GS-911 service tool

Discussion in 'TR650' started by bikehunter, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JBrown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Thanks to everyone involved in this. I appreciate all the time you have spent. This is going to be a must have purchase for me in the near future. Back in the summer when my check engine light came on I had to drive 5.5 hrs one way to get it checked out. None of the dealers around Kansas City would help me so I drove to halls cycle in Illinois. I was scheduled to leave the next day for my trip to Colorado. They got me in with one day notice and got it fixed and on my way home by noon. Saved me from canceling my trip. This is why I am going to need the gs-911 I don't want to have to go through that again.
    PaulC likes this.
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Thank you Wayne, and everyone involved for making this happen!

I did not notice the hyperlinked control unit text. Thanks for the tip. That makes it more clear.

What I really wanted to know about how logging LC-2 data vs GS-911 real time values function is whether the O2 data from the factory ECU will provide similar data to LC-2 logging? I thought the LC-2 used a wideband O2 sensor, while the factory sensor is narrowband and I was unclear on whether similar data can be obtained from the GS-911 using the factory O2 sensor.
  3. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    Just got a GS-911 for the Strada, still haven't plugged it in to the bike but at least i can be independent from the dealers
    PaulC and mag00 like this.
  4. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    The two data sets are very different. The only time that the GS-911 data gives any actual AFR information is during the short cold start interval, and during acceleration/deceleration, times when the ECU is open loop. And lambda sensor voltage is a very coarse indicator of AFR. Further, with the GS-911 you only get 1-2 samples per second.

The LC-2 reports actual AFR, every 12.5 mS (from memory), accurately from 10:1 to 22:1. And with an LC-2 you can shift lambda to richen your mixture.

I use both GS-911 and LC-2 but for very different purposes.
  5. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Although there are several functions of the GS-911 that require a Windows PC to be connected, realtime values can be logged to the flash memory inside the GS-911 wifi at about 1 sample per second. If you log all values to a PC, I've had rates up to 2.5 samples per second.
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The GS911 is limited in sample rate by the OBDII link speed as Roger indicates, the STD o2 sensor response time is not much faster anyway
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Orded mine today from Twisted Throttle. :cheers:
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    AAAGH, I checked my tracking, and it seems stalled out. I saw on the news about a fedex semi crashing in Nashville, I think my GS911 may have been on that truck AAAAGH:(

Last tracking was in Glade Springs VA at 1:05 am on the 5th.
  9. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    The GS-911 now reports three types of trim data for the BMW R1200: lambda control factors (short term) and multiplicative & additive trims (long term). Is there any trim data reported for the TR650?
  10. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Not at this stage, there may well be some development work on that but the Hella and Magnetti Marelli ECU's are used on a lower number of models so I would expect Hexcode to concentrate on rolling that type of data out for the Bosch first as the work could then be applied to so many more models
  11. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Thanks Wayne, I asked about it because when/if that becomes available so many other fueling (non)enhancement questions get resolved.
  12. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Gonna hook it up tomorrow :cheers: Happy camper here.
    gs911-strada-screem.jpg

Hey Wayne, is that you on the boards at hexcode? Anyway thanks for all your work with hexcode to make this happen.

I had a little trouble getting it going, probably my netbook. It is the one I had issues with running the other bmw software.

I now own 3 bikes that can benefit from this tool, two on this screen and one r100rs.

I sent those plugs back. Vender said a bad batch made it out of the factory, they have had a couple others complain. Sure hope they get it sorted.
  13. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Good to see you have the GS9111 there Mag00, not sure what you mean re "on the boards at Hexcode" but I said I would push it along, took a little longer than I would have hoped but we got there, more to come as well on dash and ABS diagnostics

Make sure you do the firmware updates on it and have a cup of coffee, dont get impatient with it when is says updated there is a second dialogue box which pops up later and I always wait for it to pop up

Re the Pulstars, yes suspected one plug was not firing,, that was the symptom you had and having discussed the Husky use of the Pulstar's with the Company founder I knew they would do the right thing

When you hook up the GS911, do it on both Husky's, do an autoscan, email the text which comes up to yourself as it will tell us the firmware version of each ECU, that data is important for everyone as it helps build the case that machines were sold without properly being updated prior to sale. If you can then email it to me I would appreciate it
    snail_72 likes this.
  14. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    This is the scan from the Strada, I have not hooked up to Terra yet. I cannot find a section or place to reset the service wrench indicator and cannot find any place that specifically resets adaptive memory or calibrates the tps etc. In other words it does not appear to get to the maintenance functions. Any ideas on how to get to these functions? Do I have to be connected to internet to use the other functions?

The fan does not come on until the engine temp is 220 or more degrees. Then it cuts off after cooling to 203. If the coolant in the radiator were colder than the engine temp, the thermostat would regulate the engine temp to a steady 103 degrees.

Anyway I am going back to the library to try another update. I remember a two stage update process the first time, but maybe not the second. I h

12.0V
    GS-911wifi | AutoScan | Perform Basic AutoScan

AutoScan
    Base System Version 0.246 - 0.137
    Serial Number GS1 004 376
    Date 2016-05-11 11:41:06
    Bike Information
    VIN ZKH0H12B3DV004109
    Odometer 17857.2 mls
    Factory I-Level KH24-12-08-500
    Actual I-Level KH24-13-02-500
    Distance to next service 0.0 mls
    Service due date 01-01-2011
    Motorcycle Date 02-01-2012

BMSE
    Controller Name BMSE
    Part No. 08532185
    Hardware Index C1
    Coding Index 00
    Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) 2012-09-06
    MCV 0.6.4
    FSV 20.30.0
    OSV 2.3.1
    Manufacturer Magneti Marelli
    VIN ZKH0H12B3DV004109
    Odometer 17857.2 mls
    Factory I-Level KH24-12-08-500
    Actual I-Level KH24-13-02-500
    Fault Codes 2

10087 Oxygen sensor circuit malfunction
    Currently present NO

10083 Malfunction of Coil 2 circuit <---pulstar did that
    Currently present NO

ABS8M1
    Controller Name ABS8M1
    Part No. 08538816
    Hardware Index D0
    Coding Index 00
    Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) 2012-01-13
    MCV 0.6.5
    FSV 1.2.0
    OSV 3.4.32
    Manufacturer Bosch
    VIN V004109
    Variant H61 SM Street Motorad
    Fault Codes 0
    No Faults found

KOMBI18
    Controller Name KOMBI18
    Part No. 08543235
    Hardware Index C0
    Coding Index 03
    Manufacturer MTA
    Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) 2012-09-17
    MCV 0.6.4
    FSV 1.5.0
    OSV 3.3.10
    Assembly No. 08543235
    Fault Codes 0
    No Faults found
    PaulC likes this.
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    OK, that is old firmware (08532185) on the BMS-E so it needs updating, see my post in the recall thread on that subject

I take it you were using WiFi to talk to the bike?, that gives emergency (out on the road) functions plus real time logging as well as access to cloud maintenance

You could use the PC App or cloud for the maintenance functions such as service indicator reset and adaption resets, there is no TPS calibration as that is not needed on the 650, it continuously calibrates

We have an expert on using the cloud maintenance functions on Cafe Husky, Sussurf can guide you through it, I only watched while he tested it :)

The fan is set to come on at 102c it is the standard value used on all the BMW water cooled models
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I figured it was not updated, because it acted like my Terra did before it got the update. I may hook up the Terra tomorrow and get some readings. But more than likely, going to take the Strada for a nice ride. Got it all lowered, and shined up.

I don't think I am using wifi, never configured it, and use the usb cable. I run a tether to my mac from cell phone (usb tether), and that is my internet. I tried updating today, but it seems the hex site was giving error 400.

So what I did is set up parallels with windows 7 on my mac. Got it all set up and seems to be working as far as connecting to the hex servers, and gs911, but have not plugged into the bike to see if the cloud comes up.

I assume that the maintenance and service functions do not work unless it is connected to the cloud. Hopefully I get things working.

I did some real time testing and was looking at the stepper motor and tps angle and percent.
  17. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Tell me more re the Terra update, you had not previously mentioned that, I normally use WiFi unless I need to do more detailed tests, I forgot to let you know the Windows WiFi utility does not work with WInXP as it is no longer supported by M$ etc, I never use the utility anyway, comes with being in Telecoms/IT for so many years that I just dont need it
  18. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I much prefer cabling. My Terra stalled horribly in the early days, I went to the dealer and at the 600 mile service had the look into it. They installed the updates or something at that time. Fixed the stalling.

I dropped it once turning when it stalled when I tried to open throttle for the turn, and again, when I was turning left onto a faster road and nearly dropped it infront of oncoming traffic. It would stall in traffic taking off etc. All the classic problems.
  19. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Understand that the GS911 WiFi is 2 tools in one, when connected via cable it is a "pass thru" with the PC software providing the intelligence to do diagnostics

When connected via WiFi it is using inbuilt intelligence and for real time recording out on the road that is the inbuilt intelligence used
    Going to be interesting to see what the version numbers are on the Terra firmware then, approx what date was that update ?
  20. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Question then, in both modes do I need internet to get full functionality? In the list of things to choose, the last item, it thing "service" or something like that, there is a what appears to be a cloud in front of it in the menu and that option is not clickable for me. Is that where the major repair functions will be?

If not, I cannot find a selection to get anywhere to reset the service wrench, read an o2 graph or any of the things the website show being able to do. Also Hex website shows screens with different versions of their own platform. Is it that they just haven't updated their site?

I think I got my Terra in May of 13 became a member here in June, so right around June or July of 2013 and I think the original owner bought the Strada in Jul of 13. I was the first to get hooked up to moss for updates at my dealer, and don't know how many they did back then, not many it looks like LOL.