How to change the TR650 air filter

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mag00, Mar 4, 2014.

1. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    To quiet the intake and add a prefilter I added a small piece of perforated metal and a scrubber pad. I tossed a little oil on for fun.

The scrubber is real coarse, so it does not restrict the air much at all, if any.

On the ride today, it made a significant difference in intake noise reduction, when cracking the throttle.

DSC08043.JPG DSC08044.JPG DSC08045.JPG

This would also work to keep the stock crankcase vent with cleaner air, for those who worry about that.
    PaulC, vodka and glitch_oz like this.
  2. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    A huge thank you to all of you that have figured this out and especially to Mag00 for the videos. I'm assembling the parts needed to do this but I really don't understand the crankcase filter. Where does the the air go that it filters? I see the barb going into the plastic but what's on the other side of that wall?
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I haven't done anything to my vent/breather. It really does not draw or push air, so to speak. It just pulses as the piston goes up and down. The air in the case may contain vapor that is fed back to the engine intake for burning, emissions thingy. The filter would prevent any possible dirt from entering the crankcase as the piston goes up. As the piston goes down, it will expel the 650cc of air, and as it goes up, it will intake the 650 cc of air. That is the theory, but in actuality air compresses, so 650 cc never really moves through the vent hose or the filter in the airbox.

If you get a chance, tie a partially filled balloon to the end of that hose. Might make a good video.
    PaulC and turtlemoye like this.
  4. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Thanks everyone who pioneered this pod mod.
    And thanks mag00 for making the video and prefilter idea.
    Parts on order! via Quirkys post.
    Thanks Blokes
    engineerk9 and mag00 like this.
  5. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    You're welcome, anything to make the bike better is good to share.

Which brings up a different way to cut the hatch. BigDog did his a different way, I kindof like this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24303199&postcount=4228
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    300 miles later, some of that is the oil. It does quiet the intake noise.
    filter-dirty.JPG
    PaulC likes this.
  7. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    What kind of scrubby materiel is that?
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    It is a heavy duty scrubby, sold in 3 pack at the 99ยข stores. Made out of some sort of plastic, and does not really work well for scrubbing.
  9. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    After a few concerns about the crank vent I finally went and got some proof for those who may be concerned. I have not been concerned using the stock vent and media in the airbox, nothing changed in respect to that. The media in the airbox above the connection is not to filter dirt from getting in, but rather to collect any oil residue that may be sent into the airbox. This vent is to send the vapors of the crankcase into the engine for burning, vs dumping to atmosphere and polluting.

Here is the vid, yeah not well planned out and I am somewhat embarrassed about it. It's hard for me to watch without falling over. Sorry in advance :eek:

Coltx, eca and PaulC like this.
  10. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Good video Dave. As mentioned over on ADV, I wasn't sure why people were moving the crankcase vent, but moved mine anyhow because I had the parts on hand. At least the filter will ensure that I'm not blowing lots of oil into the air box.
  11. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Like you RD I kinda knew it was a useless endeavor yet I did it. At least the blow back oil will have a place to accumulate...
  12. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The stock iteration is fine. It has that coarse material. It reminds me of the aftermarket breathers on the valve covers of the V8's.

I know it is not much weight, but it is weight you do not need to add. Also, something you may want to consider, the vent is should be free flow, how much resistance does the filter give? Probably not much. Is it enough to affect blow by? Probably not. But as that filter clogs, monitor its free flow ability.

The balloon shows that you can close off the vent, and it will not explode, but as the engine wears in, how much pressure will develop and to what will extra pressure cause? Minimal? Not enough to worry about?

But... continued 1 psi can make seals leak.

Summary: check your breather filter for restriction periodically. But you already knew that :banana:
  13. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    "Summary: check your breather filter for restriction periodically. But you already knew that :banana:"

The stock filter would have been a bugger to check periodically.
    mag00 likes this.
  14. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Sure would be, it can be done from the front if you desire. Stock material is of totally different construction and not prone to clog with oil residue. So no worries on the stock stuff. But yeah, with the pod mod, just reach on in from the top when you clean the pod filter. Easy as pie and can be checked every filter cleaning. After a few you will realize it is not necessary.

But since it is on the burner, I am curious as to how much different the flow is from the added filter vs the stock. I doubt if you could tell, when new and clean. And since the bikes are newer, there will be minimal blowby to clog either filter. This would be more of a factor at higher miles, or if you didn't do any mod to the stock breather.

What are the AM/e modders doing? They cannot relocate to that compartment, and still have the same oil and blow by.

Frequent maintenance is a good thing.
    Coltx likes this.
  15. Pauli53 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Hi, do you use the red filter top and do you oiled red filter or that black filter?
  16. Pauli53 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650
    Do you use pre red filter upmost and oiled? Or without? And how do you wash that foam rubber filter? That have spring inside!
  17. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Bucket of warm soapy water and just stay with it. Take your time, don't force it.

I do not use the red pre filter, I just use the black and use the uni filter oil in the spray can, some use the red filter as well, and the oil you use is your preference.

I have the scrubby pad pre filter (oiled) that catches alot of dirt. The red filter sock is not needed for me. It would be better probably.
  18. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    My procedure is a bit different than Pauli's method.

1. Pull the seat
    2. Remove the gas cap
    3. Remove the four screws in the gas tank fascia then remove it
    4. Remove the top screws of the left side panel and lean/wedge the side panel out at the top
    5. Remove the three screws on the removable piece of the airbox
    6. Remove the filter.

No need to remove the side panel at all.
  19. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    I'm of a similar mind...
  20. Cyntax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra, 900R Nuda
    Other Motorcycles:
    MG V50 NATO III

Sorry for hijacking the thread but are there any pictures of this 3D printed uni filter flange? How is this to be inserted into the airfilter housing? Is it a complete unit that replaces the OEM air filter bracket? Will it work with a K&N air filter?