Gas Gas to aquire Italian Husqvarna engines 2T and 4T

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Norman Foley, Feb 28, 2014.

1. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

It's meant as basically a low count specialty bike. So, compare Husky's sales of what 10 thousand bikes/yr compared to Honda's 15 million bikes a year.

Husky, Gas Gas, Sherco, Beta will never have that sales volume, so they maintain a kind of built for a select market philosophy.
  2. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

thank you.

r
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Rare, not common.
  4. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Small volume
  5. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    Now that makes more sense, except wasn't it said that the tooling was moved already? Maybe premature info. Anyway, a Chinese op in the old factory would satisfy parts obligations a lot cheaper than the Italian union crew. How would they pull that off though?
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I'm starting to think there is some chinese monkey biz going on here. This recent info / maybe rumor and this bike...

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/first-look-–-gas-gas-ec-250-4t-cami.40216/

...looking pretty chinese built, maybe GG/OSSA and the chinese are up to something?
  7. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    They have done stuff like that before though, with Chinese air cooled motors. The Enduros and Trials bikes always stayed in Spain. Whats funny about the old factory thing is how often do the Chinese mfg out of China? If GG has the rights to the designs, can SP still mfg parts? If the rights deal is true, and that part does seem so, it would make more sense that GG would be setting up a Chinese contract mfg for the motors. That would be a lot easier, cheaper, and safer than trying to do it in house.
  8. twowheels Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    hoping for a WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    18 Beta 125RR; 16 TM 144/300
    In the 'Vinduro world' where all bikes have air-cooled engines this may be true ...
  9. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's some funny stuff right there!
  10. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800

Old (2014 Husky and older) X-lite motors = assembled in Italy by Husqvarna

New (purchased by GG) X-lite motors = assembled by GasGas

The point of assembly of the X-lite motors, with regard to continued usage by GasGas, will be different than the point of assembly of all previous X-lite motors. GMP is cautioning that this may be bad (I, personally, don't have an opinion on that subject). Doesn't seem complicated to me. :excuseme:
  11. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    An off-topic thought:

Everybody here is seemingly thinking that this is a positive development. I hope that guys over at the GasGas forums are complaining about the new "HuskyGas" bikes and jumping ship because they don't want a rebadged Husky engine in their bikes. Would be good karma for all the griping you guys did with the KTM buyout. :lol:
    twowheels, MotoMarc36 and Motosportz like this.
  12. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Gas Gas has always been a hodge podge bike with mismatched parts. Nothing new here.
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

Be very careful about Husqvarna manufactured X-Lites. They take a significant amount of money to get them to run right, then they grenade. If you've got a factory support team behind you that tears down every engine, modifies it, and replaces it when it wears out then I'm sure it can be a good racing platform, but for the average sport rider, I've gotta say it sucks.
    Tessier likes this.
  14. MikeB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Every one has an opinion .... often based upon experience .... in my personal experience after 120 HARD hours with ZERO problems I managed to fail to connect the vapor return line correctly and lost all of the engine oil .... which resulted in a piston seizure .... according to ZipTy the rest of the motor looks perfect. The engine is not an old Vinduro style air cooled XR (:cool:) but it's far from a complete grenade either. That said .... I've worked in manufacturing enough to guess that there might be a bit of a learning curve in the process of putting these little engines together so they stay together.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  15. GMP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing
    That's it, if the Husky motor is so critical from a mfg standpoint, in the Italian plant and with support from the design engineers, odds are its not going to be better, at least in the short term, from a new startup operation.

Let's face it, it's a very "on the edge" design with light weight and high output as priorities. This places high demands on materials, cost, and precision to achieve a reasonable life. It's just a basic design compromise.

GG has attempted a 250F several times since the craze started from the original YZ250F. There have been prototypes, and some even made it to WEC races. They could never make it both survive and produce good power.
  16. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Name one bike this setup has been successful on ? BTW, I would take a aircooled bike anytime and win on it. Been there and done that. Still can.
    454x and MikeB like this.
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    From gasgasrider.org......

Downtime - server maintenance and upgrade
    Jeff.

They must be installing Husky parts.....:busted:
    Tessier likes this.
  18. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    BS ...And thanks for the opportunity to call BS :) ...

First and foremost, I do not spend money on Huskies to get them right ... That's almost comical ... I don't even change plugs very often but I do add alot of pump gas to their tank... Just the average dirt rider type gas from the Shell station ... Nothing fancy for me, for sure, and my Huskies. They are all GO and not for a show. Notice how stock my bikes are except for the graphics... Sorry Charlie, but I like ~everything about them, even stock.

My xlite engines:
    1st - 2010 TC250 - 140 hrs and counting
    2nd - 2010 TC250 -- 230 hrs and counting
    3rd - 2012 TC250 -- Just got it :) .. Expect to see more on this bike and the 010 bikes in the coming yrs here. I'm gonna get my moneys' worth out of these harda$$ Huskies dirt bikes before I pass them on to the next Husqvarna rider.

Go to the ride report section here on the cafe for ~4 yrs(?) worth of my riding videos and don't forget to check the racing section also for my racing videos and pics ... I've probably got 300 ride videos on Youtube to watch also ...You'll stumble across my 08 TXC250 out there also ... ~950 hrs before its' engine needed work also ...
    --

Yep, the Husky xlite engines have won a few championships around the world ... And competed well in many other races ...
  19. rasputin Husqvarna
    AA Class

rotax 129. aprilia rsw 125.
    these are road-race engines, not dirtbike engines, but still...

r
    454x likes this.
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'm not sure how you measure success? Yamaha 250F and 450F reverse engines are doing well this season, in Eastern US off road racing.