GAS -GAS 2018

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by visiteur1948, Jul 11, 2017.

1. rschneider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310
    I would guess the extra weight has to be in the motor. This got brought up Sun after our ride. One guy wondered if the motor is still being sand cast, that could explain it. Regardless, you are correct its too much.

I still stand by my guess they are buying frames from WP and the frame is closely based on the last generation KTM frame. And everything else looks fairly standard, I would have guessed 230ish.
    Norman Foley and robertaccio like this.
  2. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
  3. rschneider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310
    Looking forward to a ride report.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Fletch dare to be different and Glutton for GasGas punishment.
    fletchman45 likes this.
  5. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I looked closely at one while at halls.....very cool.....however....no counterbalanced engine and a dry weight of 240! And more money then a husky.....i never in my life thought I'd say this in my lifetime...but if I didn't ride a husky (made by ktm) id probably ride a ktm...rumor I here is they are not selling well....great trail bike for someone who wants to be different or great race bike for poppeye...
    LandofMotards likes this.
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I seriously considered waiting until the '18 GG 200 arrived, before buying a bike this year. I'm glad I didn't, because the '18 GG 200 will probably weigh what the GG 250/300 does. That's more than my '16 KTM 200 did and I was so glad to shed the extra 16 lbs, that it weighs over my '18 TE150.

Gas Gas has made a big leap forward, but only to the last generation KTM/Husky, not the present.
    fletchman45 and LandofMotards like this.
  7. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Still waiting to see news on the GG200. People were saying the Sherco wasn't going to weigh less bit it came in at 209 with everything but fuel and thats the enduro one not the XC version (SC). Beta is entering the market with a 125 too but not going to offer a race edition. If you can find them though, a te150 is about to have some great deals soon
  8. rschneider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC310
    https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/2018-gas-gas-xc300-ride-review-test

The part that got my interest is the comment about it being a bit roomier than the current KTM/Husky. When ride the current KTM/Husky it feels like riding a mini-cycle to me. And lets not even talk about the Beta XTrainer. One of the reasons I went with my 310 was that it felt a bit bigger(that and the price I got it for). One of the downsides of being 6'5". I am willing to deal with a little more weight if I am comfortable on the bike.
    Kam1, fletchman45 and rancher1 like this.
  9. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    GasGas-HVA-500x316.jpg

new GAS GAS
    450 ENDURO 2018
    motor HUSQVARNA italian
    (not KTM )
    Johnrg likes this.
  10. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF

i think its been posted sometime earlier last year... before Gasgas went bankrupt they bought the husky 4t engines...
  11. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Have you lot seen the road legal kit these come with . It has a 20 mm carb . Not even joking .
  12. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    RON_1203web.jpg

YES ITALY MILANO EICMA SHOW 2015
    PRODUCTS FOR 2018 !!!
    HUSKYGASGAS-753x411.jpg
  13. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
    Didnt they also buy the 250/300 Husky WR Engines???
  14. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    0410185082.jpg
    electric gas gas for kid !
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  15. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF

i dont think so- Gasgas Engines have been introduced in 1997 i think- thats more then ten years difference between them and the original Cagiva Engines from 1985 ish
  16. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Kam1 and NCSteve like this.
  17. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    hammer likes this.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I've been riding a new 2018 GasGas 300 the last few rides. It's a demo bike. I have 3 solid rides in very different areas on it now. Here is my assessment...

BTW I have zero fight in the game, don't own a GG, don't have any real involvement.

1st ride - Bend Oregon at the husky demo, short ride in more open high dez.

I liked the bike immediately. It fits me near perfect (bars need to be a bit higher for standing) and was really easy for me to get on and feel at home. The motor is nice,. pulls hard like a 300 should and has a nice long usable powerband. It's quite a bit different then the more middle feeling older motors. It's like the old motor with more snap and power. The old motor was very good, this one is even better. One of the first things I notice was how well it seemed to handle. Very neutral, very planted,does what you ask of it, nothing more nothing less. Then I noticed the suspesnion, semi firm but not harsh and feels really good for stock components. Everything else about the bike worked great and everything seems well designed and works for you when under way.

I was really looking forward to trying it in deep woods where I usually ride.

Ride 2 - Tillamook state forest (Deep slick woods)

Now we are in my main riding type. Deep, mossy, slick, clay, steep, technical woods. I was riding with 3 other guys, all very competent and fast. I felt really good on the bike. It freaking handles fantastic, I love the way it turns. I would rate the handling above the husky / KTM and Beta platforms. It's that good. I ride a ton of different bikes and this one is my all time favorite handling bike. So neutral and always working for you. The suspension also impresses and a few clickers clicked and wow, great stock suspension. One glaring issue I did not notice at the much higher elevation Bend ride was not as near sea level the bike pings and knocks really bad under load. This was disapointing as I freaking loved the rest of the bike. Was still very good and the guy were complementing my on my speed and fluid line choices.

Ride 3 - Hood River / Mt Hood area. Good variety of terrain but mostly woods.

Before this ride I thought I would ritchen the needle to see if I could eliminate the pinging. The needle was all the way lean and after talking to the rep it was because they were testing it in Idaho at elevation before i got it. I put it to the middle position and headed out. WOW, OK the motor works now. Crazy good power everywhere. No map switch or adjustable powervalve needed, this motor is the shit. Short shift and lug it like crazy or let it get into the mid rang and hold the F on. It does sign off slightly earlier that I had expected but I NEVER wised for more or better power. So now we ahve a bike that flat rips, handles fantastic, has great stock suspension, feels wonderful and seems super willing to help you do what you are trying to do. Everything from this point is nit picking and even then its hard to finds something to complain about.

Ups:
    • handling is fantastic
    • Suspoesnion is VERY good
    • Motor is excellent
    • Bike build quality looks just as good as anything and it has been super simple to work on.
    • The way it tracks on slick grooved out technical challenging down hills is next level. Never have I ridden a bike that you don't have to fight in those conditions. This bike tracks so well it makes hard things easier. this bike works for/with you so much it makes you feel like a better rider.
    downs:
    • Bars are a little low for me
    • Starter is a "restarter" and does not work well when in gear.
    • Rear tire is kinda crappy
    • The motor while pretty smooth is not as smooth as the counterbalanced KTM/Husky.
    Summation:

I have ridden several last generation GG's and honestly kinda hated them. My friend has one and has issue after issue with it and is not in love. I honestly was not expecting this much improvement and be such a good bike. This bike seriously feels like it has had years of refinement. I never thought I would say this but this bike pretty much nails it for me. I like the new husky/KTMs, I like the Betas maybe slightly more and I like this one the best of all of them. Its that good, for me.

Right now I am decking out and building the most amazing 2018 TE250i (EFI 2 stroke). This bike is going to have everything and be about as good as this platform can be. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up as the GG is now my new bench mark for off road 2 strokes.

This new GG is for real, don't over look it.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    gots_a_sol, NCSteve and Kam1 like this.
  19. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

You just put my exact feelings in writing. It's my wife's bike (EC250) and I ride it every chance I get.
  20. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Funny how opinions vary....i have nothing against gas gas...at all...i havnt ridden a 18 however I have heard from and ex double aa....(I can't mention the name but this guy has been everywhere and was the s hit in his day)....that the 18 gas gas feels heavy...and it is a pig..look at the true dry weights...and feels barbaric and old school compared to the new generation husky/ktms....i get it one bike fits a different rider or may work better...i put beta behind husky for sure...my benchmark for sure is a 17 and up husky...probably one of the biggest reasons is weight or lack of and the.counterbalenced engine ..that my friend is the true benchmark...there is no excuse for a two stroke to weigh 240 dry...think it don't matter sure if your trail riding or superman...think vibration don't matter...its fine if your young or like hands going numb..sorry gas gas...seat height super tall as well....your sexy but don't even have in mold graphics...i still like gas gas but not near worthy of benchmark in my book...