED likes this.
  2. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Are there any pics/reports of anyone using this new "factory" finish mod? I have 2 bikes in need of either the pod mod or this 3d option, if it truly keeps the crud out. 38,000km on one and 27,000km on the other. Pulled filters after this last 6400km ride and Fark! One box looks pretty bad. The filter was partially collapsed inward in one bike, the edge buggered on the other. dunno why so resistant to cutting up the box, but just dont want to.
  3. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    half decent pics at the bottom of the page

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/new-owner-definitive-airbox-answer.72497/page-2

beside that 3d printed frame and the Unifilter you must improve the perimeter seal of the airbox and the seal of the internal airbox divider as well as the sealing of the air intake temperature sensor. Best glue for the 3d printed framed seems to be 3M DP8005 or 8010 which is difficult ot get in Oz and you need the specific 3M applicator gun and mixing nozzles too. Alternatively you could get in touch with Errol (Engenia) and send him the airbox to do the work.
  4. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Sounds like some "factory finish!!" will be needed for the engine internals of at least one of the bikes fairly soon
    after it had that load of dirt down its throat.
    Nothing new in filter-land for the last couple of years...it's either 3D (the whole package) or PodMod, anything else is a time-bomb.
    (and personally, so is the 3D thing to me... with some of the early frames cracking etc.)
    Each to their own, hooray!!
    PaulC likes this.
  6. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    What about Errol's 2nd gen frame and beef up of box? I like the idea of an easy filter change & not having to pull all that shit off for a filter clean/Change, particularly on the road. I do big km rides. 6400, 7800, 3100, several 1000+ this year. 700-1000km/day is not uncommon.
  7. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

Yet another reason for the PodMod...do it once, do it properly. Then sleep well from there....
    Set up the "skimmer-sock" pre-filter and you'll hardly EVER even need to check the Pod filter!!
    Just replace a $1 filter-sock on the fly and check the foam-filter occasionally...the skimmer-sock will deliver the clue when it's time to check/ clean the pod-filter.
    ( I haven't done it in 6000k's...and she's clean as a whistle)
    A few pre-oiled skimmer-socks in a zip-lock bag under the seat will make short work of a few-1000k's of gravel and dust. And take barely 10% of the room/ weight a spare air-filter would.

Details here http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/aus-vic-melbourne-terra-strada-pod-mod-workshop.43907/

Currently waiting for the parts to make the skimmer-sock replacement a 1-min affair at the side of the track/ road. WITHOUT TOOLS!!
    It's so easy, it ain't funny. I'll post the pics.
    After that, absolutely every angle of this whole airbox-affair will be covered at near-zilch ongoing cost + effort + inconvenience or risk of contamination.
    If folks prefer a rooted top-end to a chopped air-box, it's their choice, their bike.
  8. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    there's definitely 2 camps - pod mod or Errol's 3d- printed filter frame & perimeter seal. I'm the latter. Bike has done 30,000k since the fix with heaps of dirt and airbox & TB is squeaky clean. We just sent my brother's off to Canberra for surgery.
    My bike is stock and rocks!
    CarstenB likes this.
  9. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    2 well thought out and effective modifications to resolve a problem that Husqvarna has placed in the too hard basket or ignore and it will go away.

I went with Errol's 3d solution but I can appreciate why people would prefer the pod mod. (2 years of avoiding the dirt while I procrastinated over which way to go).

The other direction bandied about was to seal the air-box and grease the seals on the filter. Don't know how effective that is so it be nice to hear from someone who went that route.

John
  10. Hansi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 Versys
    I have a Terra with pod mod, 32000 miles, runs like a champ. Lots of dusty high desert, Baja twice. I know when I have that foam filter cleaned and re oiled and the hoseclamps are tight, all is good. I go riding and have fun. I don't even think about the air filter
    PaulC and nev.. like this.
  11. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    I just sent both boxes off to Errol for that mod. Just like the idea of an easy check/clean/change, particularly on the long hauls I do. Unfortunately, both bikes' throttle bodies were tragically dirty :( so here's to hoping a top end isn't around the bend. At least valve clearances were right in spec on both machines. I'll check classifieds and other posts, as I'm not looking to hijack this thread, but anyone know of a fuel rail available? Yep, screwed up and snapped one... and on the SECOND bike I pulled apart, not the first! :cool: The fewer km bike just fought me a lot for whatever reason.
  12. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    The modded airbox door + frame.
    1 minute pre-filter / filter sock changes at the side of the road/ track.
    No tools needed.

More here post #178

[IMG]
  13. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    I've gone that route with the Strada inc a well-greased Unifilter. Have laid in a snake camera and will report on the result.

One of the problems is that the factory filter can twist when installed. The Unifilter is a whole lot more solid.
  14. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    I'm sure I saw a UniFilter for the TR in the garage yesterday...you're welcome to it, yours for the taking.
    Just mind that the airbox halves don't neccessarily match... nor is there a guarantee that the seal between the halves
    is continuous...or even exists.
  15. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Thanks glitch. It's all done.

Jim K and I made a new gasket from neoprene rubber and I was happy with the fit of the airbox halves. I'll pretend to be a proctologist with the endoscope to see how it performs.