GS-911 service tool

Discussion in 'TR650' started by bikehunter, Apr 11, 2014.

1. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Internet is needed only for cloud functionality maintenance functions which you are calling repair functions
    Use the Function Chart to follow which functions are implemented in each mode, you need to look around menu's a little more (WiFi/PC)
    Do the autoscan on the Terra, seeing which version it is will be very useful to nail down when Dealers had access to that last firmware release

One aspect to note is it is best to hook up a charger/power supply when doing diagnostics, that is what Dealers are supposed to do, in the car pro workshops we use very expensive supplies where both voltage and current are adjustable to suit the vehicle.

For diags on the Terra I have been pulling fuse 2 to eliminate headlight which one Dealer overheated and damaged I noticed

The supply I use is only a 14v 2 amp unit, mine is a DIY job with no fancy rubbish I set up just for the GS and is proving very good on the Terra as well. It was topping up the battery very nicely when doing the beta testing on Sussurf's machine
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I noticed that too, that the voltage dropped rather quickly with key on and no charger. For what I was doing I just kept going. LED lights did get warm, but nothing close enough to melt.

I just got back from the dealer, and the owner said I could hook up the GS 911 to the 2014 TR650 on the showroom floor. They say that should have the latest updates.

So this Strada, even running poorly is a blast. I have it lowered to where I can actually touch the ground with my feet. The sputtering and stalling is a big issue. Never choked it out, but I am paying closer attention to the situation to not have it happen. I will plug my dobeck tuner in to it in the near future. Might be a good candidate for the injector upgrade too, probably at the time of valve adjust and major work.

I can't count on KTM/Husky/BMW to have a fix anytime soon so the extra work must be done by me, sooner than later.

I have the luxury of swapping out ecu and dash from bike to bike to test. I may try that too. Worst case scenario for me is I add the Micro Squirt to the Strada. I will be getting one hopefully before Christmas, for the Beemer project. How hard could it be? Lose 30 pounds of superfluous wiring and electo gismos LOL. (on bmw)
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Scanned the Terra, due to usb port and zip issues, I'll load it later.

The version is 08543016 on my Terra

3 codes

coil, 02 and tank vent ground.

I did the canister removal on the Terra, and the Strada still has the canister so I'm pretty sure that code is going to stay.
  4. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    OK, you just proved that the Dealers did have the final update available in mid 2013 as 08542016 is the last US firmware version

Re the other problems, best handling them away from this thread but be aware that eliminating tank vent valve in the manner you have means the BMS-E is periodically leaning off the the fuel supply as it expects fuel from the vent when it turns on.
  5. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    The 911 is a great tool. A "cold start" log that begins before you touch the starter and ends after 4-5 minutes (no touching the throttle) can tell you a lot.

What do you think is causing the O2 code? Is there more text with the code or does it just say "O2"?
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Back when I hooked up the eruption, I fired it up without connecting it. It had just tripped the code but issue was resolved, like the coil.
  7. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    I had an O2 error, I cleared it and it did not re-present. But I did buy another O2 sensor off ebay a month ago and installed it then.
    THis is a great tool.
    Real_time.JPG
    The fan kicked in @ 102C
    Copy_data.JPG

Hey Dave, did you get this?
    Bike call.JPG

:thinking:?which one is calling me?:D
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Paul, be aware the iLevel shown on that print out is in error it should say KH24 XXXXX, it is a bug to be fixed in the next update
    PaulC likes this.
  9. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

I see its correct in the utility
    Auto-scan-15-05-16.JPG
    Thanks
  10. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I have totally different windows/panels that have most of the info, but no side menu or top breadcrumbs, and my service is not clickable.

That calling window looks familiar, but I can't swear by it. There was so much going on when I loaded the software and registered, the windows updates hogged all my computer resources and I could not back out of any of the programs. I finally got update stopped and disabled, but I think it was too late to recover most of the screens that happened during the process.

Did you see anyplace to change when the fan switches on?
  11. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    BMW/Husky did not make the fan turn on temperature a coding parameter so no diagnostic tool including the Dealer Diags can change that value

The temperature for fan turn on is the same across all BMW water cooled models

The screens Paul posted for O2 with graphing are from the PC version
  12. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:

Yeh sorry about that 3rd pic, just pulling your leg!:o

Why don't you pick up a 2nd-hand Win7 laptop for the workshop? It could save you some grief. And if you have the ability to clone drives get an SSD 128 ($50), supercharge it!

I tried the Device 2 Device function today, (out on the road) with the iphone. Worked pretty well.

"Removed fuse 2" while i was stuffing about and rode home like that.
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I have windows machines, it is just that the phone tether works with my mac.

I have hex and the other diagnostic software on a toshiba netbook. But as I said, I have totally different looking interface. Different from what you posted and different from what is on the hex website.
  14. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Post a pic of what you consider is different
  15. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    So I just got done removing and re installing the hex program (netbook) and now I have v 1603, which is showing the screens like posted. Tomorrow I will hook up to bike and see how it all goes. I also set up the pdanet so I have internet connection on netbook.

I was just going nutz trying to figure this out, but evidently I got some old version or so it would seem. Or maybe it was a newer version, I thought I had the newest when I grabbed it the first time.
  16. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Works like a champ!
    PaulC likes this.
  17. minimotochica Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TR650
    Hola,

I am about to take a 6 month + road trip through Latin America on my TR650 from Austin, TX. So far the bike has been a dreamboat and I picked it up from the previous owner who kept it in immaculate condition. It has been brought to a dealer to fix that stalling recall and the seller did mention that I should get a GS911 to reset the codes after I change the oil and air filter. Ive changed the oil once but not the air filter and the bike still runs great without using that diagnostic tool.

So my question is, how necessary is it to purchase this tool and take it with me on my trip? Honestly I have no idea how to use it and it looks like there is a smattering of BMW dealerships along the Pan American Hwy, albeit hundreds of miles apart. Would asking a local dealership to check my codes also suffice?

Any explanation of why I should/ shouldn't purchase the tool, how you've used it in the past, and ease of use is appreciated!
  18. Rayman Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husquarna Svartpilen 701 2019
    Hola! You really don't, unless your bike is malfunctioning, I would not worry about. Awesome bike, I picked mine 2 months ago and I love it.
    minimotochica likes this.
  19. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    I use MotoScan Ultimate app on my Android phone. Far less expensive.
  20. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    what functionality does it offer these days? It used to be quite limited.