New Owner- Definitive Airbox Answer?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by mcalistr, Jan 19, 2015.

1. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    A good portion of the bikes have proven to have airbox-seals (between the upper and lower halves) which are incomplete (as they are NOT a continuous seal but only a length of thin rubber tubing cut to approx. size
    ex factory, at least in my case). If they actually make a continuous seal seems to be a matter of the individual airbox/ bike.
    No UNIfilter or printed filter frame can make up for a piece of missing sealing-rubber between the airbox halves.
    ONLY the podmod will cover that issue as well (as all other eventualities) and for a lousy 60 bux or so and a couple of hours of easy garage-time, there's just no equivalent
    (even though I wish it would've been as easy as just slotting some other filter into the existing factory setup).
    engineerk9 likes this.
  2. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster

Glitch, Engenia 'engineered' the fix to my box which included not only the 3D printed frame and Unifilter but also saw the shortcomings of the air box seal rectified. While no doubt the pod mod is a good fix, I am more than happy with the 3D filter mod/air box seal mod. I am confident it can cope with all the dust that can be thrown at it.
    M
    engineerk9 likes this.
  3. Cyntax Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra, 900R Nuda
    Other Motorcycles:
    MG V50 NATO III

Hi Engina, I may have underestimated the seriousness of the airbox problem since my dealership said that it will not be a big problem in my country due to the lack of dust and stuff. But I don't feel comfortable anymore riding with the stock airbox setup especially because I want to keep this bike for a very long time. The 3D printed filter frame sounds like the perfect solution for me because I do not want to be cutting in the airbox and leave the bike as stock as possible within the 2 year warranty period. Where can I find more information about and purchase the 3D printed version B you designed? I would like to perform this mod just as a precaution.
  4. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Don't forget the inadequate seal between the airbox halves. The 3D filter frame is only half the remedy.
    PaulC and engineerk9 like this.
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    All good then.
    If that's the case, the airbox had to be removed in order to check (and possibly "fix") the factory seal., which involves dismantling part of the rear-end of the bike to drop the subframe to get the airbox out.
    Then re-assemble after the check/ fix. Then install the filter frame.
    All up a procedure that takes more time than doing 3 PodMods in a row.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  6. Slowflyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    A labour of love, Glitch.
    Johnn likes this.
  7. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Disagree Glitch.
    The frst time is a bit arduous but once the veil of mystery is lifted subsequent disassembly is quick.
    2 good outcomes from this op:
    1) You get to know the anatomy of this bike alot better
    2) you get to check on a lot of stuff while you're in there.
    engineerk9, PaulC and nev.. like this.
  8. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Not to mention, that you have to do it every 20,000klms do undertake tappet clearances
    PaulC likes this.
  9. mguzzi Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    guzzi
    Please, need info on how to order version B Thanks Lumpy
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  10. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    Errol is in Canberra (Australia) send him the complete airbox, he stiffens it up, ensures 100% seal, then bonds the 3D frame to the upper airbox half
    You mount the Unifilter foam air filter Connect it all back together etc
    I've done about 8,000klms with mine
    23,000klms on the bike in total
  11. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Contact details for Errol?
  12. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    See PM
  13. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    He'll also seal the AIT hole, l mounted my AIT sensor at the front well away from engine heat, sealing the hole ensures airbox integrity/pressure
  14. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Thanks again for forwarding Errol's info. Just curious wether the reworked air box presents any installation challenges concerning the throttle body? Also any other observations of note> How the unit performs etc. Do you run any type of pre filter. I am guessing to confirm the success of this mod you have at some stage removed the box from the throttle body for inspection?
  15. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I removed it to change the injector - perfectly clean inside, not a trace of dust - Phew!!
  16. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Not sure if this is the right place for posting this, but yesterday I checked the airbox to remove, clean and oil the Unifilter, only to find its rubber frame badly warped, and letting the air to bypass. This despite using the K&N filter grease. I reverted back to the stock paper filter, which has a more rigid rubber frame.
  17. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Mine is still clean, K&N Filter and no need for a Pod Mod.
  18. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I am waiting on Engenia's filter frame but in the meanwhile I have taken the bike apart to see how the air box looks after installing the original filter frame. While the filter portion of the frame did break, the seal was intact, and after replacing the stock perimeter foam with taller stock, the inside of the air box was clean. There was just a tiny bit of leakage at the ends of the internal dam but I will fix that when reassembling. Being able to service the filter without taking the plastic off is a real benefit, especially on the trail after encountering dusty conditions. I'm sticking with it. :)
  19. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    First pic is my airbox at about 1,800km. I had been greasing the stock air fiter surround as suggested by the thread on ADV rider. That was not my problem....
    Second pic shows the perimeter seal not even located within the recess, FROM THE FACTORY!
    Third pic is Engenia's 3D printed filter frame mod (the part that forms the new filter "door frame" as seen from the very front of the air box, not from the air intake vent. Note the stiffening gussets he glued above the new air filter and the cutaway to increase airflow available to the filter surface.
    Fourth pic is the white 3D printed air filter frame with wing nut to secure to the "door frame".
    Have done 20,000km and checked it twice since initial modification - clean as a whistle.....
    I keep 2 air filters on hand so a spare always clean & oiled ready to go, a 5 minute job to swap.
    Best mod ever for this bike. P7300023.JPG P7300024.jpg P8090040.jpg P8090041.JPG
    Mark_H, engineerk9 and Kenneth Webb like this.
  20. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Good pics Sussurf! It shows how Errol cut away some of the box to get more air in. I will be doing that too.