Dakar 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Ruffus, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Oh hell yeah! I know that the two stars and KTM still shine bright, but I'm loving the performances the Husky riders are putting in. They're riding well and definitely representing the niche brand. We need more like this to help expand the market awareness.

And knowing that winning meant beating the asshat Frenchman only makes it sweeter.
    Ruffus likes this.
  2. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

2012, Stage 10
    Iquique - Arica
    694 km in total, 377 km special test

Historic stage win for Husqvarna

Joan Barreda and the Bavarian-Italian Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain celebrated a historic win at stage ten of the Rally Dakar 2012.

Barreda managed to close the gap to his fellow countryman Marc Coma right after the start. He was able to maintain the speed of the three-time Dakar champion and both caught race leader Cyril Despres. The three riders rode a ridiculous speed all stage long, with Barreda eventually taking a convincing win. This proves two things: Barreda has the speed of the best rally pilots in the world. And the Speedbrain-developed Husqvarna rally bike is capable of victories.

Paulo Goncalves´ day also started well. The Portuguese had the virtual lead for the first 180 kilometres. A Husqvarna one-two was in the cards. But the Portuguese hit a hidden stone in the sinking sand, sending him violently over the handlebars. The bike was pretty damaged afterwards, luckily the rider was okay. Goncalves fixed the bike and went back into the race. He finally arrived at Arica 19:23 minutes behind his teammate.
    Goncalves nevertheless defended seventh spot in the standings.

Jose Manuel Pellicer und Zé Hélio rode a steady stage. The Brazililan and the Spaniard are lying around the top twenty.

Team principal Wolfgang Fischer said after the stage: "All our hard work has been rewarded with this historic win. We´re extremely happy to see our bike perform that well - obviously a machine capable of winning at the Dakar against the world´s best. Earning this result is very satisfying to say the least. A stage win against two of the sport´s greatest."

1. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:18:43 hrs 2. Marc Coma (SPA) KTM, 1:32 min behind 3. Cyril Despres (FRA) KTM, 3:39 4. Helder Rodrigues (POR) Yamaha, 5:16 5. Jordi Viladoms (SPA) KTM, 8:48 12. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 19:23 19. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 35:45 27. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 42:47

Overall standings

1. Despres, 33:07:39 hrs
    2. Coma, 0:21 min behind
    3. Rodrigues, 45:56
    4. Viladoms, 1:18:52
    5. Stefan Svitko (SVK) KTM, 1:24:38
    7. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 1:41:41 14. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 3:29:27 21. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:48:22 22. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA), Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:49:06
    Ike Baker likes this.
  3. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Honda biker Daniel Gouet, from Chile, left, and Husqvarna biker David Fretigne, of France, race in the 9th stage of the 2012 Argentina-Chile-Peru Dakar Rally between Antofagasta and Iquique, Chile, Tuesday Jan. 10, 2012. (AP Photo/Martin Mejia)

LMAO, looks like someone didn't get the memo. That's Jose Manuel Pellicer.

[IMG]
  4. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Today's speed demon & Husky hero, Barreda

[IMG]
    Gotlabs likes this.
  5. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    In only his 2nd Dakar (with only two stages completed last year), Barreda Bort shows the RedBull KTM dynasty of Coma and Despres what he and his Speedbrain Husqvarna can do by winning the stage.

The team has been doing quite well all along, but this is a huge win. It says loud and clear that Husky can get it done and that it can run with the best... and beat them.
    Ruffus likes this.
  6. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

from www.dakar.com
    Joan Barreda Bort
    "After the rear wheel problems I had on the 3rd day, I've been taking it day by day. On the last stages it has been better and yesterday, for example, I saw that I could go on the attack, so I went for it. On today's stage, I had a problem with my foot. On a very quick bend, where I was at 120 kmph, I hit a stone with my foot and I thought that the impact had torn my leg off. When I arrived at the refuelling zone, I took some painkillers and it was ok until the end of the stage. I even sped up. We'll see what's happened to me. I thought I might have fractured my shin, but I don't think I have. I don't know how serious the injury is, but I think I should be ok and be able to finish in Lima"
  7. Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE510
    Strongly agree.
    Ruffus and Gotlabs like this.
  8. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just read that Goncalves got a 6 hour penalty & that he's lucky not to be disqualified outright. :cry: Damn!
  9. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Damn is right, was wondering how he dropped so far in the standings. Still great results, love seeing the bikes up front
  10. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Shit... That totally sucks. He does the sportsmanlike thing and helps Cyril, who bails on him, and its the good samaritan that gets penalized...
  11. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hey, if they credit stuck time because of the route diversion, it shouldn't be penalizable then. Or was this some other spot he got stuck in?
  12. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm thinking it's when he crashed just before the end of that stage & had to push his bike in the last 800 meters. Looked like two locals helping him push.
  13. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

14. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dakar 2012, Stage 11
    Arica – Arequipa
    705 km in total, 534 km special test

Barreda in the top five again

Thursday´s stage eleven of the Dakar 2012 provided mixed feelings for the Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain. Joan Barreda scored yet another top five result, but Paulo Goncalves´ battle for an overall podium is over following a decision by the race jury, which the team finds incomprehensible. Goncalves received a six-hour penalty and is now positioned way down the order.
    Joan Barreda opened today´s "survival" stage. He reached a river crossing at km 40 and got momentarily stuck. Barreda had to push the bike out because of the high water level. Cyril Despres and Marc Coma, who had started behind the Spaniard, therefore caught him. The trio carried on together. Despres then made a navigation error and plenty of riders joined the front-runners. That was pretty much the story of the stage. The route was beautiful, but not very difficult in terms of riding aspects. It was dusty and overtaking was close to impossible. Barreda ended the day a well-deserved fifth, promoting him to 11th overall.
    Paulo Goncalves began the stage as 16th. He was confident in the morning to make up ground. Then came the jury decision. He understandbly found it hard to concentrate afterwards. The six-hour penalty was issued due to alleged unauthorised outside assistance. The penalty refers to stage eight, when Goncalves first got stuck in a mudhole all by himself, before suffering a broken drivetrain caused by a stone. In this situation rider No. 15 accused Goncalves of receiving outside assistance. Other riders who came by at that point, and who were in direct competition with the Portuguese, do not confirm such incident. Still the jury trusted the accusations, robbing the rider and the team of any hopes of a top result overall.
    Jose Manuel Pellicer had a good day on the way to Arequipa. He made no mistakes and has improved considerably in the standings. Zé Hélio was also performing well, both riders are now sitting in the top twenty.
    The riders are on their own tonight, no service is allowed in the survival bivaouc. Barreda starts tomorrow´s stage as fifth. Things will be real difficult and interesting, with the dunes of Nasca and a special of 245 kilometres awaiting the field.

1. Cyril Despres (FRA) KTM, 4:03:37 hrs
    2. Gerard Farres Guell (SPA) KTM 1:39 min behind 3. Marc Coma (SPA) KTM, 2:01 min 4. Johnny Aubert (FRA) KTM 3:30 5. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 4:53 15. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 18:35 16. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 19:39 21. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 26:49

Overall standings

1. Despres, 37:11:16 hrs
    2. Coma, 2:22 min behind
    3. Helder Rodrigues (POR) Yamaha, 1:08:40 4. Jordi Viladoms (SPA) KTM, 1:24:46 5. Stefan Svitko (SVK) KTM, 1:34:56 11. Joan Barreda (SPA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 3:34:20 18. Zé Hélio (BRA) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 5:15:11 19. Jose Manuel Pellicer (SPA), Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 5:23:45 26. Paulo Goncalves (POR) Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain, 8:00:16

15. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Watch in full screen & you can read the subtitles :thumbsup:

16. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

17. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG]
    #12 Jose M. P. (FRA)

[IMG]
  18. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

#7 GONCALVES P. (PRT)

[IMG]
  19. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Is that the new "light-weight" rear fender??

20. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I wonder if their jerseys were 2 or 3 sizes too small? :thinking: