GS-911 service tool

Discussion in 'TR650' started by bikehunter, Apr 11, 2014.

1. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Thanks for the info.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  2. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    No worries

Re your comment "I only see the need in a home-servicing context (i.e. wipe the service+error stuff, reset the adaptive values....and that's pretty much it, don't need a diagnostic tool telling me if the indicators or brake light work)"

The GS911 just like the Dealer Diags systems does component triggering. When fault finding fuel pump, fan, injectors etc using the triggering capability is the only way to confirm the BMS-E is operational and that an output driver has not failed. On some of the components the GS911 does it better than the Dealer System

The Terra uses the dash as the indicator relay and so diagnostics via a GS911 is again the way in which you would determine that the indicator output stages in the Dash are operational. On the indicators I would definitely be fitting LEDs if they are not already LED to minimise load on the dash
    engineerk9 and vodka like this.
  3. uNcL3ZA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada & Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    None
    Great! Thanks for the info Wayne. I'm definitely going to be investing in one.

BTW what kind of alarm functionality does the GS-911 offer presently, and what have they planned for future developments.

Will I be able to reset any of the ignition key security functions in the event I lose my one and only key?
  4. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Interesting questions you ask, the answers may not be what you are looking for though

Let me say I regard BMW deficient in these modern designs in that they have a digital dash and push buttons which should have had the functionality inbuilt to display fault code numbers and then clear the faults but unlike other make/models they have not done it

The GS911 does not act as an alarm for faults which I think is what you are asking, the dash should tell you there are faults and then the diags system is what you would use to get the details then test the component if needed

Working with modern ECU's needs to be considered in 3 parts

Diagnosis
    Coding
    Programming

GS911 does the first and where customization parameters can be identified also does the second but does not do the third

For the Terra we do not know of any customization parameters in the dash or BMS-C, perhaps there are some

Re the key situation there are some aspects to do with that in my mind but I need to look at a physical dash in detail before I stick my neck out
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    You can order up a key from any husky dealer. You need to prove ownership, they will tell you the acceptable paperwork. They take that info and email it to Husky, they then approve it and send you a key, ready to work.

The moss system was allegedly able to unprogram the lost key.

It took 6 months to get my spare key. Should be alot faster now that the KTM parts line has integrated the Husky pars. The first time trying the key, it did not work (ews). The second try it did. Plan on $80 for the key, unless your dealer is kind, then you may see at cost of $40.
  7. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Yeah....all that might apply to the US.... different thing in other places, though!!
    (one of the many reasons, many Kiwi' and Aussies are getting their parts through US dealers; the ONLY way to get anything, at least within a reasonable time-frame.....a month or 2 is still better than 12months -to- never).

First, let's find a Husky dealer in this place!
    And so starts the journey....

As for the price....weeeell...still got some photos around when I was after a Terra front guard assembly, the 2 plastic halves/ 2 fork guards/ some small parts like clips and cable guide.
    Halls was USD 55, the local guys the equivalent of USD 160 (then, now ~ USD125)

That pretty much applies to every part over here....and the NZ market is part of the AUS distro-system AFAIK.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  8. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
    Just received the Hex Code WiFi, yet to try it out but impressed so far with the down loads.
    duibhceK likes this.
  9. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
  10. bikehunter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, bmw, moto guzzi
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Hi Wayne

Forgive me if I missed something but, do you think we will ever be able to adjust the fuel mapping for our TRs? with the GS-911 service tool. And maybe timing?

Merry Christmas and Thanks
    pc
    Mark_H likes this.
  12. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Hi Paul, hope you are having a merry xmas break

The GS911 is a diagnostics tool only but on models which allow it it does coding of customisable parameters

It is not a programming tool and does not perform that function for any models

The problems the TR has are not a matter of changing the main mapping tables per se, the belief that the problems can be resolved by doing so are illogical/irrational, the problems are in other areas of the firmware which is why firmware updates are important
    PaulC likes this.
  13. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    PaulC likes this.
  14. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Would

That'd be great!!

But wouldn't that entail the means and knows to write different maps in the first place?
    Loading those into the ECU would then be another issue, I guess.
    PaulC likes this.
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Announcement from Hexcode to GS911 owners today

GS-911 V1603.1 is available for download as well as a software upgrade for the GS-911wifi interfaces

The major changes in this release are service functionality for BMSE controllers (this includes Husqvarna bikes) and cloud service functionality for BMSC and BMSC II controllers in the GS-911wifi web interface.

The Cloud services including component testing was done today on a Terra owned by one of the CH inmates here in Sydney, it passed with flying colours

All the adaption resets etc needed for the Terra/Strada are in the release. They have an updated function chart online to see what features are in there
    engineerk9 likes this.
  16. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Wow, that is great.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  17. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Wayne, how does the GS-911's real-time values function for monitoring the factory O2 sensor compare with using the LC-2 for monitoring the O2?

HEX's website is confusing concerning what functionality can actually be performed with what user device. Anyone know how much of the functionality can be performed through an iPhone/iPad? Can I reset the service indicator? Can I monitor the real-time values? Are you required to get things up and running from a Windows PC first?
    engineerk9 likes this.
  18. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Wayne,

Question from the ignorant: How do I avail myself of this? I assume I have to find a BMW dealer with this tool to take advantage (said I was ignorant!). Thanks. -Scott
  19. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Answers to the questions for all of you are below and before anyone asks, no, Terra/Strada/Nuda owners were not at the end of the development queue, the BMSE equipped G650GS/Sertao models are also added in this software/Firmware release

Hasenpleffer
    Real time values from LC2 and GS911 are limited by the speed of the communications link to the PC/Device you are using

In the case of GS911 since it communicates with the Engine ECU via a slow OBDII link/protocol the sample rate is not what I would like (CANDiags on the latest models is rather fast) but it is pushed to the limit while staying reliable, I did a 6 hour 500 km log on my own Dakar to try to break it and I did not succeed

I would need to look again at the LC2 to confirm but from memory you are sampling direct from the 02 and so I would expect a better sample rate. The GS911 and LC2 have different purposes though and LC2 is not for everyone

Hexcode's function chart is confusing ?, yes I found it that way and famously told Hexcode it was confusing, they had great delight in telling me I did not click on the final link (the specific Control Unit) to get the details, I then had a slightly red face

Go to this page for the Terra, you will see the 4 control units listed, click on Engine and it brings up a page with the functions and what is implemented etc for PC/Web Interface, there is more work for them to do and they will do it.

Yes service Reset was implemented back in December last year for Terra/Strada/Nuda, I know Nuda owners are using it, we reset the Terra yesterday as it was having a 20,000 km service

Yes you can monitor real time values and we did that July last year to get a better understanding of the firmware behaviour. You set up recording from a phone/tablet/PC and the web interface then let it run, for up to a year or so if you wish

Yes iPhone/iPad is fully supported for the web interface, this was part of the reason to go to the WiFi/Web interface. Hexcode actually use MAC's/iPhones/iPads in the development labs

Re GS911 WiFi set up, firmware updates etc. You can do it from Phone/Tablet/WindowsPC/MAC/LinuxPC it is only the PC software which needs Windows. It all comes down to your ability to drive the devices

I normally use the Web Interface and an Android tablet but also have a no name 8" Windows 8.1 tablet I carry round for using the PC application then a ruggedised Notebook which I prefer not to use.

I only get the Win8 tablet or Notebook out to do software testing. Remember that my use of these things in testing is different to yourselves and when I plug into a bike which is not mine I prefer Android and a device not connected to the internet etc so the owner is assured there are no nasty viruses on any of my gear.

Scott,
    Sou can buy the GS911 WiFi from Beemershop in the US, they are the distributors for the US and every person I have encountered who has bought one for any BMW etc praises them for the customer service. Many BMW authorised dealers use the GS911 for service work as it is simpler,quiclker and easier than the BMW Dealer System, they go to the BMW System for Programming/Replacing ECU's.

Everyone
    You should thank Sussurf for trusting me and spending a large amount of time over the last year in testing as each beta came out, yesterday he did all the button pressing not me, I just laughed at him and gave him a hard time when he pressed the wrong buttons and made notes of where I felt the software could be improved etc which is now all with Hexcode and they do listen, many little suggestions the beta team has made are all now in the product

You should also know it was Mag00 who asked me to get involved and organised the people here for me to do the testing so you can blame him for my presence round here. I do, it has all taken up a lot of my time but we have had some fun and a few laughs along the way. Sussurf and EngineerK9 have been good to meet and get to know and now we have a good tool to use on the Terra/Strada/Nuda
  20. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Thanks Wayne! Thanks to all you guys "down under" for working this all out.

I just haven't pulled the trigger on buying this gadget yet. Probably this summer. Been very busy with my other toys, and just drive the Terra periodically at this time.
    engineerk9 and PaulC like this.